PDA

View Full Version : My long road to Mac (in a nutshell)

UnixMac
Dec 23, 2002, 11:55 PM
I started computing with a Texas Instruments Ti994A ($500+/-) back in 1980 and began to use Basic to program "basic" stuff at the age of 11 years....

My parents were very impressed with my aptitude for computers so they got me the latest and greatest Apple II, then a IIe which the later served me well until 1983 when Big Blue came out with the very programable and powerful IBM PC! The IBM PC was a powerful machine for it's time, and the price while a lot (some $4000 for a full system) was fair when you compared it with other computers back in 1982/3. I used this PC for 3 or so years and really got good with Microsoft Basic and Microsoft DOS... I was a Wintel Man, as far back as 1983. Gone was the Apple with all of its limitations and crappy OS.

Well over time, I got a 386 20mhz, then 486DX 66mhz, then Pentium II 400, and finally a PIII 550mhz..... I ran DOS 3.1, Windows 3.1, Windows 95, Windows 98, and lastly Windows 98ME.... well, enough is enough! I found myself spending more and more time trouble shooting my machines and getting software and hardware working, and less and less time actually using it for games, productivity and all around fun!

I really had it with windows 98 becasue by that time, the intelect crunch had hit the high tech world and when you called in for tech support, instead of getting some guy who knew more about the OS than you did, telling you how to get things running, you started to get people sitting in Ireland reading from manuals written for novice users, and their answer to every ill was "software restore".... which basically wiped out my entire system.... well, about 3 software restores later, I came accross a press release that Apple was gonna use Unix for their next OS... Having taken quite a few classes in Computer Science, I knew that this was gonna be a good thing... so I looked into Apple (for the first time in 18 years). I also learned that they were gonna launch a couple of "duel" processor machines very soon and that was it... I was gonna try this... I mean, how can you go wrong... Unix and two RISC processors??? Sun was charging $15000 plus for such a system.

I ordered my Dual 500, and pre-ordered OS X beta, and I've never looked back!

Once you go Mac.... you'll never look back!

Glad to be here.

:)

mcrain
Dec 27, 2002, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by UnixMac
I started computing with a Texas Instruments Ti994A ($500+/-) back in 1980 and began to use Basic to program "basic" stuff at the age of 11 years....

Well over time, I got a 386 20mhz, then 486DX 66mhz, then Pentium II 400, and finally a PIII 550mhz..... I ran DOS 3.1, Windows 3.1, Windows 95, Windows 98, and lastly Windows 98ME.... well, enough is enough! I found myself spending more and more time trouble shooting my machines and getting software and hardware working, and less and less time actually using it for games, productivity and all around fun!

Once you go Mac.... you'll never look back!

Glad to be here.

Good lord, that sounds like my story (I had the ][, the ][e, but then went to the IBM PC. I had a 286 (I think) a 386 at 20mhz, a 486 at 66mhz, then I jumped to a Pentium IIMMX at 200massive Mhz, and finally a PIII 450mhz..... I have used DOS 3.1, Windows 3.1, Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows 2000 and finally Windows XP....)

UnixMac
Dec 27, 2002, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by mcrain

Good lord, that sounds like my story (I had the ][, the ][e, but then went to the IBM PC. I had a 286 (I think) a 386 at 20mhz, a 486 at 66mhz, then I jumped to a Pentium IIMMX at 200massive Mhz, and finally a PIII 450mhz..... I have used DOS 3.1, Windows 3.1, Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows 2000 and finally Windows XP....)

yeah, except you got as far as XP and 2000, I lost it with 98... maybe I should have stuck it out? Naaa...

GeneR
Jan 8, 2003, 08:14 PM
I have been rather sheltered. I've been using Macs all my life with limited exposure to PCs.

My dad got us the Apple IIplus when I was in third or fourth grade. And I remember spending time playing Tailgunner, lunar lander, and brickout. Tried a little basic programming, but it never stuck. We used it for years... that is, until the first Mac came out in '84.

We were amazed! What were these strange, strange things called icons? Fonts? Huh? What's a Font? Is it like a fountain or something? 128MB? Is that a good thing?

My sister ended up getting the 512MB soon afterwards when she went to college and her school had those educational prices.

In college I always hung around the Mac labs whenever any wordprocessing was necessary.

For a brief moment in my life (those were the dark years), I actually owned a Wintel 486 laptop. Thought I was being "realistic". Hated it. Hated it. Hated it. Those were in the starter days of AOL.
(I sold it to my brother for a few hundred bucks. Now it sits idle at my parents' house.)

Later on, I got my first G3. 1400c Laptop. Wow! I was in heaven! Got so much work out of it that when it was time to move forward, the "A" button on the keyboard was completely worn out.

Then came the G3 Blue and White. And a clam shaped G3 iBook.

I use Macs whenever possible. I've had a few job assignments that have forced me to learn windows, but I am glad that my exposure to PCs has been limited.

Nipsy
Jan 8, 2003, 08:25 PM
I don't usually correct spelling, but since it is in your sig, and will be repeated everytime you post, you may want to change it to "Dual 500".

Duel it that thing that two angry gents do with pistols at 20 paces.

UnixMac
Jan 8, 2003, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by Nipsy
I don't usually correct spelling, but since it is in your sig, and will be repeated everytime you post, you may want to change it to "Dual 500".

Duel it that thing that two angry gents do with pistols at 20 paces.

Yes. You are correct.. I had the same issue come up at MacNN.. I fixed it on both. Spelling has always been my weak spot, or is that week spot?