Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

durangojim

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 31, 2013
Didn't IOS 6 have a button to dismiss a call and send to voicemail? On IOS 7 that doesn't happen, or am I missing something?

KeanosMagicHat

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2012
Didn't IOS 6 have a button to dismiss a call and send to voicemail? On IOS 7 that doesn't happen, or am I missing something?

Hmmm - seems they've got rid of the Decline button on Beta 5.

Hope that's an anomaly as it can prove useful now and then. This is how it looked in the previous beta;

IOS-7-beta-4-changes-call-screen.png

Now it's back to a larger contact image with a "Slide to Answer" button where the Decline and Answer buttons were previously.

Last edited:

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
if you press the power button once it will send the call to Voicemail.

Incorrect.

1 press - silence ringer
2 presses - send to voicemail

Been like that since the 'iPhone'

KeanosMagicHat

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2012
if you press the power button once it will send the call to Voicemail.

Useful to know, but I'd prefer the return of the Decline button as it's easier and quicker to tap.

Also my power button is on the way out - which seems to be a relatively common problem.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Useful to know, but I'd prefer the return of the Decline button as it's easier and quicker to tap.

Also my power button is on the way out - which seems to be a relatively common problem.

Not me. I pushed it by accident. I'd prefer to have to hit the power button twice.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It's still there if you get a call phone the phone is unlocked, but not when it's locked.
Not me. I pushed it by accident. I'd prefer to have to hit the power button twice.
Well, in the case of getting a call when the phone is locked, there was a slider that had to be activated before that option would appear, so you wouldn't really hit it accidentally. In the case of getting a call when the phone is unlocked, the decline button is right there, that's true, but that version of it actually still the same in iOS 7, so it hasn't changed in that respect.
No. One push person thinks you were not at your phone. Two pushes, they know you sent them straight to voicemail. One polite, one rude.
Not necessarily rude--sometimes it can be used as an indicator to the caller that you see them calling but can't take their call (at that moment) for whatever reason. So, assuming the caller can get that, it can be useful, and even avoid the caller calling your phone multiple times thinking you are perhaps missing their call trying to get you to notice it.

KeanosMagicHat

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2012
OK I'm getting something that seems a little weird.

When people phone me who have a contact picture stored I get the "Slide to Answer" long button.

When there's no photo for the caller I get the "Decline" and "Answer" buttons.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
OK I'm getting something that seems a little weird.

When people phone me who have a contact picture stored I get the "Slide to Answer" long button.

When there's no photo for the caller I get the "Decline" and "Answer" buttons.
Is the phone exactly in the same state in both situations--essentially locked in both situations or unlocked in both situations? The locked/unlocked part is really what's generally behind you getting a slider to answer or answer/decline buttons.

BHP41

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
United States of America
Hmmm - seems they've got rid of the Decline button on Beta 5.

Hope that's an anomaly as it can prove useful now and then. This is how it looked in the previous beta;

Now it's back to a larger contact image with a "Slide to Answer" button where the Decline and Answer buttons were previously.

That's how it looks when you're using your iPhone and a call comes in. It's always been slide to answer when the screen is locked and always decline/accept when you're using it. Nothings changed. ;)

nikicampos

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2011

When the phone is unlocked iOS6/iOS7, you have the "Decline" option even in beta 5.

When the phone is locked in iOS 6, it was "Slide to Answer" and it had a tab at the right that you pulled up and then the "Decline" button appeared.

In iOS 7, when the phone is locked, there's no tab, no decline button, only "slide to answer" (also remind me later - message), but you can double click the sleep/wake button and it will send the call to voicemail.

KeanosMagicHat

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2012
Is the phone exactly in the same state in both situations--essentially locked in both situations or unlocked in both situations? The locked/unlocked part is really what's generally behind you getting a slider to answer or answer/decline buttons.

That's how it looks when you're using your iPhone and a call comes in. It's always been slide to answer when the screen is locked and always decline/accept when you're using it. Nothings changed. ;)

When the phone is unlocked iOS6/iOS7, you have the "Decline" option even in beta 5.

When the phone is locked in iOS 6, it was "Slide to Answer" and it had a tab at the right that you pulled up and then the "Decline" button appeared.

In iOS 7, when the phone is locked, there's no tab, no decline button, only "slide to answer" (also remind me later - message), but you can double click the sleep/wake button and it will send the call to voicemail.

Thanks for the clarification.

It's still strange though, as that's the complete opposite of how I'd want it to work.

If my phone is locked, I'm much more likely to be in a situation where I might not want to answer a call than if it were unlocked.

That's when the Decline button becomes even more useful.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Thanks for the clarification.

It's still strange though, as that's the complete opposite of how I'd want it to work.

If my phone is locked, I'm much more likely to be in a situation where I might not want to answer a call than if it were unlocked.

That's when the Decline button becomes even more useful.
I think it might be opposite of a more usual situation--if you are actually using the phone (and it's unlocked) then you are doing something on it and might not be able to take a call, thus the availability of a decline button right there to dismiss the call quickly and get back to what you were doing on the phone before the call came in.

And if you aren't doing anything on the phone (and it's locked) then the call isn't interrupting your use of the phone for something else at that moment (even if might be interrupting something else entirely you are doing) so not as much need to have the decline button right there available. However, I feel it should still be available there through a swipe menu or something like that (just not on the "surface" right away), similar to how it is on iOS 6.

Kuwait

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2012
Kuwait
i test press the power button Once and twice not sends it to voicemail with lock and unlock

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
i test press the power button Once and twice not sends it to voicemail with lock and unlock
when the phone is locked and you are getting a call pressing the lock/sleep button twice will decline the call. When it's unlocked there's a decline button on the screen for that, but the lock/sleep button can also still be used as I recall.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.