PDA

View Full Version : Charging the podcasters for podcasting?

MacBytes
Nov 16, 2005, 12:43 AM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Apple Services
Link: Charging the podcasters for podcasting? (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20051116014354)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

Lacero
Nov 16, 2005, 12:51 AM
Podcasting is limited by few advertising sponsors and the bandwidth bill. The more successful an independent podcast, the more money it takes to keep it running.

I think when podcasting meets bittorrent, shall we see it becoming a successful model that will rival radio and TV.

mainstreetmark
Nov 16, 2005, 07:55 AM
Podcasting is limited by few advertising sponsors and the bandwidth bill. The more successful an independent podcast, the more money it takes to keep it running.

I think when podcasting meets bittorrent, shall we see it becoming a successful model that will rival radio and TV.

Wow. That, my friend, may be an idea worth thinking through....

Photorun
Nov 16, 2005, 08:54 AM

You have no idea how much I hope you're soothseeing this idealic vision, and I'm not being snarky... that WOULD be a beautiful thing. Radio, no thanks to FCC deregulation is now a cesspool of mediocrity at best, disingenuous marketing brainwashing crap at worst. Deregulation made it so giant, soulless, corporate fairly evil lousy "it's about the money not art" (kinda like the RIAA/big record labels) companies like Clear"We're Banning Songs Like Books"Channel, Cox"Sounds Like" Communications in many cities now own up to their maximum allowed under deregulation, 70%. So basically if you live in Atlanta or Chicago or LA pretty much one corporation owns all the market.

Case and point (a study I read a while back) is that in the 80s you may have had, for example, 20 different competing radio stations, add to that 20 little to larger companies that employed hundreds of people. After deregulation about 6-12+ of those stations are now just repeaters for one mothership station, that station may be in your city, or just a large, soulless, faceless mostly tape or satellite feed system from some far off market. The music, if you can even call it that, regardless of the format, which will probably be the biggest sellers like classic rock, teen crap pop, etc. and it's playlist, created by marketers to sell you their advertising based on their studies, will be comprised of at most 20-25 songs... all repeated. Like new music? Too bad, Clear"We Have No Soul"Channel and Cock-er-Cox communication stations rarely will play new music, after all, that's taking chances.

As a person who in the 90s had friends in radio, most lost their jobs as little radio stations with unique formats were rapidly gobbled up by the big monolithic corporations. The area I live outside of the city had eight little stations, it now has NONE! Technically the towers are still there, four are in use to beam some distant cities canned same 20 tracks and horrible drive-time show, some of the office space or in one case buildings are there too, vacant and dusty with old DJ booths at the window with 10 years of dust on them. It's incredibly sad. I've heard/read different figures but deregulation put tens of thousands of people out of jobs.

So now you have just about no choices in music variety in your city, or choices for talk radio either. After all, you hate filled nazi windbags like Rush, Bill O'Rielly, Dr. Laura (all kinda sound the same anyways) syndicated to play at about the same time every day in some cities on four or five stations. Talk radio being no different in terms of nothing but a one sided shouting match, like a one sided playlist, aimed at one very specific group by the SAME specific group. One thing definitely NOT in the mix after all the dust settled after FCC deregulation is a choice!

Enter podcasting. NOT that it brings back the jobs, though, anyone with the right set up, including some of my old friends, can get back into the ring. Here's a new format that challenges the very limited, very boring, very monotonous, market driven, soulless (keep using that word but that's what it is) new market model of radio. My biggest fear as it is with some podcasters is big radio scum have big radio lobbies, same ones that made called for and got the deregulation. Competition, obviously, was the last thing they wanted in the 90s and they'd rather snuff out anything remotely challenging to their goose-lock-stepping army of greed. They're fighting for restricting/limiting satellite radio and/or have been for that reason, after all, satellite offers (gasp) CHOICES! And we can't have that!!! Anyhoo if big soulless radio nationwide corporations could crush podcasting, they will try, no question.

However if podcasting can make it, the beautiful upside is it gives consumers choices, ideas, different things to listen to. Now if only we could get more MUSIC in podcasting (but that's the problem with the soulless, clueless, UBER evil RIAA/greedy record labels) and a discussion that would make this post three times as long so I'll avoid it.

Here's to the future of podcasting, may it be a bright one.

macFanDave
Nov 16, 2005, 10:31 AM
It's the fanatical analyses of audiences and their habits that have made TV and radio so homogenized and generic that those media have almost completely lost their capacities to "entertain, inform and inspire(1)"

In fact, it is this whole corporate process has made commercial radio so tedious and unbearable that podcasting has become so popular. Even with low production values and amateurish hosts, podcasts with content that is compelling to even a small audience find a loyal following.

Look, no one thinks Adam Christianson of the MacCast will ever be the NBC Today Show Technology pimp, but when I see that a new MacCast comes on to my iPod, it's the first thing I listen to. He's doing a great job and I'd hate to see some self-appointed "media consultant" tell him he needs to cut the show down to 12 minutes, 13 seconds and play 8-1/2 minutes of commercials for beer and Hummers.

Also, no one expects podcasters to be martyrs indefinitely. They will have to pay their dues early on to build an audience, but eventually they can try to make a buck off it. I hate when people in pursuits ranging from entertainment to sports to art state that "it is just a business." That's a black-and-white fallacy. The fact is that these things are combinations of artistic, creative, athletic AND business aspects. In the current American zeitgeist, the business aspects have become so overly dominant that the end "products" of these pursuits have become ever more mediocre, boring and engendering less loyalty and enthusiasm from the consumers. (This is why I find Mac zealotry so exciting, but that is another post altogether.)

The more podcasting can resist the greed machine, the longer it will remain an exciting and relevant way to consume media.

(1) From a folk song called "My TV" by Roy Zimmerman

shamino
Nov 16, 2005, 12:14 PM
So now you have just about no choices in music variety in your city, or choices for talk radio either. After all, you hate filled nazi windbags like Rush, Bill O'Rielly, Dr. Laura (all kinda sound the same anyways) syndicated to play at about the same time every day in some cities on four or five stations.
Wow. Godwin's Law at the third post, and not even in response to anything.

So much for what had the potential to be an interesting discussion.