PDA

View Full Version : Should I take this deal??

britdoss
Aug 6, 2013, 03:02 PM
Hi,

I was wondering what you think about purchasing a Macbook Air at the following sale price. The only reason I wouldn't is because I was wondering if they were coming out with a new Macbook Pro in the near future.

I am a resident of Georgia, and there is a tax free day next weekend. They are offering a sale on the Macbook Air for $949 and are offering an upgrade to the 8 GB with Apple Care, Office 365, and Data Transfer for $1548. Both of those would be without tax.

Should I take this deal or wait for the new Macbook Pro?

I have an old Macbook right now that is really slow to pull up anything (it has seen better days). I only use my computer for web-browsing, writing papers, downloading pictures, etc. I would like the lighter computer for traveling purposes, but I only travel for leisure once or twice a year.

Another question: They let you sell your old computers to them. How much should I look for from them? I have a 2007 White Macbook with a new hard drive (1 year old) and not much topical damage.

I really appreciate your help!

AXs
Aug 6, 2013, 03:36 PM
To put into perspective,

my i5/8/256 with Apple Care and Microsoft Office for Home and Business cost me:

$1500+300+250 = $2050 (approx. after conversion).

You guys in the states are lucky. Oh and of course Student discounts... :mad:

nick42983
Aug 6, 2013, 10:08 PM
I'm not interested in Microsoft Office, so that's up to you if you want it. If you can get the deal with the memory upgrade, but not all the extras, that's what I'd go for. Sounds like a Macbook Air is more than enough for you, even though portability isn't that important. I doubt you can get more than $200-300 for your laptop. I have a 2009 unibody with the fastest processor and it's going for $400 max on Craigslist.

Jefe's MacAir
Aug 6, 2013, 10:48 PM
Unless the Retina screen is a must have then the Air should meet all your needs. I'd definitely get the 8g but I've passed on AppleCare the last three times on my Airs. My iPhone is a different story but that is a different thread. You do get a 1 year warranty w/ an option to purchase AppleCare up to a year after purchase. Which should fall on your tax free weekend next year. :) Unless you need the customer phone support I don't think the AppleCare is necessary. Your money, your call. It's not a terrible deal.

Don't expect much for your old computer. It's more than you'd get for a pc though.:apple: They'd probably charge you a disposal fee for the pc.;)