PDA

View Full Version : Returning Powerbook to Apple

bollard
Nov 16, 2005, 01:52 PM
Hi Everyone,

I'm returning my refurb PB back to Apple due to the lack of advertised superdrive. I've transferred everything over to the new PB. Just want to delete everything on the old Powerbook and then send it back. How do i reset it to the original factory settings and remove all files and documents. Cheers

iEdd
Nov 16, 2005, 02:20 PM
You boot of an OS install disc. Erase and reinstall. When it wants you to enter a username for the computer, press and hold the power button. It should be like a new computer to whoever is next to own it.

dodonutter
Nov 16, 2005, 02:44 PM
Or boot it off the Boot Disk, run disk utility from the menu, select the Drive (not the volume, ie not 'Macintosh HD', the '74.5GB TOSHIBA...' above it) then select 'erase' from the tabs at the top, then the 'security options' button at the bottom and then any of the security options (ie 'zero all data') 35 time overwrite is probably a little excessive though.

If you just erase the drive it just clears the directory but the files are still on the hard drive, the index of where they are is deleted...zeroing all the data will get rid of your data completely (unless some1 has some clever software)