PDA

View Full Version : Active Directory

MonsterRain
Aug 8, 2013, 10:32 AM
Just wondering...I've been thinking of using my Macbook Pro for my business, which allows you to use your own device on their corporate network. I need to be able to see/edit Active Directory. Is this possible on a Mac? If so, how?

I'd rather not use a VM for Windows, if at all possible.

For what it's worth, I'm using the standard Mountain Lion, though I could upgrade to Server edition if that's necessary.

Thanks!

Mr Rabbit
Aug 8, 2013, 12:09 PM
There is an application in /System/Library/Core Services called Directory Utility. Directory Utility allows you to bind your Mac to Active & Open Directories. Once bound to a directory you can view and edit entries in that directory. I've never used AD too much outside of my current job (Mac Admin in a 300+ PC, 140+ Mac environment) so I can't speak to whether or not it's a great tool for creating/editing/deleting entries in AD but I did just confirm that it can do all three of those tasks with our 2007 server.

Typically when I need to access AD I will use our Citrix client, simply because I can pull the same session up on my iPad when I'm running around the office.