Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fabienne

macrumors 65816
Original poster
I am looking for advice. After 7 years of using Zencart I thought I would look around and see what was new and interesting in the line of shopping carts. I stumbled across the hosted carts: Volusion, Bigcommerce, and Shopify. They look like a great leap forward, as they are hosted on their servers and have a good deal more security than I normally do. However, they do take away the control that I have with my website right now. I do a lot of my own work, when something bigger goes wrong, I do have a group of "nerds" who help me straighten it out. We have a good relationship and they are honest folk. I have a high volume business and have to be responsible for quite a few orders every month, they are normally all multi-product orders.

The advice I am looking for from you is to answer some simple questions. Is a hosted shopping cart a good idea? If so, which ones have the better reputations? Have you any direct experience with hosted shopping carts? How was it?

I have been in business for 7 years and during that time I have used Zencart as my shopping cart. I have put together a bunch of different things to make it work:
1) QBI which allows my cart to download directly into Quickbooks, it's a small program which just sends down the information. I have had a few problems with it over the years, but basically it works very well. It is a sensitive thing though.
2) I don't use much SEO. I am a niche market vendor and I have used the full force of Google two years ago to try to drive business to my store and it was a miserable failure. I tried a private company before them and that was a miserable failure, too. So, I conclude SEO is a waste of money for my product. So, SEO is not a feature I care about.
3) Shipping, I am using ShipStation and it does a good job. I have not taken the time to connect all of the features but if I am not going to continue with them, I don't want to spend the time and money to hook it all up.
4) Mail Chimp-I send out about 2 newsletters a month to thousands of people.
5) The Zencart itself. I have quite a few add ons for it. I can send client's names and addresses to Mailchimp to sign them up for my newsletter (works well), Sitemap, Apsona ShopAdmin (which is great), sales reports
6) Backup-I have to do this by hand. I have tried the automatic backup from zencart and it has never worked. My webhost is pretty lousy on this, you have to go into the database and manually download a copy to yourself. It's a pain. But it is necessary. As for backing up the site, that is manual as well....Back up with FTP ugh. Not fun.
7) PayPal-I love it. I download my expenses all the time for Quickbooks after formatting them for my financial guy first in Exel.

I want to do the design myself and can re-design someone else's basic look. I am looking for a more efficient set up than what I have if that is possible, also something which takes away the anxiety when something goes wrong (or better yet, something which won't cause the trouble in the first place....just had a major snafu with the current USPS shipping module install and that was a big pain).

Thanks for your advice here. I am sorry if I didn't get all of the terms straight, the idea of hosted websites is pretty new for me having been something of a do it yourselfer. It would be great to spend more time coming up with and making and shipping the product, and less time being my IT department.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.