Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kappaz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 28, 2008
Can you search a network drive with finder in mavericks, or will it still not work like in mountain lion? I have a synology ds413j and it's frustrating to have to always go to the dsm page and use file station to find a file.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
I never use the Finder to find networked drives ever and I am very old Mac user (since 8.6). In OS X I always used the Finder menu item 'Go', 'connect to Server or command button+k (keyboard shortcut). Then just manually putting in Network drive's IP address via SMB or AFP.

stooovie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2010
I never use the Finder to find networked drives ever and I am very old Mac user (since 8.6). In OS X I always used the Finder menu item 'Go', 'connect to Server or command button+k (keyboard shortcut). Then just manually putting in Network drive's IP address via SMB or AFP.

I think OP is asking about Spotlight.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
Can you search a network drive with finder in mavericks, or will it still not work like in mountain lion? I have a synology ds413j and it's frustrating to have to always go to the dsm page and use file station to find a file.

This might just be an issue of your NAS. I've got a OS X server and Spotlight searches files by name or content on shares just fine. It's very fast and appears like the server itself does the indexing rather than the drive being indexed by client systems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.