PDA

View Full Version : Does Mavericks change whether you went with 4 or 8GB?

arbogast777
Aug 5, 2013, 10:24 AM
In debating whether or not 4 or 8GB RAM is suffiecient power for your needs, I was wondering if the power saving features in Mavericks would change your opinion of that.

Between Timer Coalescing (I just like saying that), App Nap, and Compressed Memory, don't you think comparing an Air running on Mountain Lion with 4GB and an Air running on Mavericks at 4GB would be apples and oranges?

stagmeister
Aug 5, 2013, 02:44 PM
In debating whether or not 4 or 8GB RAM is suffiecient power for your needs, I was wondering if the power saving features in Mavericks would change your opinion of that.

Nope... Power saving has nothing to do with ram usage. Mavericks' ram compression may be helpful, but in the end 8 > 4. So I went with 8, its the smart choice.

B...
Aug 5, 2013, 02:48 PM
Nope... Power saving has nothing to do with ram usage. Mavericks' ram compression may be helpful, but in the end 8 > 4. So I went with 8, its the smart choice.
Good answer and a smart choice.

kodeman53
Aug 5, 2013, 07:56 PM

The simple answer to your questions is, "No". There's NOTHING in Maverick that would cause anyone who knows how hardware works to change their recommendation regarding memory.

Between Timer Coalescing (I just like saying that), App Nap, and Compressed Memory, don't you think comparing an Air running on Mountain Lion with 4GB and an Air running on Mavericks at 4GB would be apples and oranges?

No offense, but this sentence forces me to ask if you're sober or under the influence of something?

Fifteen20s
Aug 5, 2013, 08:29 PM
I get what he is asking and it is an ok question. Don't run me through the ringer if Im wrong, but here is how I understand it.

8 will always be better then 4. Mavericks will not decrease the benefit of 8gig but will make more efficient use of what it has.

If your running out of memory or pushing a 4gig system, You just need more memory.

If your like me and have an iMac for horsepower and needed a portable OSX system for minor work away from your PC, Mavericks memory usage will help you keep a tad more green.

halledise
Aug 5, 2013, 08:50 PM
I get what he is asking and it is an ok question. Don't run me through the ringer if Im wrong, but here is how I understand it.

8 will always be better then 4. Mavericks will not decrease the benefit of 8gig but will make more efficient use of what it has.

If your running out of memory or pushing a 4gig system, You just need more memory.

If your like me and have an iMac for horsepower and needed a portable OSX system for minor work away from your PC, Mavericks memory usage will help you keep a tad more green.

'640K is all the memory anybody would ever need on a computer' Bill Gates.

8gb is definitely the way to go going forward, though I remember when having 4gb over 2gb was the duck's nuts.
good to have the capacity even if not immediately needed

arbogast777
Aug 5, 2013, 10:42 PM
No offense, but this sentence forces me to ask if you're sober or under the influence of something?

Well, offense taken :(

I don't know a ton about computers, hence me asking the question of those who do.

halledise
Aug 6, 2013, 03:32 AM

I don't know a ton about computers, hence me asking the question of those who do.

don't take offence - take a gate!
[ignore the smart-arses]

seriously, 8gb is always better than 4gb

kodeman53
Aug 6, 2013, 05:39 AM

Sorry. I couldn't even understand what question you were asking in the following sentence.

"Between Timer Coalescing (I just like saying that), App Nap, and Compressed Memory, don't you think comparing an Air running on Mountain Lion with 4GB and an Air running on Mavericks at 4GB would be apples and oranges?"

I also noticed no one else answered your question either. They just gave the stock '8 gigs is better than 4 gigs' response. I, at least, answered your Maverick-based question.

arbogast777
Aug 6, 2013, 08:23 AM
Sorry. I couldn't even understand what question you were asking in the following sentence.

"Between Timer Coalescing (I just like saying that), App Nap, and Compressed Memory, don't you think comparing an Air running on Mountain Lion with 4GB and an Air running on Mavericks at 4GB would be apples and oranges?"

I also noticed no one else answered your question either. They just gave the stock '8 gigs is better than 4 gigs' response. I, at least, answered your Maverick-based question.

My Mavericks question was indeed answered 2 posts before yours by Stagmeister, who had no problem understanding what I was asking, and who *might* have thought it was a dumb question but had the class not to say as much twice :rolleyes:

kodeman53
Aug 6, 2013, 08:42 AM
My Mavericks question was indeed answered 2 posts before yours by Stagmeister, who had no problem understanding what I was asking, and who *might* have thought it was a dumb question but had the class not to say as much twice :rolleyes:

:rolleyes:

/end

Mike in Kansas
Aug 6, 2013, 08:44 AM

I understand what you were asking. What you wanted to know was, if Mavericks is expected to make your OS run more efficiently, if you needed 8GB of RAM under ML would you still need 8GB of RAM under Mavericks? Or, putting it your way, is comparing RAM needs between Mavericks and ML like comparing apples and oranges?

Seemed like a straightforward question to me. Maybe the poster who reacted negatively to your comment uses English as a second language and just couldn't comprehend the question (based on his snarky replies).

kodeman53
Aug 6, 2013, 08:57 AM
I understand what you were asking.
Hind sight is always 20/20.

In the future, I will ignore threads like this. Lesson learned for me.

newdeal
Aug 6, 2013, 09:51 AM
actually 8gb is not ALWAYS better than 4gb. When you have 8gb your sleep image is 8gb, when you have 4gb its 4gb therefore for people who want to maximize storage on the SSD and don't desire multitasking or virtual machines 4gb would be better

Mike in Kansas
Aug 6, 2013, 11:34 AM
In the future, I will ignore threads like this. Lesson learned for me.

Somehow I doubt that. Your posting history suggests that you love being cantankerous and inflammatory.