Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jeloda1011

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 8, 2013
I'm thinking about buying a used Mac Mini G4 1.5ghz, with 80 gb hard drive for what seems like an incredible deal. I have an old MacBook already but am wanting a second Mac machine solely for Garageband and Itunes. Will this used Mac Mini G4 1.5ghz, 80gb hard drive do the trick? Thanks!!

Omnius

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2012
I'm thinking about buying a used Mac Mini G4 1.5ghz, with 80 gb hard drive for what seems like an incredible deal. I have an old MacBook already but am wanting a second Mac machine solely for Garageband and Itunes. Will this used Mac Mini G4 1.5ghz, 80gb hard drive do the trick? Thanks!!
this is best asked in the power pc forum. They'll probably know more.
What I can say is that if a g4 mini is going for more than 35 dollars, it's expensive. You can buy g4 towers for about 30-40 dollars.

Oujmik

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2012
With a G4 you'll be stuck with a very old OS and GarageBand. If you're on an extreme budget or enjoy the 'retro' PPC experience it could be okay, but you'd probably get more life out of a newer mini. You could pick up a 2009 core 2 duo model from eBay.

Jeloda1011

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 8, 2013
Thanks guys! I have decided against buying the G4 - I think I will hold out for a new model - after more research I believe this to be the best option. Now, if only I can get my MacBook to keep Airport on, I will continue be a happy Mac User....... (yes, I know, discussion for another thread ;) )

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
Just to hammer the point home, that MacMini is seven years old. It can't run an OS later than Leopard 10.5.
80Gb is very small, particularly if you want it for iTunes and Garageband, though it is easy enough to add an external large drive.

I would go for a 2009 model at the earliest. It will have the capacity, capability and compatibility that you need, as well as a reasonable amount of life left in it.

marzer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
Colorado
Isn't that beaten by a Raspberry Pi? Really wonder how the 2 would compare. The Pi runs on 2.5 watt, no way the G4 matches that spec.

I have no experience with that platform, but I do with Macs and Ubuntu. For such a cheap aquisition, I'd enjoy setting up a server with an old G4. As for specs and power efficiency, really not a concern for a such a hobby project.

CausticPuppy

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2012
this is best asked in the power pc forum. They'll probably know more.
What I can say is that if a g4 mini is going for more than 35 dollars, it's expensive. You can buy g4 towers for about 30-40 dollars.

It belongs in a museum!

blanka

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2012
Not iconic enough, yet...

Why not, the Mini is the best industrial design produced by Apple EVER, the current is the BEST COMPUTER EVER, and so, the first is a LEGEND! Does not sell for as much as a Nikon F though..... :mad:

mayuka

macrumors 6502a
Feb 15, 2009
It belongs in a museum!

Does a working Mac belong to a museum?

Jeloda1011, it's very sad that you decided against the G4. Not that the hardware is pretty affordable nowadays, you can also get the music software just for a few bucks! I'm still using a Powerbook G4 1,5 GHz for producing music and live music with Soundtrack Pro, Ableton Live, Traktor and Logic Pro. You don't always need the newest software, when the old software still does work perfectly for your needs. Both the Mac mini G4 and the Powerbook G4 (at least the two last generations) are incredible reliable hardware, which work for me since they were introduced.

A computer which you can put to good use does not belong to a museum. Just my 2 cents.

acer66

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2006
I am still doing my spreadsheets etc. on that mini model.:)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.