PDA

View Full Version : new apple tv setup

vinnykaka
Aug 4, 2013, 11:57 AM
Hi,
I am new to the mac world and have bought a macbook pro from my friend and now bought a time capsule for backup and the apple tv 3
i would like to stream movies from the time capsule to apple tv then onto my tv.
I have noticed that the apple 2 is jailbroken and you can watch more movies so i am considering returning the apple 3 and buying an apple 2 JB

can anyone help as i am a newbie

Thanks in

vinny

mic j
Aug 4, 2013, 01:50 PM
Hi,
I am new to the mac world and have bought a macbook pro from my friend and now bought a time capsule for backup and the apple tv 3
i would like to stream movies from the time capsule to apple tv then onto my tv.
I have noticed that the apple 2 is jailbroken and you can watch more movies so i am considering returning the apple 3 and buying an apple 2 JB

can anyone help as i am a newbie

Thanks in

vinny

Have you looked at prices for aTV2's lately?

priitv8
Aug 5, 2013, 06:32 AM
Actually, the non-jailbroken aTV 3 can also show you a hell lot of movies! And not just from iTunes Store!
The only thing aTV doesn't do natively, is play back movies directly from a network share (such as TC). For that you'd actually need a computer with iTunes or JB-d aTV 2 that has XBMC or similar installed.

institute
Aug 5, 2013, 07:39 AM
Or an ATV 3 setup to work with Plexconnect and Plex Media Server running on your computer. Here is the link for Plexconnect:

https://github.com/iBaa/PlexConnect

priitv8
Aug 5, 2013, 04:57 PM
Or an ATV 3 setup to work with Plexconnect and Plex Media Server running on your computer.Once you keep a computer powered up as a media server, what's the advantage? I'd love the aTV to stream directly from NAS-s, without need to run an intermediary computer. Apple's TimeCapsule at least could work as HomeSharing server. Probably no chance for others due to iTunes Store authentication required.

institute
Aug 5, 2013, 08:56 PM
If the desire is to have access to movies on your TV via an ATV then I can see the benefits. My computer is always running anyway so having Plex serving non-itunes compatible media from my external hard drives and from online streaming sites like Icefilms or the NFL network and Gamepass is a great bonus. iTunes sharing requires your computer to be on as well, after all.

priitv8
Aug 6, 2013, 08:24 AM
iTunes sharing requires your computer to be on as well, after all.Sure. I'm still dreaming of a NAS that could stream directly to aTV, without the computer inbetween.