PDA

View Full Version : new MBA 11" i7 going to sleep in the middle of typing a sentence.

davideotape
Aug 7, 2013, 09:46 AM
anyone else having this issue?
did a quick search but didn't see anything.

dr34mc4st3r
Aug 7, 2013, 10:29 AM

check out this other thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1618118

DisplacedMic
Aug 7, 2013, 10:43 AM

that search was quick indeed - loads of people are having this problem!
my theory is it's related to the SSD

Mr Rabbit
Aug 7, 2013, 11:29 AM
Are any magnets nearby? Is it sitting on or next to another Apple portable?

The sleep switch uses magnets to determine when the display is closed, at which time it initiates sleep. If a magnet is waved over the Mac (I think the right palm rest area on these) it can fool the sleep switch and put the Mac to sleep regardless of what you're doing.

edit:
Ah, didn't click through the above link. It sounds like a somewhat known issue at this point. Odd though, I've deployed roughly 10 new MacBook Airs at work over the past 2 months and hadn't heard of this issue yet.

Tarrou8
Aug 7, 2013, 11:53 AM
Maybe it didn't sleep well the night before and dozed off?

AXs
Aug 7, 2013, 12:09 PM
Maybe it didn't sleep well the night before and dozed off?

Hahah... okay, I gotta admit I laughed at this. :D

@Mr Bunny- It's a common issue, about 80% of Haswell Air owners face this problem. Most likely a softwareVShardware issue.

Mike in Kansas
Aug 7, 2013, 03:14 PM
@Mr Bunny- It's a common issue, about 80% of Haswell Air owners face this problem. Most likely a softwareVShardware issue.

80% OF ALL 2013 MBA owners????!!!! That's a pretty huge proportion. Are you sure about that??? Maybe "70% of the readers of MacRumors who read a specific thread and actually voted", but 80% OF ALL Haswell MacBook Air owners? That's a huge amount. Careful in throwing around statistics...

AXs
Aug 7, 2013, 03:41 PM
80% OF ALL 2013 MBA owners????!!!! That's a pretty huge proportion. Are you sure about that??? Maybe "70% of the readers of MacRumors who read a specific thread and actually voted", but 80% OF ALL Haswell MacBook Air owners? That's a huge amount. Careful in throwing around statistics...

Careful with repeated consecutive question marks and exclamation marks. They don't strengthen your argument by the least bit.

I understand how statistics work very well. This isn't random sampling.

By the way, you ARE aware how statistics work right? Eg when they say "40% of American teens smoke marijuana" - Have you been under the impression that they went and accounted for every Teen in the US of A?

I have acknowledged that the result may be a little biased due to the likelihood of people with non-problem not clicking on this thread, and voting... But it's still more conclusive that your open statement. I have a poll which illustrated at that moment that 80% of 2013 Haswell Air owners who participated in the open poll, had said issues.

Do you have any support to state otherwise?

Exactly.

By the way, most importantly, you added 'ALL'...and repeated 'ALL'.
I never said that. I said 80% of Haswell Air users. Could most accurately describe populus of the Macbook Air segment of MacRumors forums.

I don't see why you're disproving a statement that you yourself asserted.:eek:

DisplacedMic
Aug 7, 2013, 04:24 PM
Careful with repeated consecutive question marks and exclamation marks. They don't strengthen your argument by the least bit.

By the way, you ARE aware how statistics work right? Eg when they say "40% of American teens smoke marijuana" - Have you been under the impression that they went and accounted for every Teen in the US of A?

I have acknowledged that the result may be a little biased due to the likelihood of people with non-problem not clicking on this thread, and voting... But it's still more conclusive that your open statement. I have a poll which illustrated at that moment that 80% of 2013 Haswell Air owners who participated in the open poll, had said issues.

Exactly.

By the way, most importantly, you added 'ALL'...and repeated 'ALL'.
I never said that. I said 80% of Haswell Air users. Could most accurately describe populus of the Macbook Air segment of MacRumors forums.

I don't see why you're disproving a statement that you yourself asserted.:eek:

to be fair - you're the one making a suspect claim so i think the onus is on you to support it when someone calls shenanigans.

also, 80% of X and 80% of all of X is precisely the same thing.

AXs
Aug 7, 2013, 04:53 PM
Absolutely NOT the same.

http://www.phil.cmu.edu/projects/logicandproofs/alpha/htmltest/resources/images/square.jpg

Okay now please stop derailing the thread. It's irrelevant exactly how many Haswell Air users that are non-Macrumors members - may or maynot have this issue. Fact is you don't know. And even if you did, it doesn't matter.

Point is to assure people (like myself when I created the thread highlighted above, that this is not an individualistic scenario.

We have found out that it is more common than not. THat's all that matters. We're not trying to disprove the big bang theory. Okay.. nothing to see here, move along now.

halledise
Aug 7, 2013, 05:31 PM
We're not trying to disprove the big bang theory. Okay.. nothing to see here, move along now.

you mean to say the big bang theory is right - shoot, I've been labouring under a misapprehension then for all these years.
makes for a great TV show though

DisplacedMic
Aug 7, 2013, 05:42 PM
Absolutely NOT the same.

http://www.phil.cmu.edu/projects/logicandproofs/alpha/htmltest/resources/images/square.jpg

Okay now please stop derailing the thread. It's irrelevant exactly how many Haswell Air users that are non-Macrumors members - may or maynot have this issue. Fact is you don't know. And even if you did, it doesn't matter.

Point is to assure people (like myself when I created the thread highlighted above, that this is not an individualistic scenario.

We have found out that it is more common than not. THat's all that matters. We're not trying to disprove the big bang theory. Okay.. nothing to see here, move along now.

yikes, no need to be nasty. your logic square doesn't apply.

obviously when people are polled the statement presumably has an understood "from those polled" at the end not "of everyone in the world"

But one of the first things that come under attack when people report stats like that is going to be something like sample size or sample selection. Yes, maybe you polled 5 people standing in a line marked "Stand in this line if your laptop goes to sleep randomly" and found 80% of them are having their laptop go to sleep randomly. But that's not a great sample size or selection and making a claim based on it is disingenuous.

The point is, you guys got snippy with each other and i decided to chime in. as i have said, i think this is SSD related, but i think you're overstating the problem.

kodeman53
Aug 7, 2013, 06:03 PM
It's a common issue, about 80% of Haswell Air owners face this problem.

Site your source for it being 'common' and '80% of 2013 MBA owners face this problem'.

Mike in Kansas
Aug 7, 2013, 06:54 PM

By the way, you ARE aware how statistics work right? Eg when they say "40% of American teens smoke marijuana" - Have you been under the impression that they went and accounted for every Teen in the US of A?:

You obviously DON'T understand how statistics work based on these remarks. What the media reports and what is statistically accurate are two different things.

In your teen smoking example, the appropriate way to report it is to say that "40% of American teens sampled report that they smoke marijuana". You can not extend that statistic to the entire population of all American teens unless you talk about confidence intervals, sampling technique, bias and sample size.

You made the claim that 80% of Haswell MBA owners have this problem. I hardly believe that a self-reported survey on a Mac tech geek fan site is representative of the Haswell MBA population. 32 people responded to your survey; that's quite a leap to go from 32 respondents to the blanket claim that "about 80% of Haswell Air users face this problem".

I am amused at your response to those who call "bull" on your claims. You quickly back away from the 80% assertion that you yourself made and instead try to equate that to the same thing as "more common than not", which is now only greater than 50% versus the 80% you claimed. Quite a bit different. You also try to sweep it under the carpet and try to belittle the counter- point. Are you a politician by chance? (Did you see what I did there)?

And I don't need to prove anything; you made the claim and I challenged your technique, which does not hold up to scrutiny nor support your assertion. You used bad statistics, the same type that the Conservative media used to predict a major Republican victory in the last Presidential election, when a true unbiased statistician pegged the actual outcome.

----------

Are any magnets nearby? Is it sitting on or next to another Apple portable?

The sleep switch uses magnets to determine when the display is closed, at which time it initiates sleep. If a magnet is waved over the Mac (I think the right palm rest area on these) it can fool the sleep switch and put the Mac to sleep regardless of what you're doing.

edit:
Ah, didn't click through the above link. It sounds like a somewhat known issue at this point. Odd though, I've deployed roughly 10 new MacBook Airs at work over the past 2 months and hadn't heard of this issue yet.

So you have statistics that show that 100% of Haswell MBA's don't have this problem. Interesting to say the least, when others have "proven" just the opposite. :rolleyes:

AXs
Aug 7, 2013, 11:42 PM
all i read is a bunch of general and broad gibberish. Nothing definitive and certainly not technical.

There's a difference between P and p. that is all. I'm not going to teach you. k bye.

Mr Rabbit
Aug 8, 2013, 03:37 PM
So you have statistics that show that 100% of Haswell MBA's don't have this problem. Interesting to say the least, when others have "proven" just the opposite. :rolleyes:

I was just thinking that. The office I work in and my job role is the exact scenario where I would hear about an odd issue like this if it was widespread, since I'm basically "The Mac guy" and our users tend to report any sort of odd activity they observe.

If I could vote for the 10 (or wait a few days and make it 13 once 3 more users have a chance to get up and running) that are already deployed and running smoothly then the numbers would jump to 20 with no issues, 13 with it constant and 13 with it every now and then. If anything that should show that a very small sampling on a Mac centric tech site, where a great deal of people go simply for help with problems (meaning they are looking for others with the same problem), isn't the most conclusive after all.

When working as a Genius & technician I called this the internet effect. Mr Smith's has a MacBook pro that suddenly shutdown when he tilted the display. This concerns Mr Smith so he goes online and browses & searches for similar problems on Apple's support site or a community like MacRumors. To his dismay he finds 4 other people that mention "their MacBook Pro shutdown all of a sudden too", some when they tapped the display and some when they shifted the machine. He watches the thread/s for a few days and sees a few more people chime in. Now he's thinking this must be a known issue thats wide spread since he's found others with the "same" problem. Mr Smith makes an appointment and takes his MacBook Pro into the Genius bar only to be met by a Genius who has genuinely never heard of or seen this particular issue even though it's "widespread" and "all over" Apple's forums. Once his repair is complete he returns to the internet to either talk about the Genius' ignorance or how Apple is playing dumb to the matter. This happens day in and day out.

In regards to the original topic of this thread...

My guess is software as well. All of the Macs I deploy are built from the same base image with a variance of software packages added on as I configure them for use in our office. Since they come from the same base image (coincidentally currently using an image taken from a 2013 11" MBAir) there isn't much room for odd software problems to pop up between them, it will either affect none of them or all of them the majority of the time. So my guess is the 2013's in question are probably using a spotty image from Apple since there can often be several base images that are deployed to Macs. It's a rare scenario where theres an inherent issue with said images, but it can certainly happen. I'd give it a month or so and you might see a software update addressing this behavior.

FreakinEurekan
Aug 8, 2013, 11:34 PM

It's on the Internet, so it has to be true!

By the way, I'm a French model. Bon Jewer :)

Mrbobb
Aug 9, 2013, 12:52 AM
Wearing big, magnetic jewelry?

Ifti
Aug 9, 2013, 09:01 AM
If 80% had this issue it would be BIG news by now!
Its more likely a small minority to be honest.

Mine has never gone to sleep unless I actually close the lid properly.

Boyd01
Aug 9, 2013, 01:25 PM
Sorry to interrupt your bickering about statistics and punctuation....

But FWIW, I have never seen this issue on my week-old 2013 11" i7 8gb/512gb MBA.

kahkityoong
Aug 9, 2013, 01:31 PM
I've owned 3 ultimate builds of the 2013 13" MBA. 2 of them exhibited this behavior. I certainly wouldn't claim that 66.67% are affected but would suspect it is a common problem.

Riker88
Aug 10, 2013, 06:59 PM

Exactly.

Actually, having bad data is worse than having no data, in terms of how wrong you can be about something or how strongly you believe something to be true when it isn't.

AXs
Aug 10, 2013, 10:56 PM
kids... kids everywhere.

Please stop going off topic. Either post relevant to thread, or don't post.

Better to post on-topic, or don't post at all.