PDA

View Full Version : Vodafone UK Announces 4G Service, Rollout Begins August 29

MacRumors
Aug 7, 2013, 09:26 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/08/07/vodafone-uk-announces-4g-service-rollout-begins-august-29/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/08/vodafone_4g-250x170.jpgVodafone, the world's second largest mobile carrier, has announced (http://www.vodafone.co.uk/4G/index.htm) that it will begin a 4G network rollout in the United Kingdom on August 29. The company has said that service will begin in London and will expand to twelve more cities within the UK by the end of the year, and is claiming that it will have 98% indoor coverage across the UK within the next few years.

Price plans will begin at 26 a month without a mobile device for unlimited calls, texts, and 2GB of data, or 34 for a plan that includes a 4G ready device, unlimited calls and texts, and 500MB of data, and existing customers with a 4G ready device can upgrade for an additional 5.

Vodafone is also offering customers the chance to trade in devices for discounts toward 4G ready devices, with sign ups beginning on the 12th of this month both in store or online. Notably, Apple's iPhone 5 will not be compatible with Vodafone's 4G LTE service due to differences in frequency support, although many expect the issue to be resolved with the launch of the iPhone 5S as soon as next month.

The company is also offering unlimited data for the first three months of service when a customer signs up with a new plan, as well as a promotional deal for Spotify Premium (https://play.spotify.com/) or Sky Sports Mobile TV (http://www1.skysports.com/mobile/) for six months depending on the tariff.

Vodafone's announcement news comes after O2 announced (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/08/01/o2-becomes-second-british-carrier-to-offer-4g-services/) last week that it would become the second British carrier to offer 4G service, and also joins carrier EE (http://ee.co.uk/), which launched its 4G network last October. Currently, EE's 4G network is the only one of the three British carriers to be compatible with the iPhone 5's 4G LTE bands.

Article Link: Vodafone UK Announces 4G Service, Rollout Begins August 29 (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/08/07/vodafone-uk-announces-4g-service-rollout-begins-august-29/)

keysofanxiety
Aug 7, 2013, 09:30 AM
Vodafone are the worst UK carrier. 2GB data is pathetic, and 500MB is an absolute joke. All other UK carrier have unlimited data at that same price.

Not to mention Vodafone's 3G speeds are slower than 56K modem connections. Bunch of bastards, I'm so glad I'm no longer with them.

bushido
Aug 7, 2013, 09:34 AM
Vodafone are the worst UK carrier. 2GB data is pathetic, and 500MB is an absolute joke. All other UK carrier have unlimited data at that same price.

Not to mention Vodafone's 3G speeds are slower than 56K modem connections. Bunch of bastards, I'm so glad I'm no longer with them.

2GB would be a dream for me. Im stuck with 200mb having to reset it for 5 all the time during a month

3bs
Aug 7, 2013, 09:44 AM

They suck in Ireland too.

Quercus Alba
Aug 7, 2013, 09:46 AM
Not remotely interested in 4G until Three get their grubby mittens on it.

fullfast
Aug 7, 2013, 09:50 AM
I am just using it as a way to upgrade early......

3bs
Aug 7, 2013, 09:55 AM
Not remotely interested in 4G until Three get their grubby mittens on it.

You think it'll be all you can eat?

peterh988
Aug 7, 2013, 09:57 AM
Vodafone are the worst UK carrier.

Many years ago, Vodafone threatened to cut me off, unless I paid them the 80 they wanted......... to close my account.

Guess which option I took?

I too am looking forward to seeing if Three can live upto their promises.

Gav2k
Aug 7, 2013, 09:59 AM

Yep. Threes press statement said all existing customers will just get it free with no fees

peterh988
Aug 7, 2013, 10:00 AM

They've claimed same deals, same prices, just 4g instead of 3g. I hope thats true.

I'm suspicious of the drop in price of the One Plan, with regards to tethering.

keysofanxiety
Aug 7, 2013, 10:04 AM
Many years ago, Vodafone threatened to cut me off, unless I paid them the 80 they wanted......... to close my account.

Guess which option I took?

I too am looking forward to seeing if Three can live upto their promises.

Yep, Vodafone can sincerely go screw themselves. I'm currently with T Mobile/Orange/EE -- whatever they are -- and although my friends have occasionally found they're a little incompetent with billing, (especially on shared plans/multiple SIMs), they'll always get it sorted for you.

I've always maintained: Vodafone are evil, the rest are just useless. Big difference though. :D

3bs
Aug 7, 2013, 10:04 AM
Yep. Threes press statement said all existing customers will just get it free with no fees

They've claimed same deals, same prices, just 4g instead of 3g. I hope thats true.

I hope it's the same in Ireland. I've asked a while ago and they said it will be but I was suspicious too.

Kariya
Aug 7, 2013, 10:05 AM
Vodafone are absolutely dire. They were my first network and it was painful. Never again since then, i wouldn't even buy their PAYG SIM. I know someone else who just jumped ship from them too.

I really hope Three continue to succeed and show the others how its done.

Chrjy
Aug 7, 2013, 10:29 AM

I'm on Three as well, have they mentioned or does anyone have any idea when they are intending to roll out their 4G service?

bbfc
Aug 7, 2013, 10:36 AM
I'm on Three as well, have they mentioned or does anyone have any idea when they are intending to roll out their 4G service?

They've said it will launch in Q4. But they are in no rush apparently as they are happy with their current Ultrafast network. Which is understandable, they offer faster data speeds than EE.

----------

Most carriers (except for Three) have terrible data plans. 34 p/m for 500MB data is an absolute joke. Even EE's closest tariff offers 1.5GB (for 36 p/m), which is still shocking for a network built for the data! We don't need unlimited calls and texts!!

I predict Three will gain A LOT of new customers over the next few months.

keysofanxiety
Aug 7, 2013, 10:47 AM
Most carriers (except for Three) have terrible data plans. 34 p/m for 500MB data is an absolute joke. Even EE's closest tariff offers 1.5GB (for 36 p/m), which is still shocking for a network built for the data! We don't need unlimited calls and texts!!

:confused: GiffGaff have great data plans. Pretty much unlimited data if you're paying more than 16 a month. I'm currently with T-Mobile and paying 16 per month for unlimited everything. EE's data plan is only 1.5GB because it's at 4G speeds; if you go for EE's 3G plan (basically, go with Orange or T-Mobile), you'll be getting unlimited data.

Not sure about O2's data plans but I know Vodafone are far from competitive, and most carriers have pretty good data plans. :)

Kariya
Aug 7, 2013, 10:50 AM

Im on the new One Plan and i'm typing this to you via Personal Hotspot Tethering.

roadie.f
I only have 100MB in Canada, talk about suck-ness.

Waiting for Verizon to come up and change the game.

everything-i
LOL they can't even provide decent 3G, what a joke.

bbfc
Aug 7, 2013, 10:52 AM
:confused: GiffGaff have great data plans. Pretty much unlimited data if you're paying more than 16 a month. I'm currently with T-Mobile and paying 16 per month for unlimited everything. EE's data plan is only 1.5GB because it's at 4G speeds; if you go for EE's 3G plan (basically, go with Orange or T-Mobile), you'll be getting unlimited data.

Not sure about O2's data plans but I know Vodafone are far from competitive, and most carriers have pretty good data plans. :)

I was mainly talking about 4G. The tariffs are an absolute joke and make no sense, as the network was built for data. Three are the only network to offer unlimited data on 4G (they've already announced customers will pay no more).

In terms of Unlimited data tariffs on 3G, Three offer the best value with the lowest upfront costs for hand sets. T-Mobile offer a unlimited data plan for 27 and then want 149 for the iPhone 4S! Three offer it for FREE for 23 p/m (as an example).

peterh988
Aug 7, 2013, 11:04 AM
Im on the new One Plan and i'm typing this to you via Personal Hotspot Tethering.

Did you switch from another plan? Do you have to port your number again if you do it?

I've been using the 15 all you can eat data sim only, seems stupid not to switch to the 15 One Plan sim only.

Kariya
Aug 7, 2013, 11:11 AM
Did you switch from another plan? Do you have to port your number again if you do it?

I've been using the 15 all you can eat data sim only, seems stupid not to switch to the 15 One Plan sim only.

New customer in the process of porting from O2.

I'd be surprised if you couldn't move from an existing Three plan if eligible.

peterh988
Aug 7, 2013, 11:13 AM
New customer in the process of porting from O2.

I'd be surprised if you couldn't move from an existing Three plan if eligible.

I'll pop in on Friday and see. Three store is opposite the Apple Store in the Mall, must resist impulse buying!

vmistery
Aug 7, 2013, 11:35 AM
I am on Vodafone because they were the only ones offering the 5 on a 12 month tarrif at launch. Never again would I go with them, no customer service when there is a problem and their website kept denying my address was valid when I was trying to sign up! I was on O2 and would just returne to them if they hadn't got such a tiny slice of the spectrum for 4G. Will have to see what it's like around the 5s launch.

scottish
Aug 7, 2013, 11:41 AM
I'll pop in on Friday and see. Three store is opposite the Apple Store in the Mall, must resist impulse buying!

Check out the discussions here - http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/three-one-plan-2000-mins-5000-texts-unlimited-data-15pm-for-12m-18pm-for-1m-63-cashback-1620954

I'm sure I saw a suggestion of opening a new account and then porting your number from your old account. You can open the new account via a cashback website and get up to 63 back.

I'm very tempted but waiting for the next iPhone.

Chrjy
Aug 7, 2013, 11:55 AM
They've said it will launch in Q4. But they are in no rush apparently as they are happy with their current Ultrafast network. Which is understandable, they offer faster data speeds than EE.

Surely not as fast as EE's 4G network though?

I predict Three will gain A LOT of new customers over the next few months.

I still can't understand why all the other networks except Three have such bad data allowances. What year do they think we live in?

Greedy extortionists if you ask me!

Sabenth
Aug 7, 2013, 11:59 AM
currently on three one plan i am due an upgrade in november hopefully the 4g is around then i have the 4s at the moment. I have had no issues with 3 at all were ever i have gone over the uk there has been no issues with speed and reliability only issue i had was a small price increase when vat got changed

Chrjy
Aug 7, 2013, 12:02 PM
currently on three one plan i am due an upgrade in november hopefully the 4g is around then i have the 4s at the moment. I have had no issues with 3 at all were ever i have gone over the uk there has been no issues with speed and reliability only issue i had was a small price increase when vat got changed

My only complaint about Three is their customer service.

peterh988
Aug 7, 2013, 12:03 PM
Check out the discussions here - http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/three-one-plan-2000-mins-5000-texts-unlimited-data-15pm-for-12m-18pm-for-1m-63-cashback-1620954

I'm sure I saw a suggestion of opening a new account and then porting your number from your old account. You can open the new account via a cashback website and get up to 63 back.

I'm very tempted but waiting for the next iPhone.

Thanks, I'll more than likely go the quidco way. I'm waiting for iphone 6, so no problems for me in that regard. I just want (official) tethering.

bbfc
Aug 7, 2013, 12:14 PM
[/COLOR]

Surely not as fast as EE's 4G network though?

I still can't understand why all the other networks except Three have such bad data allowances. What year do they think we live in?

Greedy extortionists if you ask me!

Yes. Even compared to EE, Three sometimes offer much faster data speeds. There's a lot of stuff online about it.

EE claim to be the fastest overall network. Which is probably true, but what does it matter when the majority of its customers will still recieve speeds that are similar to 3G.

----------

My only complaint about Three is their customer service.

I agree with that. Everything else about Three is good, but when you ring customer service it feels like a cowboy operation where nobody has a clue. They totally messed up my upgrade order a few months back and lied about delivery dates. I admit it was annoying but when you think of what you are getting for your money, it's seems trivial.

Thankfully I've only had to call them a few times.

parish
Aug 7, 2013, 12:14 PM
LOL they can't even provide decent 3G, what a joke.

Yep, which is why I'm moving to Orange/EE when my contract ends mid-September.

My wife is with Orange/EE and for the last couple of months I've been noting the signals we both get. At least 50% of the time she gets a better signal (usually 3G) plus I know I will get a 3G Orange/EE signal at work where VF struggles with 2G - and even voice only works if you face in a certain direction.

Perhaps if VF spent less sponsoring McLaren Formula One and more on their network they'd keep me as a customer.

kendo88
Aug 7, 2013, 02:04 PM
Guys, don't be so quick to judge. The info in this post is wrong. The 500mb at 34 actually corresponds to the amount of free wifi. You actually get 2gb of 4G data at 34. Basically you can take any current red plan, add 5 per month, double the data, and add either free spotify premium or sky sports mobile. That sounds like a good deal to me.

The tariffs work out better value than EE

EDIT: when I say good value, I mean in relation to vodafone's current 3G tariffs. I still don't like anybodies 4G tariffs for myself, as I don't use many minutes. I'm looking forward to see tesco mobile's 4G offerings, along with their anytime upgrade tariffs, might be really compelling

justperry
Aug 7, 2013, 02:15 PM
2GB would be a dream for me. Im stuck with 200mb having to reset it for 5 all the time during a month

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=17056475#post17056475

:-o

19 for unlimited 100mbit/s internet inclusive unlimited homeline (which i never use but its included with any internet plan by default so whatever)

11 iPad 1GB data (which i literally havent used ever, im always on wifi with my iPad, so technically i should have just gotten the wifi only version)

35 iPhone, the phone itself was 1

premium deluxe cable tv + HD 19

Nuff said. ;):p

bbfc
Aug 7, 2013, 02:28 PM
Guys, don't be so quick to judge. The info in this post is wrong. The 500mb at 34 actually corresponds to the amount of free wifi. You actually get 2gb of 4G data at 34. Basically you can take any current red plan, add 5 per month, double the data, and add either free spotify premium or sky sports mobile. That sounds like a good deal to me.

The tariffs work out better value than EE

EDIT: when I say good value, I mean in relation to vodafone's current 3G tariffs. I still don't like anybodies 4G tariffs for myself, as I don't use many minutes. I'm looking forward to see tesco mobile's 4G offerings, along with their anytime upgrade tariffs, might be really compelling

The Spotify deal is good I suppose. Vodafone are apparently offering Unlimited data free for the first 3 months on 4G tariffs.

This link has more details on the tariffs and what you get...

Newcomers to Vodafone's 4G service will be able to choose between three different packages Red 4G-ready, Red 4G-ready L and Red 4G-ready XL.

As a counter to the extras on offer by EE4G and O2 4G Vodafone have announced that all three packages will come with the choice of either a free Spotify Premium account or free Sky Sports Mobile TV.

There are some differences though, if you choose the standard Red 4G-ready plan you'll only get six months of either whilst both Red 4G-ready L and Red 4G-ready XL will give you free Spotify or free Sky Sports Mobile TV for up to two years.

Prices start at 34 per month for Red 4G-ready with 2GB of data whilst Red 4G-ready L goes up to 39 per month giving you 4GB. If you're after some serious browsing then Vodafone's Red 4G-ready XL plan starts at 44 per month and gives you 8GB of monthly data.

Making sure current Vodafone customers don't feel left out the company has also announced that existing customers on Vodafone Red will be able to switch to 4G for 5 per month extra. In return they'll get double the amount of data and the choice between free Spotify or free Sky Sports Mobile.

For those who already own a 4G-ready phone like the Samsung Galaxy S4, Vodafone is offering a SIM-only plan that starts at 26 per month and will throw in free Spotify Premium or free Sky Sports Mobile TV for the first six months.

http://www.t3.com/news/vodafone-4g-plans-unveiled-with-free-spotify-and-free-sky-sports

44 p/m for 8GB of Data! Seriously??

bushido
Aug 7, 2013, 02:31 PM
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=17056475#post17056475

Nuff said. ;):p

Im in spain on a study abroad program right now if u rly need to know :p stalker ;)

peterh988
Aug 7, 2013, 02:43 PM
44 p/m for 8GB of Data! Seriously??

Which will be about 4-5 football matches on Sky Go, you can burn through your data in a weekend at that rate. Considering they're pushing the dig data eaters as a reson to buy into 4g, you think they'd offer a package that could actually feed the beast (4G providers in general)

bbfc
Aug 7, 2013, 02:54 PM
Which will be about 4-5 football matches on Sky Go, you can burn through your data in a weekend at that rate. Considering they're pushing the dig data eaters as a reson to buy into 4g, you think they'd offer a package that could actually feed the beast (4G providers in general)

Exactly. If you use Spotify and stream/download at the 'Extreme' rate and then watch videos etc, you could burn through it quite quickly.

egoistaxx9
Aug 7, 2013, 07:36 PM
i remember when i lived in UK, vodafone was my favorite carrier, they always had the best things, best ads, best offers, best coverage, etc. looks like vodafone is gonna stay the best, they are always busy improving, it's really great, it's a good thing.

Reason077
Aug 8, 2013, 04:47 AM
i remember when i lived in UK, vodafone was my favorite carrier, they always had the best things, best ads, best offers, best coverage, etc. looks like vodafone is gonna stay the best, they are always busy improving, it's really great, it's a good thing.

Well, they certainly do have the best ads.

But, are Vodafone using unethical "mind tricks" to attract customers?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6gPn8FHuLM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDbDy0xcxnw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSOw5ye7jKU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HCRnC8fLA4

bbfc
Aug 8, 2013, 06:40 AM

I do like those adverts though.

----------

Not any more.

Three have the best offers now.

everything-i
Aug 8, 2013, 09:30 AM
Yep, which is why I'm moving to Orange/EE when my contract ends mid-September.

My wife is with Orange/EE and for the last couple of months I've been noting the signals we both get. At least 50% of the time she gets a better signal (usually 3G) plus I know I will get a 3G Orange/EE signal at work where VF struggles with 2G - and even voice only works if you face in a certain direction.

Perhaps if VF spent less sponsoring McLaren Formula One and more on their network they'd keep me as a customer.

Such a bunch of crooks I complained to them and they sent me a new sim, as if that was going to make any difference. Here in London during the day there is no data through put at all, it can take minutes to send an iMessage which is only a few bytes. My contracts up soon and I will be renewing with anyone rather than Vodafone.

egoistaxx9
Aug 8, 2013, 11:06 AM

actually, i like those ads:o