Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

todd2000

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 14, 2005
Danville, VA
Hello I started up my computer and SmartReporter (a utility I use) poped up an error and said that there was an impeding drive falilure. I opened disk utility and it said S.M.A.R.T status - Failing. I backed everything up and Verified the disk using disk utility, and it said

Keys out of order
The volume Macitosh HD needs to be repaired
Error: The underlying task reported failure on exit.

I searched around and discovered that this is a software error with the OS.

Is it possible that the OS is corrupt and was somehow showing me that my S.M.A.R.T status was failing when the drive is ok? Or is a S.M.A.R.T status -failing deffinitally a sign of a hardware failure?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
How terribly disconcerting. Have you noticed anything strange about your Mac's performance (speed or strange behaviour)? Hopefully it's just the 10.4.3 issue of verifying from the start up drive. :)

todd2000

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 14, 2005
Danville, VA
Seems to be working ok

mad jew said:
How terribly disconcerting. Have you noticed anything strange about your Mac's performance (speed or strange behaviour)? Hopefully it's just the 10.4.3 issue of verifying from the start up drive. :)

It seems to be running ok but I assume that this can't be a good error. My main question is should I replace the HD? Is it possible to show a failing S.M.A.R.T status and still be ok? Or should I not risk it?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Yeah, keep everything well backed up and get ready to buy a new hard drive because it's quite common for the tests to be wrong about these sorts of things. :(

However, are there any other warning signs that it's failing; slow performance, clicking noise, erratic responses or anything?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.