Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

onlymiah

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 3, 2011
Central Pennsylvania
Can anybody tell me why Java is consistently using over 1 GB of memory on my Macbook Pro?

I am at a loss as to figure out why it is doing this. :confused: I have attached a picture of memory usage. I have 702 MB free out of 8 GB!

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Attachments

• Java.jpg
    Java.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 138

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Can anybody tell me why Java is consistently using over 1 GB of memory on my Macbook Pro?

I am at a loss as to figure out why it is doing this. :confused: I have attached a picture of memory usage. I have 702 MB free out of 8 GB!

Any suggestions would be helpful.
You have a fundamental misunderstanding of your memory. The 8 GB is your installed physical RAM. OS X is not Windows 95 or System 7. OS X is certified UNIX 03. Its virtual memory system is designed to consume all available physical RAM. Free RAM is wasted RAM. The fact that your RAM is consumed by your Java Virtual Machine is of no particular consequence. If the tasks consuming the RAM are inactive, then the OS reallocates the physical RAM to tasks that need it.

onlymiah

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 3, 2011
Central Pennsylvania
This does not help me much. I am having an issue with EVERYTHING being extremely bogged down on my Mac. Once I reboot and there is more free memory everything is snappy again (something I thought I got away from when I ditched Windows!)

It is not normal for me to experience the "spinning beach ball" and an app sitting in the dock bouncing up and down while it waits to open. I have an SSD and everything is usually pretty much instantaneous.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
In my post above, I said that your OS tries to use all available physical RAM. However, you have ample RAM that is not allocated to any particular task. The fact that you have a lot of RAM allocated to Java should not be an issue. What is an issue, however, is that Java is running in the first place. Java does not run unless you have one or more Java-based applications running. The most popular Java-based applications that I know are Bittorrent clients. Are you running a Bittorrent client?

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
-Deleted-

MisterMe covered it.

Another Java app is CrashPlan, and it can consume lots of resources during its initial backup.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.