PDA

View Full Version : Buying Help - Is It powerful enough?

zach210
Aug 4, 2013, 10:59 AM
Hi, I'm starting college in september, and because of the subjects i'm taking i've decided to upgrade from my 2007 macbook, to a new macbook air/pro/retina. I'm mainly looking at the new 13inch macbook air, as its light, powerful and portable, so i would be able to take it with me and do work at college.
What i'm wondering though is will the mba be able to handle some of the programs that i will be using and what are the best configurations to use? (I'm trying to keep the price as cheap as possible).
Some of the programs i will be using are Sibelius 7, Cubase, garageband, and maybe even logic pro, i may also play the sims in my spare time :).

Some definite configurations I'm looking at is the 512GB of storage, and as large storage is essential for me because of my large music collection. Configuration wise, I'm wondering whether it would be better to go i7 or i5, i think I will probably upgrade to 8GB of Ram as i'm sure that will immensely help its performance.

So thanks for reading, I hoped I made sense :)

blaisegg
Aug 4, 2013, 12:21 PM
I'm not sure about the processor or RAM, but I wouldn't pay for the upgraded SSD for all your music. I have a lot of music too and I like having an external hard drive. You should consider it. They are no bigger than an iPhone. This one matches the macbook aluminum perfect; it's really nice.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BOHNYU6/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

ZBoater
Aug 4, 2013, 01:02 PM
To answer your question, yes, it is powerful enough.

Buy as much computer as you can afford. No one ever complained about having too much RAM or storage or processor. They only complain about their lighter wallets.

zach210
Aug 5, 2013, 04:50 PM
does the processor make much difference? and is it worth the 122 price to upgrade it?

ZBoater
Aug 5, 2013, 06:32 PM
does the processor make much difference? and is it worth the 122 price to upgrade it?

I think it is, but only you can decide if it is worth 122 to YOU. The processor makes about 20-25% difference in processor heavy tasks. You should read the Anadtech comparison review (http://www.anandtech.com/show/7113/2013-macbook-air-core-i5-4250u-vs-core-i7-4650u).