PDA

View Full Version : Hi... my name is waa1futs... and I'm ashamed to say I used to be a windows RT user

waa1futs
Aug 8, 2013, 12:26 AM
Wow, you ever end up in a ****ed up situation that you don't know how you got there? That was me.

I guess it started because a friend of mine bought an Asus Vivo RT tablet + Keyboard dock from the microsoft store for $400 thinking it was a true Windows 8 machine. He tried to stick with it but after the return period ended he got tired of it and went back to his 6 year old laptop just to avoid Windows RT. I felt bad for my friend because he was never going to use it and it was just going to be a $400 + $50 tax loss. I told him if he likes I'll end up purchasing it from him for $300 flat so he doesn't lose too much. I figured "what the hell right? I'm a college student and windows RT has microsoft office included for free so how bad could it be?"

Oh how I was wrong. So very wrong...

Thank god the Haswell MBA Best Buy deal came. $899 for the newest generation MBA that only came out less than 2 months ago? Sign me up! :D

P.S. this thing is ****ing AMAZING! The only two laptops I've had before this was a slow as molasses Asus EEE netbook and the Asus Vivo RT. Compared to those two the MBA is night and day difference. Truly the best laptop I could ever hope for. Super fast, amazing battery life, beautiful design, great trackpad, nice screen, and vertical integration of both hardware/software from the same company.

I'm in love :o

mtneer
Aug 8, 2013, 01:12 AM
Give us some first hand experiences from using the RT!! What didn't work? What worked, if anything??

waa1futs
Aug 8, 2013, 01:50 AM
Give us some first hand experiences from using the RT!! What didn't work? What worked, if anything??

That's a good question. Lets see...

What I liked:
- I really liked the battery life. With both the Asus Vivo RT + the keyboard dock (which had a battery inside it as well) I was able to get around 16 hours of internet browsing at 50% brightness
- I really liked the IPS display. You could crank up the brightness on that sucker to around 600 nits I believe. Great for outdoor viewing even if it rarely came up.
- I really liked how microsoft office was included for free. Buying office for mac today costed me $119 + tax for my MBA so whatever RT tablet you buy you are basically getting it for $119 less than you paid. So for example, I bought it off my friend for $300 in cash knowing that I'm really only paying $180 for it due to the free office suite included.
- I really liked the thinness and portability. It had a 10 inch display so was even smaller and more portable than the 11 inch macbook air.
- I really like the fact that it had no fan so you never had to worry about noise or a fan breaking in the future.
- I like how you had the option to de-dock it and use it strictly as a tablet if you wanted, yet could easily just dock it right back into the keyboard and have a full laptop again.
- I liked how you didn't have to worry about viruses at all. Microsoft Security Essentials is already built into the framework of windows RT and auto-updates by itself.

What I disliked:
- I didn't like the fact that the LED flash for the back camera never functioned. And not just for me but for ANY Vivo RT owner. It's not like I got a bad one where the LED flash didn't work. Oh no... basically Asus just said "to hell with it" and never ended up giving it the proper software drivers to work.
- I didn't like the fact that the tablet's connection to the keyboard dock seemed kind of flimsy. Whenever you would hook in the tablet to the keyboard dock there would be a small vibration letting you know it was in properly. Well, most of the time you would go to shut the lid it would vibrate, letting me know that it was losing then gaining connection again due to flex.
- I didn't like the fact that you only had 32gb of storage (really only 16gb due to the size of windows RT).
- I didn't like the super tiny keyboard trackpad. Was hard to scroll up and down websites fully with one - two swipes.
- I didn't like how the tegra 3 processor was overmatched by certain websites. Say for example if I go on SBNation for sports news and there's an article with 500 comments (some of which are jpg's or gifs) the thing would slow to an unbearable crawl trying to scroll through them.
- I didn't like how the only gaming emulator available (while it was good) was for the GameBoy Advanced. There was an SNES emulator available but it only ran at 48 frames per second so the timing was off.

What I hated:
- I hated the fact that the only browser you could ever use was internet explorer. On windows RT microsoft will only allow other companies to re-skin internet explorer to make it look different, but you could never have a different engine such as chrome or firefox.
- I hated the fact that internet explorer didn't work properly on some sites. Say for example engadget, you could never have the comments load. Or say for example my college's testing website just wouldn't work. And since its windows RT it's not like you had any other browser you could try.
- I hated the fact that internet explorer didn't have any of the browser extensions I hold dear (such as youtube ratings preview or a proper adblock solution).
- I hated the fact that while using internet explorer I would press the back button and it would start to go back, yet it would then jump back to the page I was trying to get away from. It would constantly do this and was really annoying. Only way to fix it if it was doing this was to clear the cache/cookies/history then close the browser completely.
- I hated the how quiet the speakers were. So quiet that even at max volume I had to cup my hands around the back of the device so the sound would be amplified in my direction to be able to listen to certain youtube videos.
- I hated the fact that I would never EVER have iTunes on my computer to restore my iPhone or get my voice recordings of class lectures off my iPhone to free up space if needed.
- I hated the fact that if I ever got a new iPhone then I wouldn't be able to jailbreak it.
- I hated the fact that there was no community behind windows RT and it sold like crap... because that meant it would be in the companies best interest to drop it and no longer support windows RT as it wasn't a cash cow for them. Or how if there was ever a problem you had like maybe 4 people total on forums you could ask for help from.

There might be more but I'll have to think about it and update this post if there is. And don't get me wrong, I'm not a hater of windows RT by any means. Actually I wish Microsoft would improve it further and that it succeeds to give us another option if needed. And I guess if I had to I could have kept going with the Asus Vivo RT. But I would have been silently gritting my teeth at the above annoyances the entire time. So when the chance comes along to get the newest generation MBA just released less than 2 months ago with a 12 hour battery life for only $899 comes around you just have to jump at the chance am I right?! :D

Seriously cannot believe what a step up in terms of speed and freedom the MBA is compared to my previous machines :eek:

Steve121178
Aug 8, 2013, 07:55 AM
If you bought a tablet running a tablet-centric OS and you are now happy with a MBA then it's clearly your fault for buying the wrong device in the first place.

Maybe research things before going balls-deep next time.

beautifulcoder
Aug 8, 2013, 09:50 AM
Dude, best story I've heard in a while. I hope you would never, ever, ever buy another Windozed machine again.

Your concerns were all valid and I don't think you bought the wrong machine as someone mentioned. Microsoft promised a hybrid, a machine in which you could browse the web and be productive in. There is plenty of evidence of this. However, Microsoft has failed to deliver on every single one of those fronts. I really don't understand why a company would ever feel entitled to plop something like this at innocent consumers. It is like they feel that they are entitled to your money simply because it's Microsoft. It is both sad and despicable.

617aircav
Aug 8, 2013, 12:17 PM
If you bought a tablet running a tablet-centric OS and you are now happy with a MBA then it's clearly your fault for buying the wrong device in the first place.

Good point.

B...
Aug 8, 2013, 03:36 PM
I actually like the Surface. I'll probably buy gen 2.

waa1futs
Aug 8, 2013, 03:55 PM
Dude, best story I've heard in a while. I hope you would never, ever, ever buy another Windozed machine again.

Your concerns were all valid and I don't think you bought the wrong machine as someone mentioned. Microsoft promised a hybrid, a machine in which you could browse the web and be productive in. There is plenty of evidence of this. However, Microsoft has failed to deliver on every single one of those fronts. I really don't understand why a company would ever feel entitled to plop something like this at innocent consumers. It is like they feel that they are entitled to your money simply because it's Microsoft. It is both sad and despicable.

Apple has definitely won me over thanks to their vertical integration of producing both the hardware and software so you know everything will work properly. The MBA is amazing and I plan on keeping this haswell version I bought for a good 5-7 years :)

I actually like the Surface. I'll probably buy gen 2.

Do you mean the RT or Pro version? If you mean the RT then I could see the snapdragon 800 doing wonders compared to the first generation with the Tegra 3. Plus I had a bad experience with an Asus machine so I figure that microsofts vertical integration of both hardware and software would make for a better RT experience.

At first I was going to respond to your comment, but looking through your post history I see a history of snarky/rude comments just like this so I decided it's not worth my time.

Stetrain
Aug 8, 2013, 04:14 PM
This is kind of like someone saying "This $1000-class Windows Ultrabook I just bought can do so much more than the $499 iPad!". They're really different classes of machine.

The real issue I think is Microsoft not being very clear in their marketing what the differences are between Windows RT and Windows 8. The former is a purely tablet-class OS on the level of iOS and Android while the latter is a full desktop/notebook computing OS.

Steve121178
Aug 8, 2013, 05:16 PM

He bought a Surface RT device, pure idiocy. Surface Pro is fantastic.

----------

At first I was going to respond to your comment, but looking through your post history I see a history of snarky/rude comments just like this so I decided it's not worth my time.

So nothing to do wit me hitting the nail square on the head with my comment then?

B...
Aug 8, 2013, 05:27 PM
Apple has definitely won me over thanks to their vertical integration of producing both the hardware and software so you know everything will work properly. The MBA is amazing and I plan on keeping this haswell version I bought for a good 5-7 years :)

Do you mean the RT or Pro version? If you mean the RT then I could see the snapdragon 800 doing wonders compared to the first generation with the Tegra 3. Plus I had a bad experience with an Asus machine so I figure that microsofts vertical integration of both hardware and software would make for a better RT experience.

I mean the Surface RT. The next gen should be (I hope) much more capable. I may even try to use it as my primary machine for awhile.

scaredpoet
Aug 8, 2013, 11:50 PM
The real issue I think is Microsoft not being very clear in their marketing what the differences are between Windows RT and Windows 8.

It's not so much that they aren't clear. It's that they are actively glossing over the difference between the two, if not outright misleading people about the differences and what they should be expecting. Walk into any Microsoft store (I've been to several), and the sales reps there will gladly try to convince you that RT is just as good and as functional as 8. They WANT people to not know the differences and limitations of RT, until after they've plunked down their cash.

GekkePrutser
Aug 10, 2013, 04:31 AM
waa1futs, you should never be ashamed to have used any particular brand of technology product. It's not something that says anything about you.

Different products appeal to different people with different needs. For Windows RT, I can imagine business people being really happy with it. I use my iPad for private/work simultaneously (BYOD) and I've never seen a PowerPoint that actually displayed perfectly on iOS's PPT viewer. Having a full office suite would be a big plus. Side by side apps is a nice touch as well that Apple really could learn from, and so are the Surface's keyboard covers.

I've also played with a Surface recently and I agree it's not a perfect platform, at least not yet. Being unable to install more desktop apps is annoying and it's painfully slow in Office. It's not something I'd buy.. yet. I still prefer my iPad.

However as a first-day iPad adopter I can tell you the iPad also had its faults on day 1. The first iPad I bought didn't even have any kind of multitasking at all. It only improved over time with OS and hardware updates.

I'm sure Microsoft will improve though and even if it's not the best product for you, Apple might learn to appreciate some of the distinctive features of Windows RT and apply them to their own products, thus improving the iPad as well!

Riker88
Aug 10, 2013, 06:02 AM
This is kind of like someone saying "This $1000-class Windows Ultrabook I just bought can do so much more than the $499 iPad!". They're really different classes of machine.

++

The op bought the wrong type of device. Glad he is happy with the MBA but he would have been happy with any device running full Windows also eg Surface Pro or Windows ultrabook going by his list of hates of the RT device. He would not have been able to do the list of things he wanted to either if he had bought an iPad or Android tablet.

beautifulcoder
Aug 12, 2013, 02:13 PM
The op bought the wrong type of device. Glad he is happy with the MBA but he would have been happy with any device running full Windows also eg Surface Pro or Windows ultrabook going by his list of hates of the RT device.

I don't think this is quite accurate. Windows 8 touch enabled devices are hybrids. This is exactly how Microsoft is marketing Windows RT. I agree that the MBA is in another class altogether but Apple is not selling you a middle of the road device full of compromises. Again, Microsoft is making people a promise and failing to deliver.

mattferg
Aug 12, 2013, 03:51 PM

Um wow? You are aware 99% of all the problems he listed for the device were hardware issues, right? Not Microsoft's fault at all, and entirely Asus's.

The only issue he seemed to have software (aka MS) wise was that IE was the only browser he could use, and used some explanation about how Microsoft 'doesn't allow other browsers', which is nonsense. Mozilla and Google refuse to code for RT. They could easily release a browser for it, they just don't because they want base control which allows IE to run slightly faster because it can emulate.

Let's just be clear here, be bought an ASUS VIVO RT, not a Surface RT. Asus failed to deliver, not Microsoft. Please stop being such a troll.

jadAce
Aug 12, 2013, 08:40 PM
OP, glad to read that you're enjoying the MBA 13. I just bought one some time ago (switched from Windows), and the experience has been amazing. Originally, I had planned on buying the Surface Pro (back when I was still with PCs), but Windows 8 didn't seem like an upgrade. That, combined with my past experiences, ultimately made the decision to switch easier. Couldn't be happier now.