PDA

View Full Version : Macbook Air (Haswell) screen tearing on wake

kakesen
Aug 4, 2013, 06:28 AM
Hi lads and lasses,

Purchased a 13" MBA with the i7 CPU, 8GB RAM and 256GB SDD as soon as it went live in the apple store in June 2013. For the past 2 weeks or so I've been noticing that every time the machine wakes from sleep (i.e. when I open it up) the screen tears/is scrambled for about half a second before the wallpaper renders normally.
The login box with my username and password field renders normally, the tearing happens around the login box.

I wish I had a screenshot for you guys but it's all over so quickly it's hard to capture. I guess it's not a big deal, but it's slightly worrying and quite annoying to have this happen to a premium product.

Anyone with a similar problem and/or a solution?

Cheers

EDIT: Was able to capture a shot of the problem. This is from waking it before the 5 minute limit I've set the system to require a password to log in, so the log in box is not in the picture.
PS: Sorry for the god-awful quality of the pic, the glass covering the lens on my Nexus 4 is cracked!

AXs
Aug 4, 2013, 06:41 AM
I know exactly what you mean, because it happened to me for the first couple of days too.

Been fine recently though regarding the screen scrambling all over the place on wake.

maxosx
Aug 4, 2013, 06:43 AM
One of ours at work did that. Apple replaced it.

kakesen
Aug 4, 2013, 06:51 AM
Right. I live in Norway and purchased this on holiday in the states. Macbooks are covered by international warranty right? Guess I'll contact customer service tomorrow and get them to have a look.

Thanks guys

DisplacedMic
Aug 4, 2013, 07:05 AM
Right. I live in Norway and purchased this on holiday in the states. Macbooks are covered by international warranty right? Guess I'll contact customer service tomorrow and get them to have a look.

Thanks guys

whoops - that's the risk you take avoiding the VAT :(
but yes, hop on your spark and take it to your local apple store and they should be able to help you! ;):p
alternatively you could contact Apple directly and get an RMA - hopefully you won't have to post t back to america.

good luck!

AXs
Aug 4, 2013, 07:14 AM
is it that big of a deal? Yes, it happened to my laptop a couple of times.

But just for a second after waking from sleep. Like not even really a second.

And that was when I had the settings at default which was to request for password everytime after sleep. Since I gave it a 5 minute buffer before requesting log-in again, it has never happened.

I didn't think it was a big deal at all... Is it something I should worry about?