PDA

View Full Version : YouTube..."This account cannot be used on Apple TV"

Staples57
Aug 6, 2013, 08:05 AM
After updating my Apple TV (Gen 2) to OS 5.3, I'm unable to login to YouTube with My Google ID.
The message I get is... "This account cannot be used on Apple TV"

Yes, I have gone through the process of creating an application password, however, it does not allow me to login to YouTube through the Apple TV.
I continue to get the same error message... "This account cannot be used on Apple TV"

I am able to login on my PC without any issues.

I have created another Google login and followed the instructions found on the web to "solve" this problem, but unfortunately nothing has worked.

Does anyone have any suggestions or guidance?

Cheers!

Staples57
Aug 8, 2013, 11:02 AM
Anyone?

palmharbor
Aug 8, 2013, 11:43 AM
Certainly U don't want to sign-in just to watch videos! You don't need a user name and password YET. If this is just to make comments that the author will never read...just pass on it.

Zellio
Aug 8, 2013, 01:16 PM
For me, I have to sign in to youtube due to the fact that I have lots of subscriptions that update that I like to watch.

So, there are reasons to sign in, and not want to if you can't.

Staples57
Aug 8, 2013, 01:36 PM
I'm trying to access my SUBSCRIPTIONS.
...I hate using the search feature!

Staples57
Aug 12, 2013, 11:40 AM
Anyone?

apunkrockmonk
Aug 12, 2013, 11:44 AM
I have no idea of the actual cause.

Only thing I can think of is maybe it's related to how many channels you're subscribed to?

Staples57
Aug 12, 2013, 01:07 PM
I've only subscribed to about 10 channels.
...I can't see that being the issue

In any case, I've created a new Google / YouTube account (with no subscriptions) and got the same message.

I'm starting to think that YouTube is restricting access and not permitting the YouTube Apple TV app from logging in?

I have no idea of the actual cause.

Only thing I can think of is maybe it's related to how many channels you're subscribed to?

akm3
Aug 12, 2013, 02:56 PM
Are you non-US or is your YouTube non-US?

wzz
Aug 12, 2013, 11:18 PM
Just wondering, can you watch this with ur iphone/ipad?

because i remember i was trying to find certain youtube videos, but they were not available - simply because the video (of interest) were configured to show on computers only

ThunderRobot
Aug 13, 2013, 11:18 AM
For what it's worth, I had a similar experience.

This was down to my YouTube account having migrated from old, original YouTube to a Google account.

Instead of my old YouTube username / password I now have to sign in with myname@gmail.com / password.

On my Apple TV, signing out of YouTube then signing in with the new details fixed it.

Staples57
Aug 16, 2013, 09:02 AM
Thanks for the suggestion, I've tried that also.

I'm starting to think that YouTube is restricting access and not permitting the YouTube Apple TV app from logging in?

Cheers!

For what it's worth, I had a similar experience.

This was down to my YouTube account having migrated from old, original YouTube to a Google account.

Instead of my old YouTube username / password I now have to sign in with myname@gmail.com / password.

On my Apple TV, signing out of YouTube then signing in with the new details fixed it.

alent1234
Aug 16, 2013, 06:46 PM

Cheers!

I'm logged in on mine and I have had a YouTube account for a decade now
Just log in with your gmail info and it should work

unlinked
Aug 21, 2013, 10:24 AM

Cheers!

I had a little trouble setting up my account (due to 2 step verification) but it did work eventually with the app specific password. Not sure what your issue might be but I will say that the app seems fairly crap so it might not be worth getting too caught up with it. I couldn't find a way to view a list of new subscription videos and was reduced to checking each channel individually. Which kinda sucks when you have 50 of them. Instead of the Youtube app I just use PlexConnect to use the Plex Youtube app.

old-wiz
Aug 21, 2013, 10:45 AM
Just wondering, can you watch this with ur iphone/ipad?

because i remember i was trying to find certain youtube videos, but they were not available - simply because the video (of interest) were configured to show on computers only

Interesting! didn't know you could configure youtube videos that way.