PDA

View Full Version : Apple Seeking New Samsung Device Sales Ban in U.S. with Court Appeal

MacRumors
Aug 8, 2013, 09:14 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/08/08/apple-seeking-new-samsung-device-sales-ban-in-u-s-with-court-appeal/)

Bloomberg reports (http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-08-08/apple-turns-tables-seeking-u-s-samsung-phone-sales-ban.html) that Apple this week will ask a U.S. appeals court to forbid sales of specific Samsung mobile devices (http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57500273-37/apple-v-samsung-the-infringing-device-scorecard/) that were found in violation of various Apple patents by a California jury last year. These models include phones such as the Galaxy S2 and the Droid Charge, as well as tablets like the Galaxy Tab, although most of the devices have already been removed from the market by Samsung.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/11/apple_samsung_logos-500x137.jpgThe company will ask a U.S. appeals court tomorrow to block sales of Samsung models a California jury found violated patents for the iPhone's look and features. Later, a U.S. trade agency is expected to say if it will halt some Samsung imports based on other Apple patent-infringement claims.The trial in question initially resulted in a $1 billion verdict (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/08/24/jury-reaches-verdict-in-apple-vs-samsung-trial/) for Apple, although the judge in the case later voided (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/03/01/judge-voids-nearly-half-of-apples-1-billion-judgment-against-samsung-calls-for-new-trial-to-settle-revised-damages/) nearly half of the judgment due to juror error, with that portion of the damages requiring a new trial to be revised.

In the original case, Judge Lucy Koh ruled that while the jury found Apple was entitled to monetary damages, there was no basis for a ban on sales of the infringing Samsung devices. Apple's appeal this week focuses on that decision even as appeals on the jury's verdict remain outstanding.

Article Link: Apple Seeking New Samsung Device Sales Ban in U.S. with Court Appeal (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/08/08/apple-seeking-new-samsung-device-sales-ban-in-u-s-with-court-appeal/)

jan1024188
Aug 8, 2013, 09:17 AM
No veto this time? I wonder why...

MasterHowl
Aug 8, 2013, 09:19 AM
All this "Apple vs. Samsung" stuff is getting really boring now.

Can't MacRumours have another tab in-between the iOS Blog and Roundups buttons at the top of the page to put all this stuff in?

keysofanxiety
Aug 8, 2013, 09:21 AM
Apple, the devices that are infringing the patents are near enough discontinued now. Just draw a line under it and look to the future. They don't need to do these lawsuits as even the outcome would be inconsequential.

Bring on the next iPhone! Sure, if the S3 or the S4 infringed on patents, sue away. But as they haven't ... just forget it? Please? :(

----------

All this "Apple vs. Samsung" stuff is getting really boring now.

Can't MacRumours have another tab in-between the iOS Blog and Roundups buttons at the top of the page to put all this stuff in?

In fairness this wasn't on the front page so it hasn't exactly been shoved in your face ...

Man up.

Surreal
Aug 8, 2013, 09:30 AM

1. 'The ban' is proposed and not set to take effect so what would the president veto?
2. Are the patents standards essential?

ade2bee
Aug 8, 2013, 09:32 AM
I'm sat here with iOS7 running on my device in one hand, along with a Galaxy S3 in the other and a windows phone on the table for comparison, marvelling at the court cases that everyone is going to bring against Apple over some of the OS's simplest features.

Then you have the fact that I believe that the next iPhone will be a 5S, the investment in the 5's casing and Apple's obstinacy won't allow them to bring a new phone out this year, with the new chip going into a mid-term upgrade of the S4.

I dread to think what will happen when the people on the street see what they will perceive as a glorified update to the least most popular iPhone (as in durability and wear and tear) to date

bushido
Aug 8, 2013, 09:33 AM
Lol burnt

Mad Mac Maniac
Aug 8, 2013, 09:39 AM
Stop. Just... stop. Everyone

Rocketman
Aug 8, 2013, 09:43 AM
Why not make a motion to re-impanel the same jury to save time and cost?

Both parties could split a $5k stipend per person and save massive time and money in the process, including for the court itself. Not all motions are accepted but this one likely would be. The jurors would have to agree to it, hence the stipend.

Wayfarer
Aug 8, 2013, 09:59 AM
Here we go again! Hee hee *SNORT* :D

TouchMint.com
Aug 8, 2013, 11:11 AM
Gets let off on one and then goes back on offense.

kas23
Aug 8, 2013, 11:27 AM
I think it's fairly ironic that a ban of Apple products was struck down based on such a ban being counterproductive towards healthy competition, but then Apple turns around and seeks another ban.

fruitpunch.ben
Aug 8, 2013, 11:45 AM
least most popular iPhone (as in durability and wear and tear) to date

Lol. Way to project your own problems with your phone onto the entire world. :rolleyes: Have you seen the sales figures released lately? ;)

cdmoore74
Aug 8, 2013, 11:51 AM
Guess Apple doesn't like the 13% world wide market share number from yesterday. And no matter how many lawsuits Apple brings it does not help. Only a redesigned iPhone (not 5S or 5C) will turn things around. Even LG is coming out with a more powerful Android phone that looks better than the S4. You can't sue everyone. Android is just to big.
If Apple stays on this path more devices will surpass the iPhone brand.

LOLZpersonok
Aug 8, 2013, 11:55 AM
For those who are wondering "just enough!" this is probably a marketing technique. I believe that, by shutting down the competition themselves and making it look bad (by suing for 'infringing' patents) that more people will come to Apple and ditch the competition. That's what I believe, the actual reason could be totally different.

Oh, they also get money if they win.

cdmoore74
Aug 8, 2013, 11:58 AM
I think it's fairly ironic that a ban of Apple products was struck down based on such a ban being counterproductive towards healthy competition, but then Apple turns around and seeks another ban.

Desperate times call for desperate measures. Apple is losing badly to Android and Microsoft is trying to make a comeback. How embarrassing would it be if Microsoft took 2nd place in phone sales? It's bound to happen. Question is when. Apple is played out and is a favorite for the older set.
Apple needs a iPhone 6; not another lawsuit or iPhone 5s/5c.

LOLZpersonok
Aug 8, 2013, 12:04 PM
Lol. Way to project your own problems with your phone onto the entire world. :rolleyes: Have you seen the sales figures released lately? ;)

If this argument is going where I think it's going, then here's my two cents:

It doesn't matter what the sales figures are. If it's got a defect then it's a problem.

I got chipped paint on my iPhone within the first 8 days of having it. Don't know how, but I do. And I don't like it. I know it's only cosmetic, but still. It's kinda disappointing.

----------

Desperate times call for desperate measures. Apple is losing badly to Android and Microsoft is trying to make a comeback. How embarrassing would it be if Microsoft took 2nd place in phone sales? It's bound to happen. Question is when. Apple is played out and is a favorite for the older set.
Apple needs a iPhone 6; not another lawsuit or iPhone 5s/5c.

I think all this hate Microsoft is getting is stupid, just like the amount of lawsuits Apple causes.

I find no real justifiable reason for it. I personally have never had a bad experience with Microsoft.

Plutonius
Aug 8, 2013, 12:05 PM

The veto was for a ban based on FRAND patents.

cdmoore74
Aug 8, 2013, 12:06 PM
For those who are wondering "just enough!" this is probably a marketing technique. I believe that, by shutting down the competition themselves and making it look bad (by suing for 'infringing' patents) that more people will come to Apple and ditch the competition. That's what I belie. , the actual reason could be totally different.

Oh, they also get money if they win.

How are these lawsuits helping? It's been almost a year since Apple won against Samsung and Android numbers are higher than ever while Apple numbers are shrinking. If Apple keeps this up everyone here will be using Android. These lawsuits are a terrible strategy; their not helping Apple hold onto marketshare.

LOLZpersonok
Aug 8, 2013, 12:18 PM
How are these lawsuits helping? It's been almost a year since Apple won against Samsung and Android numbers are higher than ever while Apple numbers are shrinking. If Apple keeps this up everyone here will be using Android. These lawsuits are a terrible strategy; their not helping Apple hold onto marketshare.

Well forgive me for not caring enough about Apple to research this kind of stuff but that was my theory for thought. As I said, "That's what I believe, the actual reason could be totally different".

Schwerpunkt
Aug 8, 2013, 12:47 PM

I know this whole patent thing is a bit complicated, but it would be better if you informed yourself about topics before you comment on them. That way you won't embarrass yourself in future.

----------

Are you even paying attention to the news? Seems that Andriod is leaking users faster than they can recruit new ones. This whole meme that Apple is losing market share is just not true.

----------

just like the amount of lawsuits Apple causes.

Talk about blaming the victim.

pirg
Aug 8, 2013, 05:11 PM

Yeah why aren't they vetoing the non ban? :rolleyes:

macs4nw
Aug 9, 2013, 02:58 AM
If this sales ban is granted, as of now, how many devices will this realistically affect? Just wondering.....

kdarling
Aug 9, 2013, 06:36 AM
If this sales ban is granted, as of now, how many devices will this realistically affect? Just wondering.....

None, but that's not the point.

They want the precedent set, so they can more easily go after current models.

heutusops
Aug 9, 2013, 04:11 PM
they wanna ban devices which are about two and a half years old, wow, why dont you ban the products they released in the 1977?:rolleyes: