PDA

View Full Version : Keep or return my MacBook Air?

countofmc
Aug 6, 2013, 12:03 PM
I recently picked up a 2012 version MBA, 11 inch, 128gb. It was on clearance at my local Best Buy for 665 dollars. I personally never saw a brand new Mac go this cheap, so I picked it up.

I also have a 2009 13 inch MBP I use as my primary computer and also an Ipad 2.

My biggest reason I got the MBA is because it was so cheap. After that, I thought maybe it would be a good Ipad replacement and I could sell my Ipad. I was wrong on that, the Ipad definitely still has an important place in my daily usage and I want to hang on to it.

The issue I have with the MBA is ergonomics. The sharp edges keep digging into my palms when I type, and the way I place my hand when I use the trackpad, my thumb is digging directly into that sharp groove in the front of the laptop. This makes it kind of uncomfortable to use for an extended period of time.

Otherwise I LOVE the MBA. Beautiful design, the Apple functionality I've grown to love, very light and portable.

So I'm kind of on the fence. Right now the MBA is definitely a "want" over a "need". My MBP still works perfectly, and coupled with the Ipad gives me all the mobility I need (and to be honest, I rarely use my computers and devices outside of home anyways). But I also don't want to return a terrific device that I feel I got such a good deal on.

Plus my MBP is getting a bit long in the tooth (I usually find 5 years to be the useful life of a computer), so once it dies, maybe I can just use the MBA as my primary computer by buying a keyboard/ mouse and hooking it up to an external monitor?

What do you think?

EDIT: One last consideration is that Apple devices seem to retain their resale value so well that I"m also thinking I could just use the MBA sproadically (maybe just for travel, outside of home, etc) and sell it in 2-3 years for a decent price...

scaredpoet
Aug 6, 2013, 01:49 PM
ALl of the options you suggest are workable. Not to mention, the MBA is equal to or better than the MBP you have in terms of speed and performance anyway. So it could potentially replace the MBP as your primary computer.

robvas
Aug 6, 2013, 02:54 PM
Funny - the Air doesn't have the high edge that the front of the wrist rest does on the Pro - so I don't have the problem of it digging into my wrist.

AXs
Aug 6, 2013, 03:40 PM
I'll give you $700 for it.:p (it's a great DEAL!)

SusanK
Aug 6, 2013, 09:26 PM
I'm using that same MBA now and I am crazy in love with it. I use it on my lap. Maybe that's why the edges don't feel sharp to me?

I can understand your attraction to the MBA. Mine was $998 on Black Friday sale 2012 at Apple if that helps.

Good luck with your decision. I vote to keep it but it's not my money :)