PDA

View Full Version : What if my new Powerbook 15" have The Lines?

Crusty
Nov 16, 2005, 07:31 AM
To make a long story short, I recently decided to take the plunge and switch from PC to Mac. I decided on a 15" Powerbook for it's mobility figuring I could hook it up to my old monitor and keyboard when used stationary at home.

I ordered it online from the Apple Store with the only option being the 100Gb 7200RPM harddrive and it shipped on the 12 november. Being in europe I suppose I'll have to wait a few weeks for it to arrive. In the meantime I read up on Macs since I'm almost completely new to them personally only to discover a forum thread on this very board where people report they're having problems with the new high resolution screen on the 15".

What should I do?

Should I wait and hope for the best (HAHAHAHAHAHAHA)?
Should I call Apple and try to cancel the order?

If I cancel, should I try to get reimbursed and forget this ever happened?
Or should I try to arrange a swap to another model?

I'm not in any real hurry, but I don't want to have to return it and wait for a replacement unit which also might have problems. If the replacement takes as much time as this one it could take months before this is sorted out (or I give up).

I wouldn't want to switch to another model either. The 17" is too big and the 12" has a clearly inferior screen (on paper) as well as not being as feature rich as the 15"/17".

Help me please, what should I do?

Deepdale
Nov 16, 2005, 07:40 AM
While there is a lengthy thread on the issue of the lines on the screens of the new 15" PB's, not every purchaser has experienced that problem. In fact, some posters have generously praised their screens. Before getting ahead of a problem that may not affect you, wait until it arrives and then check it carefully.

Melkor
Nov 16, 2005, 07:40 AM
I'm waiting and hoping for the best. If it's less than perfect, ill just return it and get my money back :)

Crusty
Nov 16, 2005, 07:45 AM
Yeah, I know I shouldn't get upset about something that might not occur.

This wouldn't be such a big deal to me if there was a way to fix the problem and the turnaround time on the fix wasn't so long but right now that's not the case.

Deepdale
Nov 16, 2005, 07:52 AM
This wouldn't be such a big deal to me if there was a way to fix the problem and the turnaround time on the fix wasn't so long but right now that's not the case.

The time frame for resolving issues like this can be a real problem, but your status as a satisfied customer should be the end goal of a company like Apple. I hope you catch a good break when your computer arrives.

QCassidy352
Nov 16, 2005, 09:36 AM
I recently ordered a 15" without doing my research (I didn't know about the line issue!! :eek: ) and now I'm absolutely kicking myself because as of this morning it's shipping and I can't cancel!! :mad:

This problem seems to be so wide-spread that the odds of getting a perfect screen are slim-to-none... :(

gavinsan
Nov 16, 2005, 02:57 PM
i'm a little worried too... i'm gonna buy in a fnac store (i'm waiting for the new models... they only have the old rev ones... "i love portugal" cof) and i don't know if they return the powerbook if it has the lines or deadpixel etc.... :confused:

we don't have *apple stores here :( (well, just one, ant its a 5 to 6 hour travel... so...)

i'm desperate

* (oops)

Crusty
Nov 16, 2005, 03:10 PM
There's no Apple Store near where I live either.

I've decided not to cancel my order. I'll just have to decide when the day comes what to do if the screen has the artifacts.

I'm going to have to decide what to do with the 2Gb of memory I recieved today for the 15". I won't be able to return it if this process takes too long and it won't fit the 12" which would be my last resort. :(

tobio
Nov 16, 2005, 04:44 PM
Problems like this only appear widespread, as people with problem displays shout louder than people with perfect ones. Wait until yours arrive, the chances are that your laptops will be from a later batch and be absolutely perfect.

Of course if they aren't perfect on delivery get straight to the store and demand it fixed (if the store is near you) or get on the phone to the customer service number (their hold music is pretty good) and demand it be fixed replaced or refunded.

zooey74
Nov 16, 2005, 05:15 PM
Problems like this only appear widespread, as people with problem displays shout louder than people with perfect ones.

But I think this one appears widespread b/c it is widespread. There has been, to my knowledge, no confirmation or proof of people buying the new revision 15" PBs and not having the lines. But there has been much evidence of displays with the lines. I have an Apple Store right up the road from me and the lines are on both the 15" display models, but not on the 17 or 12s.

I'm in the same boast as the OP, I decided to take the plunge on my first mac but after hearing about all of the problems I'm uncertain of what to do.

Crusty
Nov 17, 2005, 01:54 AM
I'm not too terribly picky and won't be using it for graphics work (not professionally anyway) so the lines might not affect me while I'm developing, surfing and reading email on it.

However, as someone posted in the lines thread, I do expect quality in a professional grade computer costing $2800. Yes it costs that much over here. :eek:

generik
Nov 17, 2005, 03:26 AM
It is really subjective, but in the course of being a MR forumer, I also discovered...

a corner of my screen is darker
when I watch dvds my screen flickers occasionally for no reason
and yes, if I am being anal about it and really look closely I can see the lines.

Personally I don't care now, I will probably just take the loss and sell it on eBay in a few weeks in time for MWSF. You might have different needs and should reassess your purchase accordingly.

generik
Nov 17, 2005, 03:27 AM
I'm not too terribly picky and won't be using it for graphics work (not professionally anyway) so the lines might not affect me while I'm developing, surfing and reading email on it.

However, as someone posted in the lines thread, I do expect quality in a professional grade computer costing $2800. Yes it costs that much over here. :eek:

Australian dollars?

Crusty
Nov 17, 2005, 03:45 AM
Australian dollars?

No, that's in US dollars. Just shy of €2400 for you europeans.

To add insult to injury we're also taxed the most in all the world(Gooo Sweden!). Income is taxed somewhere between 30-50% and sales are taxed 25%.

But I'm not bitter. Really.

generik
Nov 17, 2005, 03:51 AM
25% sales tax?!

Wow, that's insane!@!!@! I rather fly to US and do my shopping there!

gammamonk
Nov 17, 2005, 06:37 AM
No, that's in US dollars. Just shy of 2400 for you europeans.

To add insult to injury we're also taxed the most in all the world(Gooo Sweden!). Income is taxed somewhere between 30-50% and sales are taxed 25%.

Yeah, but you have free University.

Will Cheyney
Nov 17, 2005, 09:01 AM
If it's anything less than perfect, return it. Apple will send out a new one and contact you within 5 days of receipt to arrange collection of the old one.
- I liked having two G5's in my room :(

mikeSkull
Nov 17, 2005, 09:03 AM
I've just had my powerbok colllected today (it had the lines).
I had to send the old one back before they will ship the new one.

So now I wait to see if the new one 'has lines' too

Will Cheyney
Nov 17, 2005, 09:10 AM
See, I insisted that I kept hold of the other machine whilst I waited for delivery of the new one. I told them that I needed a computer to run my business!

Temujin
Nov 17, 2005, 01:17 PM
Hei och velkommen hit

I have the 15" PB. Personally I can't see the lines, so I can't tell you if mine is affected by this issue or not. It seems perfect to me though. I've tried going really close to the screen, and then yes I can see lines, as I can on every other LCD I look at.

So don't worry to much, wait and see. Might be perfect like mine :)

Temujin
Nov 17, 2005, 01:22 PM
No, that's in US dollars. Just shy of €2400 for you europeans.

Actually Denmark have higher taxes. The lowest is 43%:mad: and highest about 65%:mad: . We also have a sales tax at 25%.

mizzi
Nov 17, 2005, 03:32 PM
i'm in the exact same boat...ordered, already shipped, and hoping for the best.

sigh...

generik
Nov 17, 2005, 03:35 PM
Good luck guys..

On the upside even if it bothers you, MacIntels will probably be a few months away now, so you can always sell the junker and get the real gold :D

mizzi
Nov 17, 2005, 03:39 PM
haha thanks.

gavinsan
Nov 17, 2005, 04:30 PM
i just hope the people that work in the store where i will buy my powerbook (FNAC) "can see" the lines (in case it has it)... i'm gonna use it a lot for design, the minor difference in color affects my work...

:(

QCassidy352
Nov 17, 2005, 04:46 PM
Good luck guys..

On the upside even if it bothers you, MacIntels will probably be a few months away now, so you can always sell the junker and get the real gold :D

yeah right, cause I'm sure rev. A mactels will be defect free...

mjstew33
Nov 17, 2005, 05:03 PM
If you do get a bad screen, they won't reimburse you (I think) because you ordered a BTO (build to order) machine. Good luck man :)

generik
Nov 17, 2005, 05:11 PM
i just hope the people that work in the store where i will buy my powerbook (FNAC) "can see" the lines (in case it has it)... i'm gonna use it a lot for design, the minor difference in color affects my work...

:(

It doesn't matter, they will tell you it is within specs.

YunusEmre
Nov 18, 2005, 01:47 AM
If you do get a bad screen, they won't reimburse you (I think) because you ordered a BTO (build to order) machine. Good luck man :)

Less than a week ago I picked a non-bto 15" PB from the store. I have the horizontal lines problem, easy to see with this picture:

http://crankycat.com/pb15_problems.png

Tomorrow I am going to call Apple Care and ask them what I should do.

Edit: by playing with the screen calibration I was able to reduce the visibility of the lines. I used the manual calibration mode, now it is saved as a new color profile and the lines are less visible. I wonder if this is how Apple fixes this problem?

Crusty
Nov 18, 2005, 09:39 AM
If my baby has got the Lines Of Death (you heard it here first!) I'm giving Apple one chance to get me one that doesn't or I'm switching to the 12".

I'm still going to have to decide what to do with the two sticks of memory i ordered for the 15". I won't be able to return them if this takes too long. I wonder how long it takes for my computer to get here? It shipped on the 12th of november from Shanghai destined for Sweden.

MacRumorUser
Nov 18, 2005, 02:46 PM
Just received my Powerbook. Its a week 46 model according to the serial number. Yes I have the horizontal line issue, but I'm in shock at how much of a non issue it is. You have to be so close to the screen to see them that in nearly every , everyday scenario your never going to see them.

I am relieved that the problem or so it is called is such a non event. And all those posters who will kick up a stink now, I am a graphics designer and work primarily in photoshop; illustrator and corel painter IX.

But for me the screen is great and doesnt pose any problem. I guess there may be others who have deeper lines than others, mine are so faint like I say, that you really have to look for them as close to the screen as you can before you see them.

I wont be replacing my powerbook. :D :D :D :D

revisionA
Nov 18, 2005, 03:13 PM
I love my powerbook and if I strain I can see the lines, but even with it in my lap, its never THAT close!

I should try and return my Vaio because its harddrive is active when its supposed to be sleeping.

I should try and return my Razr because every 50th photo is unexplicably distorted on its 0.3 megamixel camera.

I should try and return my Celica because the seat belt twists really easy.

see where this leads...

It doesnt crash, it doesnt burn me... its alrighty!

$

MacRumorUser
Nov 18, 2005, 05:18 PM
I love my powerbook and if I strain I can see the lines, but even with it in my lap, its never THAT close!

I should try and return my Vaio because its harddrive is active when its supposed to be sleeping.

I should try and return my Razr because every 50th photo is unexplicably distorted on its 0.3 megamixel camera.

see where this leads...

$

Couldn't agree more. I think people are exagerating the problem, if it is indeed a problem? Subjectivly to me, it isn't. I'm delighted I sold my 12" which I loved and upgraded. Sat typing with it on my lap, lights down and backlight keyboard looking stunning, I love it.
:) :) :) :)

Chrispy
Nov 18, 2005, 06:06 PM

see where this leads...

$

I disagree with this. It is the screen of the computer that has the problem... and for some people that creates a real issue with eye strain and image quality. Also, Apple advertises this new PowerBooks as having better screens so if you get one with a screen that looks worse than the previous revision then that is a problem. Now if a key was slightly off alignment and someone returned for that... then I could see your argument.

generik
Nov 18, 2005, 07:52 PM
yeah right, cause I'm sure rev. A mactels will be defect free...

Considering Apple will be doing minimal engineering, since even Dell engineers can produce defect free Intel machines, yes, I am confident that Macintels will be defect free.

There is just too big a pool of available engineers to make it totally easy.

Temujin
Nov 19, 2005, 05:46 AM
I disagree with this. It is the screen of the computer that has the problem... and for some people that creates a real issue with eye strain and image quality. Also, Apple advertises this new PowerBooks as having better screens so if you get one with a screen that looks worse than the previous revision then that is a problem. Now if a key was slightly off alignment and someone returned for that... then I could see your argument.

well better screens can mean anything. Better resolution is a better screen. Higher brightness level is a better screen. I don't have a problem with the new screen. Don't notice the lines issue at all.

Crusty
Nov 19, 2005, 10:23 AM
I just got my invoice and the serial number starts with W8546.

pubwvj
Nov 19, 2005, 11:40 AM
I recently ordered a 15" without doing my research (I didn't know about the line issue!! :eek: ) and now I'm absolutely kicking myself because as of this morning it's shipping and I can't cancel!! :mad: This problem seems to be so wide-spread that the odds of getting a perfect screen are slim-to-none... :(

Have I got a solution for you! When your computer arrives do not open the box. Instead just ship it right over to me. I'll check it out and see if it works, if the screen is okay, etc. Then, if it is sub-par you can just order a different machine and I'll keep this one. That way you won't have to ever experience the disappointment at looking at this horrid computer... :)

motherduce
Nov 20, 2005, 09:04 AM
Couldn't agree more. I think people are exagerating the problem, if it is indeed a problem? Subjectivly to me, it isn't. I'm delighted I sold my 12" which I loved and upgraded. Sat typing with it on my lap, lights down and backlight keyboard looking stunning, I love it.
:) :) :) :)

I agree that this issue is overblown to some extent. However, there is still an issue with these screens, and while it's not a major issue for most people, it is for some, and when you pay $1800 for a computer, you shouldn't have to settle for a mediocre screen. Everything you do through the system is viewed on this screen.

Again, this issue may not be huge for most people, but for that much money, I sure as heck better be getting a product that doesn't have any major flaws, like the lines.

Crusty
Nov 22, 2005, 05:59 AM
It should be here any day now! The useless TNT tracking page still shows it leaving China on the 12th but a quick phone call to customer support revealed it being much much closer than that!

Although I'm still nervous about the screen which kinda takes the fun out of recieving a new toy.

muffinman
Nov 22, 2005, 10:36 AM
Although I'm still nervous about the screen which kinda takes the fun out of recieving a new toy.

yeah i really hate that feeling also.

good luck on your powerbook.. keep us posted

Crusty
Nov 30, 2005, 12:22 PM
Well I finally got the Powerbook and sure enough the lines are there. However they're only really obvious when watching the demonstration picture at close distance. I'm not bothered with it while using the laptop normally. I haven't decided wether or not I should return it. It's first five are W8546 and DisplayConfigX shows the monitor at 46.3Hz refresh.

It's such a SEXY BASTARD and I never want to let it go!

What to do, what to do..

Crusty
Dec 1, 2005, 02:23 AM
And now even more rumors about Apple presenting Intel based Powerbooks in january. Maybe I should just return it for a refund and get a chew bone from a pet store to hold me over until then? Aah, the pain, the pain..

sk3pt1c
Dec 1, 2005, 09:02 PM
went to an applestore and saw 3 or 4 15" powerbooks,all had the lines.i know you dont see them at first,but you do in the end.the 17" doesn't have them,i'm not gonna talk about the 12 because it's not worth it. do you guys know if the 17 has had any problems? anything whatsoever? i could scrap the apple care as it doesnt apply in my country and go for the 17 if that means a good screen.
crusty they really are sexy but imagine how sexier they'd be with a proper screen!:)
and as far as the other dude that suggested we exagerate...
imagine if you got a ferrari and the paint started chipping away after a week
would you return it or not?
imagine if you got the new sony ericsson p990 and the display had lines on it
would you return it or not?
imagine if you buy a villa and the walls are ready to fall apart
would you demand for your money back or not?

it's a matter of paying for the best, therefore rightfully demanding the best!

paperinacup
Dec 2, 2005, 10:34 AM
Well I purchased one 3 days ago. I do NOT have lines. Why I don't I have no idea but the screen looks as clear as every other lcd in my house. No lines here! :)

Crusty
Dec 2, 2005, 10:55 AM
I can hardly notice the lines myself. With the cranky cat image on the desktop there are clearly visible lines on the lower orange field and on closer inspection the picture of the boy if viewed at 4".

I'm going to keep mine unless the battery is broken too.

I wouldn't be interested in the 17" because it's way too big for my needs and the 12" is too underpowered.

By the way, does anyone have any tips on how to check if my powerbook has the battery charging problem?