PDA

View Full Version : Tascam us-122 ( interface problem)

GBennett
Aug 7, 2013, 10:09 AM
Im using the original tascam us-122 (not mk2)
with Garageband , and have been for years.

I am pretty sure I have always had this issue, but can't guarantee it.

When I record guitar directly (with the correct impedence channel /swicth etc...)
I get an odd crackle and sudden death of the note on any sustained parts (hard to explain but sort of a "whoomph" noise) It's not awful and in the mix of a track it's not very noticeable , but it's really starting to limit my final quality of recordings.

has anyone had some similar problem or able to suggest what it might be?

I can't imagine it's a processing issue from my Mac mini ....... this sort of problem wouldn't suggest that to me

any help appreciated , don't want to just buy a new interface and find out I have the same issue
cheers

ChrisA
Aug 9, 2013, 07:06 PM
When I record guitar directly (with the correct impedence channel /swicth etc...)
I get an odd crackle and sudden death of the note on any sustained parts (hard to explain but sort of a "whoomph" noise) It's not awful and in the mix of a track it's not very noticeable , but it's really starting to limit my final quality of recordings....

DOes it go away if you place some kind of a booster device between the guitar and the audio interface. Try a booster or overdrive peddle. If this fixes it then you know it is an analog thing.

If you make radical changes in the recording settings like go from 44.1K at 16-bits to 24_bits at 96K and the same thing happens then it is NOT a processing problem. So try both experiments and report back here.

The way to debug this is to change things and see if the problem is fixed or not. Try a different guitar too.

Might help if you can post a recording so we can hear the problem.