Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mirzank

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 15, 2008
WHat is the difference between these two options on the iPhone? I'm sure both were there before ios 7 but I hadn't paid attention to it in a while. i recently reset settings on my device so need to figure out what they do.

The way i usually set my phone is that it only requires a passcode after 5 minutes. if the screen sleeps before then, and i wake before 5 mins, it wont ask password.

both of them seem to me like they do the same thing.

can someone explain. i googled but couldnt find anything specific on it.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
WHat is the difference between these two options on the iPhone? I'm sure both were there before ios 7 but I hadn't paid attention to it in a while. i recently reset settings on my device so need to figure out what they do.

The way i usually set my phone is that it only requires a passcode after 5 minutes. if the screen sleeps before then, and i wake before 5 mins, it wont ask password.

both of them seem to me like they do the same thing.

can someone explain. i googled but couldnt find anything specific on it.

Require password after X is exactly what it sounds like. You will need to enter your password in after that time has passed to access your device.

Auto-lock is when the screen will automatically sleep. Really it should be called Auto-Sleep but it doesn't have anything to do with your password time.

Ann P

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2009
California
Confusing I know. Auto-lock just refers the time the screen will turn off by itself, doesn't really have anything to do with your password.

mirzank

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 15, 2008
Require password after X is exactly what it sounds like. You will need to enter your password in after that time has passed to access your device.

Auto-lock is when the screen will automatically sleep. Really it should be called Auto-Sleep but it doesn't have anything to do with your password time.

thanks a bunch. i was thinking something a long the same lines but then i thought its such a major setting im sure apple would have worded it properly if it meant sleep time.

no wonder my battery has been draining quicker than avg todayi had auto lock set to 5 mins.

mirzank

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 15, 2008
push notification issue - found something in the logs need help analyzing

xx

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.