PDA

View Full Version : Where is the Best place to get a 2nd Gen Apple TV

JohnnyDJunior
Aug 4, 2013, 11:19 PM
i have been looking on both eBay and Amazon used section be haven't gotten on yet.

Was bidding on one but lost to someone that biddered higher than me in 5secs to win that bid.

YEAH I WAS PUMPED... My heart was beating oh **** you are about to win it...then it was taken from me.

Ohk with my story but is there anywhere i can find a 2nd Gen ATV

dextr3k
Aug 5, 2013, 12:28 AM
Have you tried your local craigslist?

But I think eBay is your best bet, there are no retailers still selling them new, so used is your only route.

spacepower7
Aug 5, 2013, 12:35 AM
How much did the AppleTV 2 end up selling for?

I know a few people I'll see this week that have no interest in jail breaking and would happily trade their ATV2 for a new ATV3 and call it even.

What firmware is needed?

JohnnyDJunior
Aug 5, 2013, 08:57 AM
How much did the AppleTV 2 end up selling for?

I know a few people I'll see this week that have no interest in jail breaking and would happily trade their ATV2 for a new ATV3 and call it even.

What firmware is needed?

Version 5.2.1 or below i almost got it for $153 then this guy bidded $3 more damn him

that version is good for an untethered jailbreak

FreakinEurekan
Aug 5, 2013, 10:55 AM
Version 5.2.1 or below i almost got it for $153 then this guy bidded $3 more damn him

that version is good for an untethered jailbreak

I have never lost an eBay auction other than by having someone else pay more than I was willing to pay. Winning on eBay is simple.

1. Decide the absolute maximum amount you are willing to pay. Is it $153, and if it goes for $154 then you are OK losing because that's over your max? I usually pick a slightly oddball number, let's say $177.77. But it has to be the absolute maximum you are willing to spend - so if someone else wins for $1 more, you are OK with that because you wouldn't have spent any more than your bid.

2. Bid once and only once, for your maximum price that you've chosen, and do so ONLY during the last 10 seconds of the auction. You can use a service for this (google "ebay sniper service") or just do it yourself. This is critical - you don't want to bid any earlier and give someone a chance to up their bid.

The person who won that auction away from you knows this technique, that's why he won.

ctyrider
Aug 5, 2013, 01:26 PM
Jailbroken ATV2s go for $250+ on eBay. I just sold two of mine for $280 each, which covered the original cost, the cost of new ATV3 replacements, and some cash left to spare. :)

Michael CM1
Aug 6, 2013, 03:38 AM
Are they really THAT desirable? I've got my dad's ATV2 that I just haven't put up on eBay yet. I haven't sold squat on eBay before. I had a friend at work tell me they were worth more than sale price because of the jailbreakabillity, hence why I'm doing that.

Irishman
Aug 6, 2013, 07:46 AM
Jailbroken ATV2s go for $250+ on eBay. I just sold two of mine for $280 each, which covered the original cost, the cost of new ATV3 replacements, and some cash left to spare. :)

^ This. I have two TVs in the house that DON'T have ATVs. Great strategy, guy!

FreakinEurekan
Aug 6, 2013, 12:55 PM
Are they really THAT desirable? I've got my dad's ATV2 that I just haven't put up on eBay yet. I haven't sold squat on eBay before. I had a friend at work tell me they were worth more than sale price because of the jailbreakabillity, hence why I'm doing that.

Check out eBay auctions for people buying ATV2s. I "bought" a $0.01 auction on eBay to sell my two Apple TV 2s to a guy in exchange for a new Apple TV 3 plus $75 paypal for each (so I paid him $0.01, he paid me $150 and sent me two ATV3's).

Yes I could have gotten $250 each but (a) I didn't have to deal with jailbreaking them, and (b) I don't have to worry about chargebacks or bad feedback if someone buys a JB ATV2 without knowing what it is or how it works.

JohnnyDJunior
Aug 6, 2013, 03:29 PM

You would understand now why i got mad, because most times they go for $170+ and that price excludes Shipping.

Im gonna keep trying in hopes of getting it $150 of less if possible.

I dont understand how they haven't jailbroken the 3rd one yet,
That would reduce that price significantly

ctyrider
Aug 6, 2013, 04:32 PM

You won't be able to, at least not on eBay. The current market price of ATV2 is significantly higher than $150.

I dont understand how they haven't jailbroken the 3rd one yet, That would reduce that price significantly

Because ATV3 is based on a different/custom version of A5 chipset, which so far has proven impossible to jailbreak.

Apple fanboy
Aug 6, 2013, 04:41 PM
Didn't realise they were worth that much. Maybe I should sell mine and upgrade. I'm not really into jailbraking.

JohnnyDJunior
Aug 7, 2013, 10:08 PM
Just won a Bid for an Apple TV 2 version 5.2.1 for $167.50 with $9.99 Shipping.

I had the item on my phone and computer and noticed the phone was 5secs after so had my bid of 180 and waiting for 5sec and placed it and won...

Paid already. i hope they ship it asap.

dextr3k
Aug 7, 2013, 11:01 PM
Congrats, would be a great system.

I wish they can jailbreak ATV3.

ctyrider
Aug 10, 2013, 03:07 PM
Just won a Bid for an Apple TV 2 version 5.2.1 for $167.50 with $9.99 Shipping.

I had the item on my phone and computer and noticed the phone was 5secs after so had my bid of 180 and waiting for 5sec and placed it and won...

Paid already. i hope they ship it asap.

Has this Apple TV been jailbroken already? If not - chances are you won't be able to jailbreak it yourself, as at this point Apple no longer signs 5.2.1. This also explains why non-jailbroken ATV2s sell for lower price.

JohnnyDJunior
Aug 13, 2013, 05:37 AM
Has this Apple TV been jailbroken already? If not - chances are you won't be able to jailbreak it yourself, as at this point Apple no longer signs 5.2.1. This also explains why non-jailbroken ATV2s sell for lower price.

I was able to Jailbreak it to 5.3 but after using it for less than a day its a waste of money. Selling it

ctyrider
Aug 13, 2013, 12:41 PM
I was able to Jailbreak it to 5.3 but after using it for less than a day its a waste of money. Selling it

There is no untethered jailbreak available for 5.3, so i don't understand how you were able to jailbreak. Unless you applied tethered jailbreak, which means you can never unplug / move your ATV without going through the whole process again.

Also curious - what were you expecting from a jailbreak, which you didn't get?

JohnnyDJunior
Aug 13, 2013, 02:54 PM
There is no untethered jailbreak available for 5.3, so i don't understand how you were able to jailbreak. Unless you applied tethered jailbreak, which means you can never unplug / move your ATV without going through the whole process again.

Also curious - what were you expecting from a jailbreak, which you didn't get?

Not sure what i was looking for but after getting it and jailbroken it and used it most of the features on it i already do it but just do it in a different way.

Its not really a loss because i can sell it on ebay or craigslist and get more than i sold it for so i least i won't lose at the end of the day.

Posted it on ebay and craigslist so will be waiting on some to buy it

yinz
Aug 15, 2013, 03:40 AM

You are missing out on so much. Jail broken Apple TV has SO much potential. The plug ins and third party apps make it so much more than a $99 iTunes viewer and YouTube app.

It's basically my primary media consumer now that I can watch videos of any format including MKV. That means anime, home made movie etc without converting to mp4. You can also get useful weather plug ins, skins, among other things. Basically, you don't have to go through iTunes, which is a benefit for some people.

Also AirPlay mirroring still makes it awesome.

JohnnyDJunior
Aug 16, 2013, 06:37 AM
You are missing out on so much. Jail broken Apple TV has SO much potential. The plug ins and third party apps make it so much more than a $99 iTunes viewer and YouTube app.

It's basically my primary media consumer now that I can watch videos of any format including MKV. That means anime, home made movie etc without converting to mp4. You can also get useful weather plug ins, skins, among other things. Basically, you don't have to go through iTunes, which is a benefit for some people.

Also AirPlay mirroring still makes it awesome.

True i get you but i have a Google TV and i also have a MediaLink which i can stream files from my Computer to my TV.

For Airplay sure thats really great but i have a HDMI to Mini DVI connector and with that i have a Wireless Keyboard so its kind of Airplay so with that the Apple TV makes it less useful.

With watching movies online all i can say is that while watching 2 movies, 1 kept pausing and annoyed me so i just downloaded it on my laptop, for the other movie my Apple TV crashed, idk why so i ended up doing the same of downloading and watching it on my laptop.

Sure the Apple TV can do a lot but i think with a laptop and some few additions like a Wireless Keyboard for controlling it on the TV, after that the ATV is useless.

Now I'm watching to watch a LIVE UFC event on it come Saturday. will see how the streaming goes

yinz
Aug 16, 2013, 10:09 AM
True i get you but i have a Google TV and i also have a MediaLink which i can stream files from my Computer to my TV.

For Airplay sure thats really great but i have a HDMI to Mini DVI connector and with that i have a Wireless Keyboard so its kind of Airplay so with that the Apple TV makes it less useful.

With watching movies online all i can say is that while watching 2 movies, 1 kept pausing and annoyed me so i just downloaded it on my laptop, for the other movie my Apple TV crashed, idk why so i ended up doing the same of downloading and watching it on my laptop.

Sure the Apple TV can do a lot but i think with a laptop and some few additions like a Wireless Keyboard for controlling it on the TV, after that the ATV is useless.

Now I'm watching to watch a LIVE UFC event on it come Saturday. will see how the streaming goes

Well, if you already have a preexisting set up, then the ATV is obviously redundant. I mean, if you have a cell phone, I'm sure the usefulness of the second cell phone will depreciate, but for people who don't have your set up, the Jail Broken ATV is a great all in one option. I access my files off of my external hard drive with my jail broken ATV... because I can.

Some people also don't like the power drain of a computer that's always on. ATV is a great alternative.

Your set up seems to work for you, so it makes sense why the ATV isn't that impressive for you.

JohnnyDJunior
Aug 27, 2013, 04:35 PM
You would understand now why i got mad, because most times they go for $170+ and that price excludes Shipping.

I dont understand how they haven't jailbroken the 3rd one yet,
That would reduce that price significantly

The 3rd Gen Apple TV has less memory for the jailbreak files thus making it a lot more difficult to jailbreak....

ctyrider
Aug 27, 2013, 05:06 PM
The 3rd Gen Apple TV has less memory for the jailbreak files thus making it a lot more difficult to jailbreak....

No offense, but you're making no sense.

Alveezy
Aug 28, 2013, 09:13 AM

What are you using to stream UFC?

JohnnyDJunior
Aug 28, 2013, 06:33 PM
What are you using to stream UFC?

Well I'm not streaming that just Use a website but can just connect my computer to my TV using the DVI/HDMI cable and its on my TV. Such a money saver

Gjwilly
Aug 29, 2013, 03:09 PM
I've got two.
Someone make me an offer before they go to eBay.
;)

Alveezy
Aug 31, 2013, 12:54 PM
I'm glad that i got my 2nd Gen Apple TV on Amazon for $99 weeks before the 3rd Gen released. They should've put more than 8GB's of RAM or memory because i have to clear my cache every week! that's if i'm constantly watch every time! XBMC on it is possibly the best on-demand tv/movie at no cost! that you can install in it.

In other Subject, Anyone that owns the 2nd Gen have a clue on how to get the VEVO app? also i'm wondering when they'll have that iTunes Festival app coming on the home screen again? really want to watch JT perform! especially after that Vanguard Performance he did at the VMA's.

linds15
Aug 31, 2013, 10:10 PM
out of curiosity, why is it that on this site, as well as most others, its NOT okay to discuss torrents and usenet, but fully acceptable to discuss XBMC and its "benefits"

just curious