PDA

View Full Version : Multi-monitors with odd screen sizes

hexpill
Aug 5, 2013, 11:54 PM
Hello world:

I've been searching around like crazy, found at least one person that has asked this question, but no answer.

I have a multi monitor setup with five screens as laid out in the screenshot below. As you can see, there's the gap between the largest monitor and the right vertical monitor due to the odd size of that bottom-right monitor, which happens to be a AOC e1649fwu. My problem is that I can't move the cursor across this gap and have to travel around through this bottom-right monitor if I want to get stuff on that right vertical monitor. Now, I've pursued several avenues:

1. Make both bottom displays 1280 pixel wide. This would reduce the gap size since the large center monitor is 2560 pixels wide. I can make this adjustment on the bottom-left monitor (that's the Macbook Pro monitor), but can't on the bottom right (AOC) since it has a fixed resolution of 1366x768. Figuring out how to reduce the resolution for this one by any means would solve it.

2. Using a warping program. There's software out there like Wormhole that makes a tiny "window" that teleports the cursor from one point of the display to another, but I'd like to just move the cursor from the edge of the center monitor and have it land on the right vertical monitor. Finding a program that works like Wormhole but uses the whole edge of a screen and transports the cursor to the other side would also solve it.

ANY HELP will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you and have a good day.
Respectfully,
Frank

hexpill
Aug 13, 2013, 12:57 AM
I think that a third option would be to find some type of monitor emulator with a resolution of 246x1080 pixels. I could then fit it right in that gap and bridge it. Has anyone seen something along those lines?

----

Alright! So I found a solution to the problem. I'm using a program called Syphon Virtual Screen (https://github.com/andreacremaschi/Syphon-virtual-screen). Download the binary and follow the instructions on the page. I edited the /System/Library/Extensions/EWProxyFramebuffer.kext/Contents/Info.plist file and added a "Gap" virtual monitor with the needed resolution. Now my layout looks like the attached thumbnail.