PDA

View Full Version : iStat Pro fix for Haswell Macbook Air 2013

gordon1hd1
Aug 5, 2013, 01:14 AM
Hi guys, after upgrading from my Macbook Air 13 2012 to a new Haswell 13 2013 MBA, I noticed that CPU temperature no longer show on the iStat Pro widget.

Since I use the widget to monitor my computer CPU temperature a lot, as well as keep a tap on other stats of my system, i decided to spend some time trying to fix the issue.

After digging around for a bit, i finally found the problem and fixed it. Hope this helps you guys also.

DISCLAIMER:
1. I only tested this on my personal MBA 2013 13 inch, so I don't know if it will work for other people's MBA 2013.
2. I take no responsibility for this software. If it breaks your computer, break up with your girl friend, or decided to destroy all human life on earth, I am not responsible. Use it at your own risk.
3. Since I didn't create the software originally, I don't know if I am stepping on the original author's copyright. If so please let me know, and I will take it down promptly
4. I am not doing this for money, since the original iStat Pro is free, I am also making my work free of charge. You are NOT allow to take my work and resell it.

http://db.tt/19r9Uyss

Download via Dropbox (http://db.tt/tnKOCj1V)

hypervish89
Aug 5, 2013, 02:58 PM
Anyone else try and install this?

Verix
Aug 5, 2013, 03:00 PM
Sweet.

SchodMC
Aug 5, 2013, 03:15 PM
Thank you very much. I installed it and it seems to work fine. Now I have the little helper back again on my dashboard screen. ;-)

cu
SchodMC

johnjey
Aug 5, 2013, 05:53 PM
I installed it and not sure if it shows something extra

B...
Aug 5, 2013, 07:00 PM
Thanks a lot.

AXs
Aug 6, 2013, 01:52 AM
Wait. Trojan Detected!!!

HAH... no just messing. Windows Joke. :p
<3:apple:

Edit: My battery charge is only showing 97% :( :( :(
Any ideas why not 100% like OP?

It's just 1 week old today

larry918
Aug 6, 2013, 04:17 AM
Wait. Trojan Detected!!!

Should be fine. I remember reading somewhere that apps that monitor your battery (iStat and Coconutbattery) could have a 5% difference with what Apple is saying. It's perfectly normal.

AXs
Aug 6, 2013, 05:27 AM
Oh good that you told me. I've only burnt 2 villages on my panic rampage :p

Ahhhh. Okay, fine it is :)

cramazing
Aug 6, 2013, 08:07 AM
cool, but whats the difference between this one and the one i can download online??

robvas
Aug 6, 2013, 08:11 AM
Why not just post the fix or at least explain what you did? Who wants to install a random download from the internet?

SchodMC
Aug 6, 2013, 08:48 AM
Wait. Trojan Detected!!!

Should be fine. I remember reading somewhere that apps that monitor your battery (iStat and Coconutbattery) could have a 5% difference with what Apple is saying. It's perfectly normal.

I newer have seen any difference between iStat pro (or iStat menu) and the number Apple shows in their menu.

I always realize that the battery percentage could be less than 100%. I'm not sure why, but I think it has to to with the technics behind the whole battery stuff. If I'm right, the battery will be loaded, then unloaded a little bit, then loaded again and so on while the system will be plugged. Doing this prevents the battery from being overloaded or something like this.

But, on the other side, it could also be realy big sh*** what I told you right now (because it could be that I mixed up some informations). So don't blame me if your friends laugh because you told them what I told you. :p

Is anyone here with more knowledge about Apples battery technics?

cu
SchodMC

knuro
Aug 6, 2013, 07:23 PM
I newer have seen any difference between iStat pro (or iStat menu) and the number Apple shows in their menu.

I always realize that the battery percentage could be less than 100%. I'm not sure why, but I think it has to to with the technics behind the whole battery stuff. If I'm right, the battery will be loaded, then unloaded a little bit, then loaded again and so on while the system will be plugged. Doing this prevents the battery from being overloaded or something like this.

But, on the other side, it could also be realy big sh*** what I told you right now (because it could be that I mixed up some informations). So don't blame me if your friends laugh because you told them what I told you. :p

Is anyone here with more knowledge about Apples battery technics?

cu
SchodMC

July 2011 Mac Air 13" 4GB RAM 128GB SSD. I use my computer mostly connected to Thunderbolt Display with power cord attached and over time, the value of battery charge drops slowly from 100%: 98%, 97% etc etc. When it gets to 96%, I disconnect the power cord from Apple T Display and allow the computer battery to run down (with display usage) to about 40% or lower. I then reattach the power cable (from the display) and the battery charges to full 100% and the battery charge-drop starts all over again. (When on battery power the Apple T Display runs off it's own a/c power.)

gordon1hd1
Aug 6, 2013, 08:24 PM
Why not just post the fix or at least explain what you did? Who wants to install a random download from the internet?

You should always scan any file you download from the internet that is not from a known source. But if you want to do it yourself. It is a little bit technical, so that is why I just give everyone the finished product. But if you want to know how to do it.

1) Go to ~/Library/Widgets/
2) Right click on iStat Pro (must have a downloaded a copy from Apple or other sources), and click on "Show Package Content"
3) Right click on iStatPro.bundle, and click "Show Package Content"
4) Go into MacOS
5) Right click on iStatPro and use "Open With">Other...
6) Find your favor unicode compatible text editor (I used Aquamacs), and open the file
7) Search for the String "TCAH" and replace it with "TC0P"
8) Save and close the file
9) Close Finder
10) Remove and re-insert the iStat Pro widget.
11) You should now see the CPU temperature in the Temps section.

-Gordon

cookies!
Aug 6, 2013, 08:27 PM
thanks so much for this!

robvas
Aug 6, 2013, 09:15 PM
You should always scan any file you download from the internet that is not from a known source. But if you want to do it yourself. It is a little bit technical, so that is why I just give everyone the finished product. But if you want to know how to do it.

1) Go to ~/Library/Widgets/
2) Right click on iStat Pro (must have a downloaded a copy from Apple or other sources), and click on "Show Package Content"
3) Right click on iStatPro.bundle, and click "Show Package Content"
4) Go into MacOS
5) Right click on iStatPro and use "Open With">Other...
6) Find your favor unicode compatible text editor (I used Aquamacs), and open the file
7) Search for the String "TCAH" and replace it with "TC0P"
8) Save and close the file
9) Close Finder
10) Remove and re-insert the iStat Pro widget.
11) You should now see the CPU temperature in the Temps section.

-Gordon
What is there to scan? If its not a known Trojan it won't set off any alarms

gordon1hd1
Aug 6, 2013, 10:24 PM
What is there to scan? If its not a known Trojan it won't set off any alarms

Ok, then follow my instruction and DIY.

AXs
Aug 6, 2013, 11:42 PM
Ignore him gordon. Some people just don't know how to recognize goodwill.

Thanks for taking the time to config and share with us. Really useful. Dont be discouraged, you're Awesome (though not as awesome as me :p)!

This is the exact reason I moved from windows... no more of that everyday spyware BS.

robvas
Aug 7, 2013, 06:17 AM
Ignore him gordon. Some people just don't know how to recognize goodwill.

No, it's just the fact that you shouldn run some random program for various reasons. Now that he says the code just changes some values in executable, you can have a better idea of what to expect.

newdeal
Aug 7, 2013, 07:48 AM
why would you ever need to monitor your cpu temp?

robvas
Aug 7, 2013, 03:09 PM

No reason, the CPU will clock up/down depending on CPU temp. It's just nice to know I guess.

AXs
Aug 7, 2013, 03:49 PM
It's good for understanding...

By the way i don't think the fan is reading correctly. Just like the software I downloaded previously (which ended up not being compatible with the new Air), it sticks to about 1200 at all times.

Is there something wrong? It's about 1200 when temp is 37degsC... and same when it's at 56degs C.

gordon1hd1
Aug 7, 2013, 08:04 PM
It's good for understanding...

By the way i don't think the fan is reading correctly. Just like the software I downloaded previously (which ended up not being compatible with the new Air), it sticks to about 1200 at all times.

Is there something wrong? It's about 1200 when temp is 37degsC... and same when it's at 56degs C.

Try doing something cpu intensive that pushes (games, movie editing...) the cpu. When you hear the fan check the fan speed then. I notices that my fan doesn't spend up until after CPU reach 60c+

Failing that, try remove and re-add the widget on dashboard.

dannyp1996
Sep 20, 2013, 07:19 AM
Thanks very much for this! Excellent work!

Jen78
Dec 19, 2013, 04:44 AM
Thanks, it works for me on a 2013 11" MBA.

Just another positive vote :):

seveej
Dec 19, 2013, 04:20 PM
Brilliant. Thanks (13" 2013)

Pinksteady
Jan 4, 2014, 07:17 PM
Thanks, worked for me

Mrbobb
Jan 5, 2014, 12:55 AM

The same way you monitor the temp of you car's engine.

In a perfect world, when everything works, the cooling system will put the cpu temp in check automatically, but this is not a perfect world, cooling systems do fail. mechanical fans will fail.