PDA

View Full Version : Will a quicksilver video card work in an AGP G5?

Makosuke
Nov 16, 2005, 06:48 PM
The title says it all; as per my other thread, the Radeon 9800 in my G5 (ist gen DP2.0) has apparently flaked out, and I'm wondering if I can pull the GeForce4 MX from my Quicksilver at work (DP1.0, AGP4x) to test it and make sure the slot's ok (plus maybe get my computer running for the evening).

I can't think of any reason the 4x AGP card wouldn't work in the G5's 8x slot, but I thought it safer to ask before I go and break something expensive messing around as I've never actually tried it before.

Anyone done this?

Also, anybody know if Applecare will do a video card exchange if it is just the card that's bad, or am I going to have to drag the whole thing in to get looked at?

bousozoku
Nov 16, 2005, 06:54 PM
I have a G5 AGP card that was modified to work in a G4. It works fine in my Quicksilver but will not power an ADC display because the power contacts are at a different point on the card. I expect it would work the same way going to a G5, if it works at all unmodified. DVI-driven displays will work just fine, though.

Dont Hurt Me
Nov 16, 2005, 06:55 PM
Not without modification they are physically different, Pull out your cards and look at them. sorry

Makosuke
Nov 16, 2005, 09:14 PM
Ok, thanks for the tip. I know what the connector on the 9800 looks like, but I hadn't had a look at the 4mx yet. I always forget about that ADC power connector--I assume that's what's in a different place.

Guess I just wait until the new one from Apple gets here (c'mon, FedEx!). At least there wasn't an issue with advance shipping a replacement to self-install, though I did have to give them a credit card number to make sure I send the old one back.