PDA

View Full Version : Arghhhhhh. I can wait no longer. New iBook tomorrow? &which mac web wysiwyg software?

stewonder
Nov 16, 2005, 04:52 PM
In Feb of this year i started waiting for an update to the ibook... I sat on my 600 and started checking every rumor site, forum and opinions about apple on a daily basis. I got sick of waiting back then and bought a car with the 600.

I have soildered on since then with a Acer 201DX - Celeron 696mhz with 96mb RAM and cough... winXP.
I never take this out of the house with me.

Have become a man totally obsessed with checking out every mac rumor. I have read all pages on the net that mention the word ibook. Looking for every hint about which direction apple will take.

I now have got together enough cash to buy one. I'm really wanting to buy the 12" tomorrow - but am i making a huge foolish mistake with potential upgrades on the cards in two months time?
I am not worried about the potential revA issues.
I would want a widescreen - and would want a superdrive.
But - a smaller 12" would fit my bag better. But we have a windows DVDRW in a PC in the house (that has never been used to burn a DVD) - i case i ever did need the facility.

Todays ibook does seem to be a quality computer. And i really am sick of waiting. It is like such a relief to know that i am buying tomorrow - but this is tinged with a lot of "but what if they do X in January". Arghhhhhhh. What if...

I realise i need the ibook now. I am a student, but need to be able to also edit websites and do a bit of video editing/arty bideo things.
But should i just wait these last two months. But then what if they don't update in Jan - then i would have a real nervous breakdown.

Stop me if you think i am mad.

Also which software would you recomend a frontpage user could easily get to grips with on a mac. Is there any free software that i could use like front page. WHat facilities are built into OS X for this. Is .mac a wysiwyg editior that i could use to for my own (not mac.com address) sites.

And also sorry for another thread about ibooks - i have read this forum daily for many months and have read so many others on this subject - but i would explode if i did not seek your opinion on my position.

Many thanks and I'kk make sure i tell you what i do...
Ste

TheMonarch
Nov 16, 2005, 04:53 PM
Just get it.

stewonder
Nov 16, 2005, 04:59 PM
Yeah i'm gonna.
How many more OS X's for PPC will there be do you think?

digitalmatty
Nov 16, 2005, 05:06 PM
dreamweaver is good...I prefer it to golive.

stewonder
Nov 16, 2005, 05:09 PM
dreamweaver is good...I prefer it to golive.

Yeah Matt, but they are both a bit too complex for me. Is there anything a bit more user friendly than these two? Can pages edit a html page?

plinkoman
Nov 16, 2005, 05:15 PM
i can sympathize with your situation, i was in the same boat untill a few weeks ago, i had been dying for a powerbook for so long and i finnaly had the money, but just then, rumors started about the updated displays coming in less then a week from then, so i waited (impatiently), and when i came out, i ordered, and despite rumors of updates in january, i'll never look back.

this is an awesome machine; an update to it wont make mine any less of a computer, and in the time everyone else is waiting for the updates to come, following rumor after rumor, dealing with rev. a issues, waiting for intel optimized software etc... i'll be sitting here enjoying my powerbook :)

you won't regret it http://images.zeroforum.com/smile/emthup.gif

Bern
Nov 16, 2005, 05:26 PM
I see tears before bedtime when the Rev A Mactels are released and snatched up by the all too eager.

PPC will be supported for many years to come and at the moment are tried and true, you won't regret your purchase.

cemorris
Nov 16, 2005, 05:27 PM
Yeah Matt, but they are both a bit too complex for me. Is there anything a bit more user friendly than these two? Can pages edit a html page?

Pages can export a document as html, but will not be able to modify a current html page. But also check out rapidweaver. I have it and it is very good and extremly easy to use.

Nermal
Nov 16, 2005, 05:35 PM
How many more OS X's for PPC will there be do you think?

The first PPC Macs came out in 1993 (or was it 94?), and OS 8.1 in 1998 still supported the old 68040. Presumably you'll be looking at a similar timeframe for PPC support, ie. PPC releases until at least 2010.

stewonder
Nov 16, 2005, 05:41 PM
Right, Rapidweaver. Sounds good.

My mind is totally made up. I have to buy it online in Uni to get the edu discount here in the UK so if i order it tomorrow - i'm just getting the basic setup (will add more ram myself) so i should have it on friday!

I not going to bother with office - going to move to iwork. Main reason for switching is sick of Microsoft - their software has had me jumping through hoops for years, like being put through hell. I give it all up to worship the way of Steve Jobs. I also truly believe that everything is going to move online in a few years and that it will not matter what the os is. Anyone who has used google mail will know what i am on about.

I will post details of my switch on this forum.

So excited and yet very nervous (have never used a mac or even an ipod before). I hope it can live up to all the hype you people give it.

I'm off to feel like an expectant father.

stewonder
Nov 16, 2005, 05:42 PM
The first PPC Macs came out in 1993 (or was it 94?), and OS 8.1 in 1998 still supported the old 68040. Presumably you'll be looking at a similar timeframe for PPC support, ie. PPC releases until at least 2010.

Thanks Nermal - it is reassuring. Yet another reason to buy tomorrow.

ITASOR
Nov 16, 2005, 05:47 PM

Try a program called NVU (http://www.nvu.com/). It's really good, and also, really FREE. :)

stewonder
Nov 16, 2005, 05:55 PM
Try a program called NVU (http://www.nvu.com/). It's really good, and also, really FREE. :)

this looks like just what i need. I have added it to the first things to look at on my mac. Mac here i come...

cemorris
Nov 16, 2005, 10:02 PM
I know you are getting your iBook right away. If you can hold out on the iWork for another few months i would. iWork is desperatly needing a spreadsheat application and there might just be an anoucement in MWSF of the next version of iWork.

stewonder
Nov 17, 2005, 11:20 AM
I ordered my ibook 3 hours ago - and now think secret is reporting NEW IBOOKS at MWSF.

I ordered iworks aswell.

This is a living nightmare - do i cancel the order now and wait a month?

Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh:mad:

MacRumorUser
Nov 17, 2005, 11:49 AM
You could try Freeway Express 4 or Pro 4. Both are literally WYSIWYG.

You create your site without worrying about transparancies, layers etc and the program does all the hard work for you.

If you have ever worked with Adobe Photoshop / Illustrator you'll be familiar with it.

No more fecking about with tables and struggling to preserve the transparancy of an object.

GoLive sucks and Dreamweaver restricts creative freedom.

Just my preference :D

gangeli
Nov 17, 2005, 12:18 PM
i feel your pain.

i just received my new ibook yesterday. great little machine.

of course now i'm reading all the rumor stuff from this morning. considering
returning it and waiting 2 months to see what happens.

i hate indecision!

didn't buy the ibook for a "power" notebook, so i don't really care about any speed increases and such.

tempted to wait for intel ibook for: increased battery life, possibility of dual boot osx and xp, and split mouse clicker, cause i need my right click! hehe. slimmer/smaller wouldn't hurt, but this 12' ibook seems pretty small to me all ready.

everything is just heresay and speculation, so who knows how its really going to turn out. :)

Xeem
Nov 17, 2005, 01:22 PM
They aren't going to update iBooks again before they update the Powerbooks. Apple needs a significant performance gap between the two product lines, and the gap is already smaller than it should be.

MacRumorUser
Nov 17, 2005, 01:33 PM
We may have an announcment in January, a clear roadmap maybe, but I really cant see Apple update either the ibook or powerbook till April/May.

Software wont be ready before spring/summer either, and running all your ppc programms via rosetta, means that performance wise the first batch of intel may not offer any significant performance advantage.

Look how long it took some software to move to osX let alone a complete architecture change.

PPC may have had its day, but it will still do the business for a couple of good years, or at least until Rev B of macTel...

PBGPowerbook
Nov 17, 2005, 02:07 PM
nvu is great!

x86isslow
Nov 17, 2005, 02:12 PM
yanno, even if they "release" ibooks in january, by the time they ship em out to you, it'll be mid-march..

stewonder
Nov 17, 2005, 03:03 PM
yanno, even if they "release" ibooks in january, by the time they ship em out to you, it'll be mid-march..

I'll hang onto this thought for the next few years.

I stupidly spelt my email wrong when ordering - all i have is the web order number. They reckon it will be shipped by tomorrow - friday - but today it has still "not been shipped".

I think i just need to use it, then my concerns about newer models will evaporate.

or begin therapy to get over this trauma...

PCMacUser
Nov 17, 2005, 03:04 PM
I bought my iBook a couple of weeks ago and am not at all worried about the prospect of the Intel iBooks coming out in a couple of months. The current model is good enough for what the iBooks are good at - Internet, email, some dabbling with photos, etc.

And if the Intel iBooks are going to use the Celeron M processors, then I wouldn't want one anyway!!

generik
Nov 17, 2005, 03:36 PM
Don't wait, just buy it :D

It is not like the iBs are that expensive to start with, just make sure it means your needs cos they can be rather slow...

stewonder
Nov 17, 2005, 05:27 PM
Don't wait, just buy it :D

It is not like the iBs are that expensive to start with, just make sure it means your needs cos they can be rather slow...

Nooooooooooooo. Dont dis the book. I have got it, just waitin for it.
No nasty comments about my new baby before i've even held it in my arms.
True they are cheap - but i have not got enough money to just buy one willy nilly.

GimmeSlack12
Nov 17, 2005, 05:51 PM
I love my iBook 12", I'm typing on it right now.

Don't worry you'll love it to. And when you get it in your hands you'll have no doubt in your mind you made the right choice. Ok, so just be cool. And wait for it.

Makosuke
Nov 17, 2005, 07:03 PM
Aah, my brother has a 4 year old 600MHz G3 iBook that was a refurb to begin with, and it's still getting things done. If that works ok, a new iBook should serve you well for a while yet.

And yes, something that'll make yours feel oh-so-terribly-inferior will probably come out at MWSF--that's the way it ALWAYS is. Just don't pay any attention to what's new for a while, and you'll be much happier (that's what I do!).

Plus, even if super-fast Intel iBooks did come out then and ship immediately (yeah, right), it'll still be months before anything but a couple of apps are native, so it'd still probably be slower than your PPC one for a while yet. The next, probably next two releases of the MacOS at the minimum will run on PPC (probably more than that even if the available software offerings shrink--remember that Tiger is still supported on Macs that were 6 1/2 years old at the time it was released, and can be forced to run on much older), so I can't imagine a current model being anything but a worthwhile computer until at least the end of the decade.

titangears
Nov 17, 2005, 11:41 PM
I ordered my ibook 3 hours ago - and now think secret is reporting NEW IBOOKS at MWSF.

I ordered iworks aswell.

This is a living nightmare - do i cancel the order now and wait a month?

Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh:mad:

My new 12" iBook was delivered to me two days ago. This afternoon I read the story on ThinkSecret about the new Mactels being released in January.

Here are my thoughts about that.

This new iBook G4 seems to be a very solid machine. It is the latest revision, and probably the final revision of the PPC iBooks. I love it. You will love yours. It is small, lightweight, fast, well designed, and will do everything I want a portable computer to do: email, surf, run some office type apps (I love NeoOfficeJ) and develop software on the road. I'll NOT be playing Doom 3 on it - that is for my desktop PC.

The new Mactels will no doubt be faster in most respects, but they will never be able to keep up with my desktop system. Why? It will always be cheaper for me to upgrade it than to buy a new system of any kind. I'll upgrade my desktop system to an Athlon 64 mobo with PCI-X video sometime next year. That will always be my power system.

Enjoy your new iBook, and be happy it isn't a Rev A.

-John

shadowmoses
Nov 18, 2005, 12:08 AM
If your a student at UNI you can buy it through the special apple store at www.nusonline.co.uk for even cheaper than the edu discount, i think the base 12" comes to about 620, so go for it you won't regret its a great machine,

shadow