PDA

View Full Version : Stop iMessage from opening automatically...

hakr100
Aug 6, 2013, 11:37 AM
How to stop iMessage from opening automatically...
...when I turn on my MacBook Air.

I have iMessage on my iMac and on my MacBook Air. Same settings on both, same settings in notifications.

When I turn on my iMac, iMessage does not pop open with the latest messages displayed. This is the way I want iMessage to behave.

But on my 2013 MBA, when I turn it on, iMessage opens up automatically and displays the last messages on the screen. This is not what I want to happen.

So, how do I gain control of iMessage on my MBA?

(Posted this in the wrong section, trying again. Sorry. :o )

SandboxGeneral
Aug 6, 2013, 11:41 AM
Is it in your Login Items? System Preferences --> Users & Groups --> Login Items.

If its there, remove it and that should fix it for you.

ricede
Aug 6, 2013, 11:44 AM
It sounds like its set to open automatically on login.
Open System Preferences - go to Users & Groups and then click on the 'Login Items' tab.
Check to see if iMessages is in the list. If it is - highlight it and then click on the minus button to remove it.

hakr100
Aug 6, 2013, 11:48 AM
Thanks, but no, it isn't in login items. :confused:

MPB11
Aug 7, 2013, 02:30 PM
i have the same problem butn ever found a solution unfortunately....what I ended up doing is putting it by myself in the login items but hidding it at startup in system preferences. that way, it does open as usual but I don't see it.

hakr100
Aug 7, 2013, 04:02 PM
To add to the confusion...

As far as I can tell, every setting for iMessage is set the same on my iMac and my new MBA. When I shut down the iMac and restart it, I notice that any apps I had open before the shutdown are closed. But on the MBA, if iMessage was open when I shut down the MBA, it is still open when I restart the MBA.

And I mean SHUTDOWN the MBA, with the switch at the upper right of the keyboard.

:confused:

SandboxGeneral
Aug 7, 2013, 06:09 PM
To add to the confusion...

As far as I can tell, every setting for iMessage is set the same on my iMac and my new MBA. When I shut down the iMac and restart it, I notice that any apps I had open before the shutdown are closed. But on the MBA, if iMessage was open when I shut down the MBA, it is still open when I restart the MBA.

And I mean SHUTDOWN the MBA, with the switch at the upper right of the keyboard.

:confused:

Is this checked when you shutdown the MBA?

Suraj R.
Aug 7, 2013, 06:33 PM
I experience the same thing and Messages isn't in my login items

...but I really don't care lol.

hakr100
Aug 7, 2013, 06:34 PM
Is this checked when you shutdown the MBA?

Bingo! Thanks. :D

SandboxGeneral
Aug 7, 2013, 06:36 PM
Bingo! Thanks. :D

Great! I love it when a plan comes together.

TheBonesMachine
Oct 17, 2013, 04:20 PM
…but the settings are all correct. Apple Care tried to help me already trough the chat but said, if it doesn't work I should call them and maybe they can help me but before I do that or make a Genius Bar appointment, I'd like to check if there are some other ones out there with the same annoying problem?? HELP please..

rlsysit
Dec 16, 2013, 01:59 PM
And yes, it's a privacy issue for me. I need to get this resolved.