PDA

View Full Version : Philips Expands iOS-Controlled 'Hue' Line with New Products

MacRumors
Aug 6, 2013, 08:23 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/08/06/philips-expands-ios-controlled-hue-line-with-new-products/)

The Verge reports (http://www.theverge.com/2013/8/6/4593386/philips-hue-led-lightstrips-bloom-energy-efficient-lights) that Philips is adding new products to Hue (https://www.meethue.com/en-US), its line of iOS-controlled LED light bulbs. The new products include "LightStrips", which are two-meter pieces of LED-inclusive tape that can be used to go around and highlight certain fixtures in the home, and "Bloom", a portable lamp powered by an LED bulb.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/08/hue_lightstrips-800x397.jpg
As with the original Hue, both products can be controlled with a free iOS app (http://www.appshopper.com/lifestyle/philips-hue) [Direct Link (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id557206189?mt=8)] to change features such as color and brightness, with an available output of 16 million possible colors. Both products also require the Philips Hue wireless bridge, which comes as a part of the Philips Hue starter pack. From Philips' German site (http://www.philips.de/c/stimmungsbeleuchtung/334495/cat/) [Google translation (http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A//www.philips.de/c/stimmungsbeleuchtung/334495/cat/&hl=en&langpair=auto|en&tbb=1&ie=UTF-8)] on the company's original LightStrips:In creating the right atmosphere at home sometimes the smallest changes can make a big difference. Philips offers lighting solutions that you can create great effects with subtle light effects and colors. See Philips Living Colors, candlelights and LightStrips playful and are easy to use. Elegant design combined with LED-based technology creates mood lighting with which you can create exactly the right atmosphere.RVGDckDhXEM
The Philips Hue LightStrips are priced at $89.95 and the Philips Hue Bloom is priced at $79.95. They join the Philips Hue Starter Pack that includes 3 LED bulbs and the Hue wireless bridge, a package which currently sells (http://store.apple.com/us/product/HA779VC/A/philips-hue-connected-bulb-starter-pack?fnode=43) for $199.95. As with the original Hue, both products will initially be sold exclusively (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/10/29/phillips-to-sell-ios-controlled-led-light-bulbs-exclusively-through-apple-stores/) through the Apple Retail Store and Apple Online Store (http://store.apple.com/).

Article Link: Philips Expands iOS-Controlled 'Hue' Line with New Products (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/08/06/philips-expands-ios-controlled-hue-line-with-new-products/)

madsci954
Aug 6, 2013, 08:25 AM
I'm holding out for Hue Christmas Lights :)

SwiftLives
Aug 6, 2013, 08:28 AM
I'm holding out for Hue outdoor lights.

iThinkIt
Aug 6, 2013, 08:30 AM
holding out for lights that are more reasonably priced.. :D

GoCubsGo
Aug 6, 2013, 08:33 AM
Outdoor lights would be really nice.

Shrink
Aug 6, 2013, 08:36 AM
And now your home can look like a low rider car...:cool:

;) :rolleyes:

GoCubsGo
Aug 6, 2013, 08:38 AM
And now your home can look like a low rider car...:cool:

;) :rolleyes:
I personally don't care for the colored lights all over my house. In fact, I'm not sure where I'd have colored lights at all. Perhaps on some shelves, but I'm a bit boring. I like the concept of Hue for sure but wonder if they could sell a less expensive bulb if it were only standard color ... and hopefully color corrected or daylight rated.

Jack97
Aug 6, 2013, 08:40 AM
I think these are so cool! :p

rshanahan
Aug 6, 2013, 08:49 AM
I am waiting for some other 'controller' to use with Hue. The biggest disadvantage is that the only control is from an IOS device. If not a wall mountable (preferably in a decora form factor) then at least if the switch is turned off of a Hue lamp that when it's turned back on it 'remembers' it's setting. Now, if you drop a/c to a bulb and then turn it back on, it goes to full white. Call me old fashioned, but I still prefer to be able to dim a light via a switch and not have to fumble for the phone. If I have missed something or some device that does this, please enlighten me.

And for those questioning, I currently own a Hue system, and just stating it's shortcomings (I have a significant investment of Leviton DHC controllers throughout the house and for now, HUE falls very very short of replacing a system like that for real world use). It is fun for parties though.

glenbogle
Aug 6, 2013, 08:57 AM
The bloom is almost reasonably priced. Could be tempted.

blackcrayon
Aug 6, 2013, 09:02 AM
I am waiting for some other 'controller' to use with Hue. The biggest disadvantage is that the only control is from an IOS device. If not a wall mountable (preferably in a decora form factor) then at least if the switch is turned off of a Hue lamp that when it's turned back on it 'remembers' it's setting. Now, if you drop a/c to a bulb and then turn it back on, it goes to full white. Call me old fashioned, but I still prefer to be able to dim a light via a switch and not have to fumble for the phone. If I have missed something or some device that does this, please enlighten me.

I agree, it would be nice if the bulbs could optionally remember their last setting when power is applied, and maybe you could do a "double flick" with the wall switch for them to just go full white (I think there is some other light system that works like this).
I actually control my lights most often from my computer with a little web page I made that sends commands via the huepl perl script, it does the stuff i want to do most often faster than using the app.

jfx94
Aug 6, 2013, 09:36 AM
I'm excited about this. I'm glad Phillips was successful enough with the Hue to do more products. Even though I don't use the color options too often (although they are really nice occasionally) it's great to have all the lights tied to my phone. I think I'll put the light strips around the ceiling in my 'home theater' room for mood lighting.

unplugme71
Aug 6, 2013, 09:40 AM
I bought the starter pack, used it for one weekend and that was it.

Personally, they should make standard LED bulbs (no color changing) and also single color choice bulbs at a reduced price.

I would like to control my entire lighting in the apartment with my iPhone.

Battlefield Fan
Aug 6, 2013, 09:48 AM
The LED strands might be nice for under cabinet lighting. Not so sure about the spotlight though...

pubwvj
Aug 6, 2013, 09:49 AM
So, what happens in five years when Philips or Apple discontinue support? Now your expensive lights are inaccessible with the new Apple hardware/OS. To deal with this you must maintain an older Apple iOS device just to access your lights. Then that dies, no support, no access. Sorry sucker!

Companies should be required to continue providing support for older hardware and software. New OSs should not be allowed to discontinue support for older software like Apple did with Classic, PPC, Rosetta, 68K, etc. Just because they want people to buy their new OS and hardware doesn't mean we should have to abandon our data and tools.

lotzosushi
Aug 6, 2013, 09:59 AM
The original Hue bulbs were great. I've got 8 of them hooked up around my house, never had a problem. Automatic timers and geo-fencing additions were great too. :) These are much better priced, I'm excited!

losthorse
Aug 6, 2013, 10:03 AM
So, what happens in five years when Philips or Apple discontinue support? Now your expensive lights are inaccessible with the new Apple hardware/OS. To deal with this you must maintain an older Apple iOS device just to access your lights. Then that dies, no support, no access. Sorry sucker!

Companies should be required to continue providing support for older hardware and software. New OSs should not be allowed to discontinue support for older software like Apple did with Classic, PPC, Rosetta, 68K, etc. Just because they want people to buy their new OS and hardware doesn't mean we should have to abandon our data and tools.

Or you could just support it yourself: http://developers.meethue.com/

I have read your thoughts on this elsewhere... more laws regulating softwear is not the answer. Your requirement for neverending support only prevents progress.

If you don't like the way tech companies support their product line then vote with your pocket book and don't buy it. Problem solved.

liavman
Aug 6, 2013, 10:05 AM
Controlling it from iWatch ( if and when ) would be quite natural.

Dorv
Aug 6, 2013, 10:06 AM
I'm holding out for Hue outdoor lights.

When you look at the longevity of the lights, they are a whole much better deal than you'd think.

JesseW6889
Aug 6, 2013, 10:30 AM
5050 RGB lights + 12v p.s. + generic arduino + bluetooth = $30 for two meters

jayducharme
Aug 6, 2013, 10:32 AM
What amazes me is that you can buy LED strip lights twice the length of the Philips for less than $10. Is being able to control the lights with your iDevice worth such a high premium?

PsychoLogicXen
Aug 6, 2013, 11:01 AM
Glad they're expanding the line! Yes they're expensive, but the geofencing is awesome, and everyone loves the color-changing effects when we throw parties.

nagromme
Aug 6, 2013, 11:06 AM
I'm holding out for Hue Christmas Lights :)

I think LightStrips might do the job! I wouldn't want to use the tape, though; hopefully those are little holes allowing you to tack/nail the strips in place removably, and just leave the tape backing on forever.

I think I might prefer the strip format to the regular Hue. I wonder how many strips you get for your $90? Just one would not be worth it.

What amazes me is that you can buy LED strip lights twice the length of the Philips for less than $10. Is being able to control the lights with your iDevice worth such a high premium?

Only if you find all the features of it useful (which I do) and/or fun (which I REALLY do).*

Otherwise, your money is best spent on whatever YOU need or want.

* The simple word "control" hides quite a lot of capability beyond what you may be thinking. Can those $10 strips change to the color of your choice by ANY method? Geofencing? Time-based security lighting? It's not just wireless and iOS on/off that you get for your money here. (Also, I don't think we know how many meters really come with the LightStrips. 2 meters per strip, but is it just one strip? The German site refers to a "Doppelpack" for 79€, so maybe 4 meters... but I'm not sure if that's the iOS/Hue/wireless version or something else with the LightStrip brand. If you do get 4 meters of Hue LightStrip for $90 vs. 4 meters of plain-old static LEDs for $20, the extra $70 sounds fine to me over the lifetime of the product.)

bstpierre
Aug 6, 2013, 11:21 AM
5050 RGB lights + 12v p.s. + generic arduino + bluetooth = $30 for two meters

Add internet connectivity and you can use cheerlights to control the color!

jmh600cbr
Aug 6, 2013, 11:23 AM
This is great. I really didn't want to spend 200$. 79.99$ is reasonable.

Dorv
Aug 6, 2013, 12:47 PM
Now, if you drop a/c to a bulb and then turn it back on, it goes to full white.

I prefer it that way. If I just need the lights on quick, I can flip the switch off/on and be good.

Plus it allows for my buddy, if he comes to walk my dog, to be able to use the lights in a more "normal" manner.

----------

When you look at the longevity of the lights, they are a whole much better deal than you'd think.

Sorry, replied to the wrong post.

glutenenvy
Aug 6, 2013, 06:15 PM
For that price I'm thinking Hue Laser with iOS tie in to my music library and a free bag of munchies.

cclloyd
Aug 6, 2013, 08:04 PM
Do the light strips need to have a power cord coming from one end to turn them on, or battery powered or what? If there is a cord, that eliminates a lot of places I would love to put them.

macs4nw
Aug 6, 2013, 08:09 PM
.....In creating the right atmosphere at home sometimes the smallest changes can make a big difference. Philips offers lighting solutions that you can create great effects with subtle light effects and colors. See Philips Living Colors, candlelights and LightStrips playful and are easy to use. Elegant design combined with LED-based technology creates mood lighting with which you can create exactly the right atmosphere.

The Philips Hue LightStrips are priced at $89.95 and the Philips Hue Bloom is priced at $79.95. They join the Philips Hue Starter Pack that includes 3 LED bulbs and the Hue wireless bridge, a package which currently sells (http://store.apple.com/us/product/HA779VC/A/philips-hue-connected-bulb-starter-pack?fnode=43) for $199.95. As with the original Hue, both products will initially be sold exclusively (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/10/29/phillips-to-sell-ios-controlled-led-light-bulbs-exclusively-through-apple-stores/) through the Apple Retail Store and Apple Online Store (http://store.apple.com/).

Article Link: Philips Expands iOS-Controlled 'Hue' Line with New Products (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/08/06/philips-expands-ios-controlled-hue-line-with-new-products/)

Definitely not inexpensive, considering how many 'Strips' and 'Blooms' one might need, but a designers dream, no doubt.

I wonder if these have a life expectancy, similar to the (very long) life expectancy of 'ordinary' LED lights?

DisMyMac
Aug 7, 2013, 01:05 AM

Try getting parts for anything in Greg Brady's attic..... all of the grooviest motion-lamps went EOL under Reagan.

I would go further with those requirements, using "harsh but fair" as a guideline. Anyways Hue seems like typical As-Seen-On-TV crap. Let's not be fooled this time.

dylanlive
Aug 7, 2013, 01:26 AM

And for those questioning, I currently own a Hue system, and just stating it's shortcomings (I have a significant investment of Leviton DHC controllers throughout the house and for now, HUE falls very very short of replacing a system like that for real world use). It is fun for parties though.

Hue can be controlled other ways as well. IFTTT will allow you to text or email to change lights. Hue has a web interface that you can change scenes on.

There are also various different apps that you can download. I have the "QuickHue" app on my Mac, so I can change lights directly from my computer's desktop.

http://www.everyhue.com/

This is great. I really didn't want to spend 200$. 79.99$ is reasonable.

I believe you still need the starter kit for the bridge.

snipper
Aug 7, 2013, 08:07 AM
It's clear that the target customers are.. kids with a lot a cash.

mdelvecchio
Aug 7, 2013, 09:52 AM
Do the light strips need to have a power cord coming from one end to turn them on, or battery powered or what? If there is a cord, that eliminates a lot of places I would love to put them.

they use a power cord. batteries would be a major PITA for multiple reasons.

----------

Anyways Hue seems like typical As-Seen-On-TV crap. Let's not be fooled this time.

an odd opinion, considering you dont have or use the product. i do. it offers me, and a great many more like me, value. thus we voted with our dollars. philips is happy w/ that return and is investing more into the relationship; to which i will likely do the same.

thats how business works. no value-added business is designed to make everyone happy, and thats OK.

----------

It's clear that the target customers are.. kids with a lot a cash.

1) most homeowners i know are not "kids".

2) theres nothing wrong with having cash to buy things you enjoy. if you dont have the cash, or dont enjoy the product, thats fine. plenty do.

nuckinfutz
Aug 7, 2013, 11:28 AM
I'm surprised these came out first. Discussions on everyhue.com pointed at BR30 and MR16 bulbs as the next likely additions for Hue.

I'll gladly take light strips and a spotlight though. I love my Hue system. I admit I haven't taken the time to delve in and set things up the way I want but i'm going to be redoing my network and wanted to wait.

I'm thinking i'll like to eventually do lightstrips for bias lighting behind my next HDTV which will be wall mounted.

The spotlight may come into play if I see a suitable opportunity. At this point this is Philips game to lose. They are building the most comprehensive solution for networked lighting and frankly the guys working on similar projects on Kickstarter and Indiegogo are succumbing to the "now" familiar "we've got money, a great idea but lack execution skillet"

Philips Hue isn't cheap but it's working well and growing.

iLilana
Aug 7, 2013, 02:53 PM
I like them but the price point needs to drop a bit.

quaternio
Aug 7, 2013, 06:21 PM
I am waiting for some other 'controller' to use with Hue. The biggest disadvantage is that the only control is from an IOS device.

The newer Logitech Harmony Remote hubs (the Ultimate, and the cheaper version) advertise that they can control the Hue system.

An expensive combo, but it works for someone like me who would probably be buying the new harmony remote anyway.

PNutts
Aug 10, 2013, 12:19 AM
I am waiting for some other 'controller' to use with Hue. The biggest disadvantage is that the only control is from an IOS device.

So, what happens in five years when Philips or Apple discontinue support?

Because they are Zigbee standard they can be controlled with just about anything. My PC runs a Java based app that provides control, schedules, effects, etc., and available via HTTP to any browser on my network. It also does geofencing.

My work laptop integrates Hue and Lync via PowerShell and when I get on the phone a light outside my home office turns red so the kids know I'm on the phone.

There are many ways to send the commands to the Hue Hub. I wrote a quick and dirty HTML page based off someone else's work and ran it from my browser until I bought the Java app.

So Apple and Philips can disappear and Hue will be OK. ;)

robertosh
Sep 2, 2013, 04:00 AM
It will be a big sell in clubs.

PNutts
Oct 18, 2013, 05:50 PM
I just found out new Hue bulbs are instant on when power is applied (turning on with a wall switch, etc.). They plan to update the firmware on the old bulbs to make them behave the same.

rshanahan
Oct 19, 2013, 11:53 AM
Isn't that the way they are now? I have ones from back in December, and they are instant on when power applied, which is quite the disadvantage when one equips their house with a lot of them using the scheduler and/or iOS control. If the house loses power, say at 3am, then it comes on at 3:05am, ALL hue bulbs come in, pretty irritating in my estimation.

I'm sure there are pros/cons to this, and different applications that this works or doesn't work for. For me, I have three bulbs, and that will be all I have as they don't fit into my 'application'

I just found out new Hue bulbs are instant on when power is applied (turning on with a wall switch, etc.). They plan to update the firmware on the old bulbs to make them behave the same.

PNutts
Oct 19, 2013, 08:50 PM
Isn't that the way they are now? I have ones from back in December, and they are instant on when power applied, which is quite the disadvantage when one equips their house with a lot of them using the scheduler and/or iOS control. If the house loses power, say at 3am, then it comes on at 3:05am, ALL hue bulbs come in, pretty irritating in my estimation.

I'm sure there are pros/cons to this, and different applications that this works or doesn't work for. For me, I have three bulbs, and that will be all I have as they don't fit into my 'application'

Now, yes. Previously when power was removed and then applied they would remain dark for a second or two and then quickly fade in to full brightness. I don't know when the change was made but folks in different countries noticed it at different times.

There's been a lot of discussion on what the bulbs should do when powered on. Some folks want them to come back to the state they were when the power was shut off. Philips opted to make them act like an incandescent.