Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vojta3476

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2013
Boston, MA
Hi,

I have a refurbished 2012 11" MacBook Air. 2.0GHz i7, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD. Purchased it about 6-7 months ago directly from Apple. I've never had any troubles with it.

Once in a while I reinstall the OS just to speed it up a little bit. I notice slight lag over time if I install some applications and whatnot, so I'd say I've reinstalled 10.8 Mountain Lion about 3-4 times.

Being that type of person, liking everything clean and fresh and crisply running, I decided to run the Apple Hardware Test just for the heck of it, despite not having any issues.

It comes up with error code 4HDD/11/40000000:SATA(0,0). I have no idea why that would be. It's obviously something to do with my hard drive, but I've never experienced an issue with my hard drive and had no reason for concern prior to running this test.

Has anyone else seen this before? Do you know what it is? And what should my plan of action be? Do I need to take it into an Apple store to have them have a look and diagnose the problem?

Thanks in advance for your input.

vojta3476

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2013
Boston, MA
From the Apple pages:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4023442?start=0&tstart=0

All points to a bad SSD or bad cable...you might not have issues now, but if you still have warranty I'd get it back to Apple...the AHT is not always 100% though...still, it won't hurt to get this checked out.

In the thread you posted a link to, the guy said his computer "freezes and crashes" whereas I have noticed nothing wrong with mine.

Are you saying that I may have just so happened to catch the problem before it becomes a big deal, and should get it dealt with ASAP? Like I realized my computer has HIV but want to get it treated before it gets AIDS?

Edit: Sorry for the weird example, it was the first thing that came to mind.

Edit 2: If I bought my refurbished MacBook from the Apple website 6-7 months ago, does that mean it's under warranty and they will replace it if it's faulty? I didn't purchase AppleCare or anything like that.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
In the thread you posted a link to, the guy said his computer "freezes and crashes" whereas I have noticed nothing wrong with mine.

Are you saying that I may have just so happened to catch the problem before it becomes a big deal, and should get it dealt with ASAP? Like I realized my computer has HIV but want to get it treated before it gets AIDS?

Edit: Sorry for the weird example, it was the first thing that came to mind.

Edit 2: If I bought my refurbished MacBook from the Apple website 6-7 months ago, does that mean it's under warranty and they will replace it if it's faulty? I didn't purchase AppleCare or anything like that.

Yes, that's what I meant...since you still have warranty, I'd get it checked by Apple..Won't cost you a dime.

vojta3476

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2013
Boston, MA
Yes, that's what I meant...since you still have warranty, I'd get it checked by Apple..Won't cost you a dime.

Do I need to bring in like a receipt or the UPC from the box it shipped in or anything like that?

Not expecting you to know this but if you happened to that would be cool. :)

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Do I need to bring in like a receipt or the UPC from the box it shipped in or anything like that?

Not expecting you to know this but if you happened to that would be cool. :)

If you bought from Apple, they will have the Mac registered to you..you should not need any further proof if you take it to the store...check the "My Products Support" page to ensure that your Mac is properly registered...this is usually done automatically at purchase time by apple using your Apple ID.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.