Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How is Beta 5 running for you so far?

• Very smooth! Running like a charm!

Votes: 106 56.7%
  • Its OK a little trouble here and there.

Votes: 71 38.0%
  • Unstable.

Votes: 10 5.3%

• Total voters

WhackyNinja

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 6, 2012
Kissimmee, FL
So how is Beta 5 for you all? Is it good? Ok? Bad? Sound off on any praises or complaints you have about this Beta.

Last edited:

seble

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2010
Fine, just wish the horrible grey's would be sorted out on the iPhone 4!

53kyle

macrumors 65816
Mar 27, 2012
Sebastopol, CA
It's awesome on my iPod touch but apple is starting to get rid of eye candy on my iPad 2. The iPad also has lots of new bugs not in earlier betas :(

HarryAinslie

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2011
Doncaster, England, UK
I'm loving beta 5, however this beta is showing the restart screen however not restarting, i was on a phone call and it did it, i couldn't hear the caller, the phone came back on and the caller was still waffling away.

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
for me, beta 4 was not snappy at all. apps would crash, especially camera intensive applications.

in contrast, beta 5 is more snappy, with less memory leaks. it is still more BUGGY however. text messages wouldnt alert. top bar would disappear on the homescreen etc.

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
In our office we are all very pleased with beta 5. The only lasting thing are the apps that crash on iOS 7.

adm58

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2007
Beta 5 is solid on the iPhone 5. Feels like it could be a GM. Very bad on the iPad 3. Beta 5 has been worse than 4 on the iPad.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
exactly adm. The ipad version is a disaster compared to the iphone one for some reason. The poll won't take this into account. I hope that Apple does.

adm58

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2007
exactly adm. The ipad version is a disaster compared to the iphone one for some reason. The poll won't take this into account. I hope that Apple does.

Yeah, it's weird. I've tested the iOS betas extensively ever since version 3.0 (when it was "iPhone OS") and I've never seen such a gap in performance between devices.

Given the fact Apple completely skipped Beta 1 for iPad, and given the current state of Beta 5 on the iPad, I somewhat suspect we could see a staggered release of iOS 7...arriving first on the iPhone, with the iPad release following 2-3 weeks later.

Last edited:

Redcap

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2013
Well i Can't install or upgrade apps

But beta 5 is great*cough* NOT

nickharris1992

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2011
California
I'm loving beta 5, however this beta is showing the restart screen however not restarting, i was on a phone call and it did it, i couldn't hear the caller, the phone came back on and the caller was still waffling away.

This is probably the spring board restarting. it doesn't actually restart the whole phone.

afinch1992

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Is anybody else getting horrible battery life? Maybe I have to do a restore.

did you start from a fresh restore on your first install of an ios7 beta? I've gone from beta 1 to 5 with what seems the most minor of bugs. Started with a fresh restore to beta 1 and OTA updates since.

to answer your question, I have noticed a huge drain with anything like games or cellular intensive tasks. If im on wifi it may drop 3% an hour at most

eXadrian

macrumors newbie
Overall it is fine. But for my iPad 3 it is somewhat a step backward. Performance wise it is about the same as beta 4. But the 5 finger app shutdown bug and the app store download/update bug are really annoying. And the removal of the blurring makes it uglier. But for the rest it works great.

penajmz

macrumors 68040
Sep 11, 2008
New York City
did you start from a fresh restore on your first install of an ios7 beta? I've gone from beta 1 to 5 with what seems the most minor of bugs. Started with a fresh restore to beta 1 and OTA updates since.

to answer your question, I have noticed a huge drain with anything like games or cellular intensive tasks. If im on wifi it may drop 3% an hour at most

Yes I did start fresh on beta 1 and from them on did the OTA updates.

I've only had minor bugs until now, battery seems to be draining way too fast and I'm not even using it heavily.

afinch1992

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
In general. I spent most of the time connected to wifi so I don't think that's it. Sometimes that happens with betas. I will try a restore and hope that will solve my problem.

Ya, I'm sure its some kind of bug that the stars must have aligned for you to get along the way. Restore should fix it; or at least make it better

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.