PDA

View Full Version : Buying 13" MBA in Apple Store -- what's available in store vs. needs to be shipped?

stagmeister
Aug 3, 2013, 11:26 PM
Forgive me for my ignorance but I can't seem to find any information on this online. If I walk in to an Apple Store to buy a 13" MBA, what configurations are available to purchase directly in the store, as opposed to ordering online for shipping?

bambooshots
Aug 3, 2013, 11:36 PM
I had the same question.

From what I remember, they have the base 13" MBAs in stock and the top of the line i7/8GB/512GB in stores.

I walked out with a top of the line MBA.

Ronnoco
Aug 4, 2013, 01:38 AM
I wanted the 13" i7 8g 256SSD and called every store in my area (5 of them). They had all the base units and several base plus 8GB RAM units with 256 SSD but they only had the i7 with 8GB RAM and 512. I actually wanted the i7 with 8GB RAM and 256 but all of the stores said that would have to be a special order. I ended up going for the Ultimate (i7, 8GB RAM 512SSD) and am thrilled with it.

AXs
Aug 4, 2013, 03:42 AM
I personally think it should be fine to wait 1 week to get the machine that you want, no?

kodeman53
Aug 4, 2013, 03:48 AM
Forgive me for my ignorance but I can't seem to find any information on this online. If I walk in to an Apple Store to buy a 13" MBA, what configurations are available to purchase directly in the store, as opposed to ordering online for shipping?

Calling the store would result in an accurate answer versus starting a thread here.

stagmeister
Aug 5, 2013, 02:43 PM
Just a word for those who want to know. I called Apple and they said that they only carry the base models in store. However when I spoke with the individual stores they claimed to carry the top of the line models. Who do you think was right? The store of course. And it makes sense. They want to be able to upswell customers.

old-wiz
Aug 5, 2013, 03:25 PM
different stores carry different stock depending on location. Local apple store has a number of models, but don't always have them all.

KPOM
Aug 5, 2013, 03:41 PM
Just a word for those who want to know. I called Apple and they said that they only carry the base models in store. However when I spoke with the individual stores they claimed to carry the top of the line models. Who do you think was right? The store of course. And it makes sense. They want to be able to upswell customers.

Different stores carry different configurations. The NYC stores, for instance, tend to sell more configurations than suburban stores, or stores in smaller cities. The only models "guaranteed" to be in store are the base configurations. I'd suggest calling the particular store if you are looking for the i7/8/256GB. Chances are pretty good a large city-center store will have it, but not a suburban store.

aristobrat
Aug 5, 2013, 04:22 PM
Not only do different stores stock different configs, but they stock different amounts of the higher ends.

I worked in a smaller mall store, and while the store stocked the "Max" MBA model, the stock level for that model was two. It wasn't uncommon to be out of them when asked.

For anything other than the base model, I'd always recommend calling ahead to make sure they have what you want available for sale. :)

B...
Aug 5, 2013, 06:55 PM
My local store has base, max, and 8/256.

bambooshots
Aug 5, 2013, 10:54 PM
I personally think it should be fine to wait 1 week to get the machine that you want, no?

Depends. Normally, yes, it's fine.

My case was particular in that it took me a while to actually come up with the courage to spend $$$. By the time I was ready it was time for me to be out of town for a week due to work, so I drove to the nearest Apple Store and walked out with the top end model.

Like most posters here, I am thrilled with it as well. In the end I'm glad I have the extra SDD storage option.

AXs
Aug 6, 2013, 12:12 AM
ahh i see what you mean.

To be honest, the 10 days I had to wait for my bto Air to arrive was reaaaallly long :p

Boyd01
Aug 6, 2013, 09:29 AM
Different stores carry different configurations. The NYC stores, for instance, tend to sell more configurations than suburban stores

Just returned from a stay in NYC where I got an 11" i7 8gb/512gb MBA. None of the Apple Stores (in the city or suburbs) had that. But B&H had them in stock and also gives you the choice of a laptop bag or Parallels as a bonus. I didn't want either, but the bag was a nice present for a friend. :)

From what I saw, B&H has a much better selection in stock of all the Apple laptops than anyone else. Instant gratification is a great thing, and a visit to B&H is always a lot of fun. :D

Macneck
Aug 7, 2013, 07:33 AM
ahh i see what you mean.

To be honest, the 10 days I had to wait for my bto Air to arrive was reaaaallly long :p

Ten days sounds much for you? I just ordered a MBA i7, 8GB, 256SSD here at the Canary Islands, Spain. Do you know how long it'll take them to have it here? Normally from 30-40 days, they said!!!

There's no Apple Store here but Resellers. For some reason Apple Store Spain sells to all Spain EXCEPT the Canary Islands. I guess it's because of the different tax system we have. We are neither allowed to buy at Apple.com nor at any other online Apple Store. Therefore, if you want to customize your Mac and you live in "The Fortunate Islands", you better practice Zen meditation or something.

People, please, pray for me! :.(

AXs
Aug 7, 2013, 09:54 AM
Ten days sounds much for you? I just ordered a MBA i7, 8GB, 256SSD here at the Canary Islands, Spain. Do you know how long it'll take them to have it here? Normally from 30-40 days, they said!!!

There's no Apple Store here but Resellers. For some reason Apple Store Spain sells to all Spain EXCEPT the Canary Islands. I guess it's because of the different tax system we have. We are neither allowed to buy at Apple.com nor at any other online Apple Store. Therefore, if you want to customize your Mac and you live in "The Fortunate Islands", you better practice Zen meditation or something.

I know how you feel buddy. When I placed the order at the resale store after toying around with the piece, they told me THREE WEEKS.

That's right 3 weeks. I almost ditched the whole upgrading RAM altogether.

Then I asked the tech guy, he said should be good within 2 weeks. I was like cool that's alright.

Then I confirmed date after swiping my card and signing the paperwork, and the store manager who was personally catering to my order - told me, see you in 3 to 4 weeks.

Inside my head I was like WTF 4 weeks??????!!!#%#@%@'... Gave the guy tech a dirty look, but he looked at me with a "she's full of ****" look.

And then 10 days, later, the guy called me and told me my piece had arrived. I ditched the last 2 hours of work and went to collect the baby right away.

Hopefully yours comes early too. It's not taking as much time as 'protocol' with the new Airs due to the high demand.

In the mean time, "BE COOL B**CH!" - Samuel Jackson (Pulp Fiction) [always calms me down]:D

And now if you tell me you've never watched pulp fiction I will DDOSS you. Oh wait, I'm on a MAC. Nevaminddddd.:p

DisplacedMic
Aug 7, 2013, 10:11 AM

one thing you can do is add various configurations and then see if it's available to ship or pickup.

----------

to be fair, you do get to live in paradise...no sympathy here:p

philipkroberts
Aug 10, 2013, 05:58 PM
one thing you can do is add various configurations and then see if it's available to ship or pickup.

----------

to be fair, you do get to live in paradise...no sympathy here:p

Agreed, I will fly out tomorrow and give you my brand new MBA in exchange for your entire life! :P

mtneer
Aug 10, 2013, 07:43 PM

Independence!! :D