Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Peter Griffin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2005
I find the CPU heat on my iBook to climb upwards of 50 C/122 F whenever I'm browsing webpages with lots of animations and iTunes together. Just wondering if this was normal since I've only realized it recently after getting a heat widget. Is it normal for the CPU to sometimes overheat or heat up this much when doing such minute tasks? My main fear is of it frying the precious innards. Thanks :cool:

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
Peter Griffin said:
I find the CPU heat on my iBook to climb upwards of 50 C/122 F whenever I'm browsing webpages with lots of animations and iTunes together. Just wondering if this was normal since I've only realized it recently after getting a heat widget. Is it normal for the CPU to sometimes overheat or heat up this much when doing such minute tasks? My main fear is of it frying the precious innards. Thanks :cool:

I dunno, but this is why I haven't downloaded Tiger yet on my iBooks. My fans NEVER turn on in Panther. Ever.

But if I were you, I would make sure your room around the computer is cool and at least have a window open or a small fan nearby so that you can assure it airflow. Heat kills Macs.

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
grapes911 said:
That doesn't sound legal. :rolleyes:

I doesn't. I meant this is why I haven't PUT Tiger on my iBooks yet! Staring at the unopened Tiger box, still.

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
I found that all Apple laptops get really hot. My G3 was freaking hot, and so is my G4.

Just think, you got a sweet 2 for 1 special! An iBook AND a space heater!

If it gets too hot, it'll shut itself off before anything bad can happen. Don't worry about it. :)

(easier said than done, I know!)

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
At that temp, you're perfectly fine. Don't worry about it. My PB routinely goes into the 60's and two years on is still going strong.

And as Katie said, there's an inbuilt safety mechanism to prevent the frying of any innards! :)

TBi

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2005
Ireland
California said:
I doesn't. I meant this is why I haven't PUT Tiger on my iBooks yet! Staring at the unopened Tiger box, still.

If your fan doesn't turn on in Panther then more than likely it won't turn on in Tiger. What are you so worried about? It's only a computer and there are many of us running Tiger on our iBooks without any problem. It's a bit of a waste to have bought Tiger and never used it. I installed it the first day i got it.

Oh and to the first poster. 50C is nothing, really it is very cool for a laptop. My old Dell used only turn on the fans when the CPU hit 70C, remember laptop CPU's are built to take the heat better than standard desktop models.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.