PDA

View Full Version : USB Hard Drive

jbrown
Nov 16, 2005, 01:52 AM
Hi,

I have a two 20GB Travelstar hard drives ( lapbook drive size ), in external USB 1.1 housings.

What I am looking to do is copy all my files of my 1.25 Poowerbook, reformat / partition my PB hard drive, and then re-install the files I need. I want to keep my system as it is. My plan is:

Carbon Copy the system onto the 20GB disk - then copy all files. Once done - re- CarbonCopy the system back onto my Powerbook, and then copy over the files I want.

Other than taking a long time - are there any problems with an external USB 1.1 drive setup?? Can I boot from it? Any suggestions?

cheers

California
Nov 16, 2005, 02:06 AM
Hi,

I have a two 20GB Travelstar hard drives ( lapbook drive size ), in external USB 1.1 housings.

What I am looking to do is copy all my files of my 1.25 Poowerbook, reformat / partition my PB hard drive, and then re-install the files I need. I want to keep my system as it is. My plan is:

Carbon Copy the system onto the 20GB disk - then copy all files. Once done - re- CarbonCopy the system back onto my Powerbook, and then copy over the files I want.

Other than taking a long time - are there any problems with an external USB 1.1 drive setup?? Can I boot from it? Any suggestions?

cheers I don't think you can boot from it. At least you can't on a new ibook or a 1ghz TI Powerbook. You need a firewire enclosure for your laptop drives in order to boot externally.

mad jew
Nov 16, 2005, 05:32 AM
California's right as usual. You can only boot from Firewire. :(

Booting from USB 1.1 would be unbearable anyway.