PDA

View Full Version : Jailbreak Apple TV benefits

mattward
Aug 5, 2013, 10:58 AM
are there any real benefits to jail breaking an Apple TV besides the slight customization options?

linds15
Aug 5, 2013, 11:41 AM
are there any real benefits to jail breaking an Apple TV besides the slight customization options?

It's not the customization people are after its the content you have access to plus things like plex

quandmeme
Aug 5, 2013, 12:53 PM
I have my movies on a network drive. If I hadn't jail broken my kids would have had to trouble shoot iTunes running as well as Apple TV. Even if you don't have kids, who needs the extra steps?
I use and love firecore. It was definitely worth it.

AlabamaSlammer
Aug 5, 2013, 04:34 PM
Xbmc.....

AppleCruncher
Aug 7, 2013, 11:41 PM
Xbmc.....

This...although it's flaky as hell and so freaking slow loading things...still worth it.

ZeRoLiMiT
Aug 8, 2013, 09:12 AM
XBMC!!!!

on my AppleTv2 it was amazing and pretty good in speed

AlabamaSlammer
Aug 8, 2013, 09:23 AM
This...although it's flaky as hell and so freaking slow loading things...still worth it.

I have to say, I have never had a problem using xbmc. Never been flaky but sometimes it is a little on the slow side compared to it running on my computer.

starkmj
Aug 8, 2013, 11:12 AM
I have my movies on a network drive. If I hadn't jail broken my kids would have had to trouble shoot iTunes running as well as Apple TV. Even if you don't have kids, who needs the extra steps?
I use and love firecore. It was definitely worth it.

So can you play iTunes Store content from the networked drive?

ZeRoLiMiT
Aug 8, 2013, 01:51 PM
the XMBC would not be able to play itunes content.

only way to do it is with itunes/appletv/iphone/ipad

unless you remove the DRM

dynaflash
Aug 8, 2013, 02:01 PM
the XMBC would not be able to play itunes content.

only way to do it is with itunes/appletv/iphone/ipad

unless you remove the DRM

True, but xmbc does have airplay in which case anything you can watch on your iphone, ipod touch or iPad can be streamed to an atv running xbmc. Works great.

AppleCruncher
Aug 8, 2013, 06:57 PM
I have to say, I have never had a problem using xbmc. Never been flaky but sometimes it is a little on the slow side compared to it running on my computer.

Many of the sources or add-ons are just flaky. Works one day, not the next, then works again.

ZeRoLiMiT
Aug 8, 2013, 08:08 PM
I just love the way XBMC looks AMAZING!!! I really wish appletv would look like that! and have a grid view or something better :apple: