PDA

View Full Version : Most annoying part of using two platforms?

pinto32
Nov 16, 2005, 01:03 PM
Like most people, I must use multiple computing platforms (Windows 2000/XP and OS 9/X). While most modern OS's have at least somewhat similar user interfaces, there are always differences. Some are perfectly fine, while others can get kinda annoying.

Personally, my biggest problem with Windows is the way in which you use the mouse to highlight text. In OS X, one click = nearest letter, two click = nearest word, three click = entire sentence/paragraph. On windows, you do not have the 3-click option, and it annoys me to no end, as I am constantly copying and pasting text at work (college library).

So, what is your biggest peave about going from one OS to another. It can be big, it can be small, it can be completely crazy, but what is it?

katie ta achoo
Nov 16, 2005, 01:05 PM
Windows has no expose and it's really not easy to do accents in it!

I keep trying to do my hot corners, but it doesn't work!

Also, a lack of (pretty much)universal spellcheck!

Can't forget that the minimize, maximize, and close are on the wrong side.

/mmm, nitpicky.
//YUM!
///YEssss
////where's my dock? What's this "start" button??

brendel95
Nov 16, 2005, 01:23 PM
No spotlight in windowz. I can't live without it now

mcmadhatter
Nov 16, 2005, 01:41 PM
I got my first mac 3 months ago, and now everytime i use a windows pc, i keep doing things like <windows key> + <q>,<c>,<v>,<add any other useful mac shortcut here...>

EDIT: I didn't know about the three click system, but having just learnt (and played) with it, I can see that it is going to drive me crazy when I use windows, it's just so useful.

stridey
Nov 16, 2005, 01:43 PM
Mouseless navigation, absolutely. When I'm using my Mac, I rarely ever touch the mouse. Most of what I want to do is probably available in Windows, but I don't have that level of knowledge with the operating system, and unlike OS X, it's not a trivial task to find out.

EGT
Nov 16, 2005, 01:46 PM
No Spotlight: The other day I was searching for something on my dads computer (XP). I sat for ages waiting for results to show up! D'oh.

Finder: The lack of Finder is pretty hard to take. I just love Finder and how I have everything organised.

Exposé: so important. It makes your heart sink when you go to one of the active corners and nothing happens.

Pressing the wrong shortcut keys or forgetting them altogether is pretty annoying.

From the opposite end of the spectrum; there is lots of good software for windows that isn't available for OS X. I can't think of anything from the XP OS that I'd like to have on OS X, but I'm sure there is something...

stridey
Nov 16, 2005, 01:52 PM
From the opposite end of the spectrum; there is lots of good software for windows that isn't available for OS X. I can't think of anything from the XP OS that I'd like to have on OS X, but I'm sure there is something...

IMO, there's exactly one. When copying a folder with name x to a directly that already contains folder x, I want the ability to merge the folders (like XP does), in addition to the "replace" and "replace all" that OS X does.

TheMonarch
Nov 16, 2005, 01:56 PM
I hate that Mac reads windows formats, but Windows doesn't read Mac formats!!!

Pick a universal one? :confused: :eek: :o

dr_lha
Nov 16, 2005, 01:56 PM

As I'm forced to use Windows on my work laptop, I share your pain. However I've found that Google Desktop is a passible replacement. Certainly it cures my biggest issue with Windows of having to hunt through the Start Menu for program.

On Spotlight I type the name of the program and then click on it, this also works with Google Desktop.

Mord
Nov 16, 2005, 02:06 PM
windows.

Mitthrawnuruodo
Nov 16, 2005, 02:18 PM
Windows has no Exposé and no Quicksilver. Annoys the p*ss out of me... all those windows accumulating (especially when using the tabbed challenged IE) and having to alt-tab thorough every single instance of every single running app is extremely painful, and having to start programs from the start menu or even start bar or, even worse, desktop icons are just plain barbaric.

On the other hand, other Macs without Quicksilver and without Exposé hot corners enabled, are highly irritating, too...

EGT
Nov 16, 2005, 02:22 PM
On the other hand, other Macs without Quicksilver and without Exposť hot corners enabled, are highly irritating, too...

I've recently installed Quicksilver but I don't think it has 'clicked' with me yet.

Still trying to get used to it.

Morn
Nov 16, 2005, 02:35 PM
Lack of a spell checker in windows. Lack of expose.
On the other hand, the more clicks it takes to close a program in osx and the added difficulty in changing process priorities.

Mitthrawnuruodo
Nov 16, 2005, 02:39 PM
I've recently installed Quicksilver but I don't think it has 'clicked' with me yet.

Still trying to get used to it.It's great once you get dependent... ;)

Also I think the main point is that whatever little OS specific idiosyncrasies you've developed on your main platform will always be missed when you're forced to use multiple systems...

SummerBreeze
Nov 16, 2005, 02:57 PM
Switching cmd and ctrl. On Windows, I try to save a bunch of times before I realize I'm pressing the wrong shortcut. Drives me crazy.

Mitthrawnuruodo
Nov 16, 2005, 02:59 PM
Switching cmd and ctrl. On Windows, I try to save a bunch of times before I realize I'm pressing the wrong shortcut. Drives me crazy.Oooh... yes... I forgot about that (selective memory ;))... extremely annoying... :mad:

DaveP
Nov 16, 2005, 03:21 PM
I actually do not like Finder and prefer Windows Explorer. I always find myself forgetting that I can't create folder's in the save dialog.

topgunn
Nov 16, 2005, 03:21 PM
My biggest complaint stems from sharing a keyboard between the two. It is your basic wired Apple keyboard, the same that still ships today. In windows, I hit the windows key instead of the alt key since they are reversed on the Mac keyboard.

Mitthrawnuruodo
Nov 16, 2005, 03:34 PM
I actually do not like Finder and prefer Windows Explorer.Heretic!!!

:p ;)
I always find myself forgetting that I can't create folder's in the save dialog.In OS X? Of course you can... :confused:

generik
Nov 16, 2005, 03:48 PM
Pressing Apple-Q to exit Windows applications.. :P

And Apple-Tab doesn't work like Alt-Tab in Winndows

revisionA
Nov 16, 2005, 03:52 PM
I hate having to buy two different licenses for the same software... for the same person to use!

$

adk
Nov 16, 2005, 03:54 PM
Whenever I try to hit the apple button I end up hitting that stupid windows button that brings up the start menu.

Oh, and the spyware, viruses etc. that come with windows.

Zeke
Nov 16, 2005, 04:17 PM
Most annoying part of using two platforms?

Hmm...would have to be...using Windows.

stridey
Nov 16, 2005, 04:54 PM

Still trying to get used to it.

You definitely want to read this (http://vjarmy.com/archives/2004/03/quicksilver_a_b.php?) if you haven't already.

Makosuke
Nov 16, 2005, 06:53 PM
My biggest annoyance is unquestionably how Windows handles text selections, like the first poster, but a different quirk of it:

If you click on a filename in the Finder and wait, it comes up highlighted so you can rename the file. If you then hit the "up" arrow, it goes to the begining of the former selection (meaning the begining of the filename) so you can append something to the begining. Also, hitting up arrow at any point takes you to the begining of the line, meaning the begining of the filename (or any other text entry box)

So far as I can tell, the behavior in Windows is almost the same except for the arrow key part--whichever key you hit the cursor goes to the END of the selection, and hitting up goes back one character, not to the begining of the selection. This drives me nuts, since it requires an additional click (and a careful one) to get the cursor to the begining of a filename.

Lacero
Nov 16, 2005, 06:55 PM
Command+Keystroke is easier than Control+Keystroke on Windows. My little pinky doesn't reach far enough. :(

Ditto what everyone else typed.

Yoyodyne
Nov 16, 2005, 09:21 PM
Originally Posted by stridey
IMO, there's exactly one. When copying a folder with name x to a directly that already contains folder x, I want the ability to merge the folders (like XP does), in addition to the "replace" and "replace all" that OS X does.

I can't count the number of times I've cursed at this problem. I sync certain folders a couple times a week and this drives me crazy. I actually prefer the merging technique of XP.

Oh, I almost forgot: the trailing list of hidden files left over!

Laser47
Nov 16, 2005, 10:07 PM
The most annoying part ive experienced is realizing how crappy windows is. It didint bother me before because I guess I got used to it, but now after ive switched my expectations have become higher becuase my ibook doesnt give me the problems windows game me.

I dont mind using windows, it just ticks me off more when somthing goes wrong than before I had a mac. But I still need my pc to play my games.

I also have the problem of using mac shortcuts on my pc, like pressing windows+s and stuff like that.

Oh, how I love my iBook.............:)

mad jew
Nov 16, 2005, 10:34 PM
The hardware. Nothing that runs Windows looks even half as good as a Mac. :(

I use XP and Tiger quite interchangeably so I'm quite used to their many idiosyncrasies. Having said that, OSX could potentially have Solitaire inbuilt. That'd probably make it perfect.

zen.state
Nov 16, 2005, 10:52 PM

really? I use it maybe once a week and I have hundreds of thousands of files.

Xephian
Nov 16, 2005, 11:18 PM
I use both platforms and wish Windows had something like Expose'. It's really useful when you have many windows open.

rmanger
Nov 16, 2005, 11:21 PM
For Macs, it's the games. Having a Mac at a LAN party limits the amount of gaming variety you can have by a good amount.

As for Windows, I absolutely hate the imprecise mouse control. I wince whenever I use the mouse on a PC since the Mac mouse is so much smoother.

Morn
Nov 17, 2005, 12:48 AM
>I actually do not like Finder and prefer Windows Explorer. I always find myself forgetting that I can't create folder's in the save dialog.

Many programs have a new folder button in the save dialog box on OSX.
Unfortunately the save dialog box lacks any context menu functionality, there are a few parts of OSX where context menus are missing, which is an annoyance.
Another thing is how finder will cut short long file names if it lacks the room to display them, in small icons, list or column view. Explorer will not. This is extremely annoying if you have a folder full of long file names of documents or media files.
On windows though I find I start missing expose, I don't think expose is a perfect solution, it takes too long to recognise the window just from a thumbnail of it. But in some situations it's easier than dealing with a cluttered task bar. So I'll find myself looking for an expose function forgetting to keep track of the task bar in windows.

ortuno2k
Nov 17, 2005, 03:30 AM
No spotlight, expose or dashboard on Windows.
Only thing I miss is a way to sync the contacts in my Exchange server to my Mac's "Address Book."
Can't see how to keep them both in sync. Anyone?
Other than that...don't miss Windows at all! (I'm a recent convert) :)

EGT
Nov 17, 2005, 02:57 PM
You definitely want to read this (http://vjarmy.com/archives/2004/03/quicksilver_a_b.php?) if you haven't already.

Good lord, Quicksilver is something all right! :eek: I've seen a few members mention it but I thought, "ahh, it's just a launcher app. how boring". It's better than Spotlight!

Very nifty indeed.

generik
Nov 17, 2005, 03:30 PM
The hardware. Nothing that runs Windows looks even half as good as a Mac. :(

I use XP and Tiger quite interchangeably so I'm quite used to their many idiosyncrasies. Having said that, OSX could potentially have Solitaire inbuilt. That'd probably make it perfect.

Actually ironically I also have the same bone to pick. The HARDWARE, I never have any issues with my PCs. I cannot understand how for the life of me why I would pay more for a slower mac with more issues.

mad jew
Nov 17, 2005, 03:34 PM
Actually ironically I also have the same bone to pick. The HARDWARE, I never have any issues with my PCs. I cannot understand how for the life of me why I would pay more for a slower mac with more issues.

Yeah, the lines across the new 15 inch PowerBook's screen really aren't acceptable.

Gohan
Nov 17, 2005, 04:28 PM
I like spotlight, expose' & iTunes

I dislike the fact that I have never owned a Mac that was as robust as a home built PC / XP combo. Apple hardware in general and OSX just have way too many little niggles.

Morn
Nov 18, 2005, 07:17 AM
I always getting niggles from nvidia drivers on my home built PC though.