PDA

View Full Version : Bestbuy offer!

imjoee
Aug 8, 2013, 10:27 AM
i know this thread has been made plenty of times, but i just want the users who haven't gotten a chance to see those threads, to see this one.

Best Buy is having a sale on the BRAND NEW BASE Macbook Airs.

Reg: $1,099
Discounted -$100

New Price $999

ALSO! (another discount)

If you are one who has a .edu email, you are eligible to sign up for another deductible of ANOTHER $100.

The total price a student/teacher should be paying is $899 BEFORE TAX.

If i were you and interested in this deal i would buy it before AUGUST 10TH because it ends AUGUST 10TH.

(I picked up mine yesterday with this deal and am more than happy with the price i paid, even though it's not 8GB Ram, i plan to save the extra 300$ it cost to upgrade and sell this computer in 2 years)

calvol
Aug 8, 2013, 10:42 AM
Good deal, but what about WiFi and blank-screen issues?

surf808
Aug 8, 2013, 11:06 AM
its a great deal! if you need a code you can get em on ebay

imjoee
Aug 8, 2013, 11:20 AM
Good deal, but what about WiFi and blank-screen issues?

I have no Wifi issues or anything about a blank screen. I've been using it for almost 24 hours.

----------

its a great deal! if you need a code you can get em on ebay

oh, i didn't realize that hah! i actually had a good friend of mine email me the coupon. It was the best deal i saw and without any hesitation i went the next day and bought the MBA. I've been playing the waiting game for about 3 years now and i just couldn't pass up such a deal like this one. Honestly, i never seen anything this low for a new MBA, it's a little scary because it makes me think bestbuy knows that the MBA might get an update very soon? ya never know.

triple-tap
Aug 8, 2013, 11:27 AM
It's a little scary because it makes me think bestbuy knows that the MBA might get an update very soon? ya never know.

I think it may have more to do with sales requirements for apple resellers than anything else. The amound of commission that BestBuy gets from Apple products is VERY VERY VERY tiny to begin with, so it doesn't make a lot of sense for them to run this special unless there is some alterior motive. I'm guessing BestBuy needed to give people a reason to buy Macbooks from them vs. the Apple store. If an apple reseller doesn't sell a certain amount of its stock, apple may penalize the reseller pro-rata for the unsold stock.

The back-to-school promo at apple is a very good offer also. Assuming you would use the gift card, the price difference for a 13" MBA is only $49 more at apple. But without the current BestBuy special offer, it would be $49 MORE money to buy the MBA at BestBuy.

Just my opinion, speculation, educated guess, etc.

imjoee
Aug 8, 2013, 11:30 AM
I think it may have more to do with sales requirements for apple resellers than anything else. The amound of commission that BestBuy gets from Apple products is VERY VERY VERY tiny to begin with, so it doesn't make a lot of sense for them to run this special unless there is some alterior motive. I'm guessing BestBuy needed to give people a reason to buy Macbooks from them vs. the Apple store. If an apple reseller doesn't sell a certain amount of its stock, apple may penalize the reseller pro-rata for the unsold stock.

The back-to-school promo at apple is a very good offer also. Assuming you would use the gift card, the price difference for a 13" MBA is only $49 more at apple. But without the current BestBuy special offer, it would be $49 MORE money to buy the MBA at BestBuy.

You could be absolutely right. I didn't think the apple gift card was tempting due to the fact that i already have a lot of money in itunes cards, just so i can update each OS X software ex. (Mavericks)

triple-tap
Aug 8, 2013, 11:31 AM
Also, i'd bet my entire savings account that BestBuy does not get any "insider" info from apple about new products. Heck, my local BestBuy was selling iPad 3's as the "latest iPad" at Christmas until I heard them say that to a customer and I promptly corrected them in front of 10-15 others waiting at the apple "cage".

imjoee
Aug 8, 2013, 11:47 AM
Also, i'd bet my entire savings account that BestBuy does not get any "insider" info from apple about new products. Heck, my local BestBuy was selling iPad 3's as the "latest iPad" at Christmas until I heard them say that to a customer and I promptly corrected them in front of 10-15 others waiting at the apple "cage".

hmmm. Probably are right. i do remember buying a iMac with them back in '10 and it was a crazy good sale, like 300 or 400$ off, i can't remember though. Then i remember the iMacs getting a new update a week late after i purchased sale.

fabian43
Aug 8, 2013, 02:03 PM

My educated guess about BBY's discounted pricing is it has less to do with any knowledge of upcoming models and more to do with increased revenue. Apple has long been very restrictive about its pricing, not allowing resellers to discount their products yet they've maintained an unequal playing field by offering education discounts. Back to school season is an important time for retailers like BBY. So, if I'm BBY and I'm potentially losing biz to Apple because they are allowed to offer education discounts and we aren't I'd be ticked. My guess is BBY negotiated with Apple to basically offer education pricing without necessarily calling it an education discount. My opinion is both discount offers will run simultaneously. Smart move by BBY IMO

CMCM
Aug 8, 2013, 02:42 PM
I just got the MBA 13" from Best Buy, $899 after their sale and an educational discount ($200 off total). Apple is currently offering a back to school special in which you get a $100 App store gift card with the purchase, so I suspect that instead of giving that gift card, BB chose to give a $100 "sale" discount, which seems to end somewhere around the same time Apple's gift card ends. On top of that, I was able to qualify for an educational discount, which lowered the price another $100. You have to have a .edu email to qualify. I made darn sure they were selling the exact same model build as Apple, and they were. I spoke to BB's Apple person, who claimed to be or have been connected with Apple, and he said he'd encountered zero issues with the wi-fi. These things are flying out the door at these prices, and the day I bought only one store in Sacramento had any MBAs left, so I had to drive across town to pick it up. I myself have had no trouble at all with Wi-fi, everything works perfectly. Love the MBA, and I'm very happy with the discounts I got. Just before school starts is always a good time to buy. At BB I also got an 18 month 0% rate, which is nice and makes the purchase really painless.

fabian43
Aug 8, 2013, 03:14 PM
I'm seriously contemplating picking up that MBA for $899 from BBY but I have some indecision that not upgrading to 8GB ram will haunt me a few years from now. All I do is surf the web, YouTube, Netflix, counter strike, word, iTunes, iPhoto and some aperture, iMovie.

triple-tap
Aug 8, 2013, 03:40 PM
I'm seriously contemplating picking up that MBA for $899 from BBY but I have some indecision that not upgrading to 8GB ram will haunt me a few years from now. All I do is surf the web, YouTube, Netflix, counter strike, word, iTunes, iPhoto and some aperture, iMovie.

For what it is worth, other than using some programs for attorneys record keeping, I do all of the same things you are describing. And I went with the bestbuy deal.

I was trying to see how much I could push before I noticed a difference (other macbook pro has 8 gigs).

I was streaming a movie from couchtuner, a video on cnn, and netflix and I had mail open, and I had safari with 10 tabs open. when I opened another tab, I noticed some slow down, but nothing horrible.

I am not saying that 4 gigs is all that anyone will need (if we had the option at best buy to upgrade, I would have)... but for $899? I can live with it for now. heck, I fully expect to be able to recoup all of my money in a year or two if I really need to upgrade to a higher end macbook air.

fabian43
Aug 8, 2013, 04:40 PM
For what it is worth, other than using some programs for attorneys record keeping, I do all of the same things you are describing. And I went with the bestbuy deal.

I was trying to see how much I could push before I noticed a difference (other macbook pro has 8 gigs).

I was streaming a movie from couchtuner, a video on cnn, and netflix and I had mail open, and I had safari with 10 tabs open. when I opened another tab, I noticed some slow down, but nothing horrible.

I am not saying that 4 gigs is all that anyone will need (if we had the option at best buy to upgrade, I would have)... but for $899? I can live with it for now. heck, I fully expect to be able to recoup all of my money in a year or two if I really need to upgrade to a higher end macbook air.

Good perspective. Thx

imjoee
Aug 8, 2013, 05:03 PM
I just got the MBA 13" from Best Buy, $899 after their sale and an educational discount ($200 off total). Apple is currently offering a back to school special in which you get a $100 App store gift card with the purchase, so I suspect that instead of giving that gift card, BB chose to give a $100 "sale" discount, which seems to end somewhere around the same time Apple's gift card ends. On top of that, I was able to qualify for an educational discount, which lowered the price another $100. You have to have a .edu email to qualify. I made darn sure they were selling the exact same model build as Apple, and they were. I spoke to BB's Apple person, who claimed to be or have been connected with Apple, and he said he'd encountered zero issues with the wi-fi. These things are flying out the door at these prices, and the day I bought only one store in Sacramento had any MBAs left, so I had to drive across town to pick it up. I myself have had no trouble at all with Wi-fi, everything works perfectly. Love the MBA, and I'm very happy with the discounts I got. Just before school starts is always a good time to buy. At BB I also got an 18 month 0% rate, which is nice and makes the purchase really painless.

Im in the same exact position as you. wasnt worried with any issues because i got 200$ off which is huge, because i havent heard of any macbook airs 13" for selling under 900$ brand new too! im happy about my purchase, just wish i couldve gotten a 8gb ram model but hey i can't complain the deal was way to good to pass up.

----------

Trust me for what you are doing, it will be more than what you need. Mavericks is going to come with a RAM reducer if i must say, as in it will free up more space as you use the computer and close apps. just buy the 899 mba, and if you're not happy in a year you can most likely get it for 800-900$.

----------

totally agree with you, ill also upgrade in a year or so, depending if i like the next update in the mba. i know i can easily get 800$ for it in a year or 2