PDA

View Full Version : How many years do you plan on keeping your Macbook Air?

waa1futs
Aug 8, 2013, 04:53 PM
I purchased mine (haswell base model) with the idea that even if the 12 hour battery life gets worn down over the years it will still have a good 6-8 hour battery life.

I don't upgrade my electronics too often so I plan on keeping mine for at least 5 years, if not 7 if I can.

How many years do you plan on keeping your macbook air for? (please include which year your model is)

ZBoater
Aug 8, 2013, 05:00 PM
3 years. I had a 2011, picked up a 2013. I'm getting the 2016 model. And that is up from a yearly upgrade cycle prior with PCs.

Mike in Kansas
Aug 8, 2013, 05:14 PM
I have a 2008 iMac that I've had for 5 years now, still going strong. I have a 2012 i7/8GB/256GB MBA that my wife uses (and I use on vacation); barring any major malfunction I'd like to get 5 years out of that. And I just purchased a 2013 i7/8GB/512GB MBA for my son heading off to college and would love for him to get through his entire undergrad career with that. Assuming that it continues to perform and doesn't hold him back (or can still run the most recent version of the OS) I see no reason to pick an arbitrary timeframe to upgrade.

Steve121178
Aug 8, 2013, 05:19 PM
I have a mid-2011 MBA. I'll keep it so long as it does what I want it to do and Apple continue to support it by offering me the latest OS.

racoop
Aug 8, 2013, 06:05 PM
Still on my 2010 MBA 11"; no complaints at all. Does everything I need it to just fine :)

Ronnoco
Aug 8, 2013, 06:28 PM
I upgrade about every two or three years and hand them down to my daughter who gets another couple of years out of them...she just LOVES when I get a new computer...LOL

Ahmahzahn
Aug 8, 2013, 06:37 PM
One year for me, re-sale value is too high to not try to turn it around every year. With my military discount and tax free purchase it usually costs me $200-$300 for my yearly upgrade.

maxosx
Aug 8, 2013, 06:44 PM
It's a matter of months, all dependent on Apple. I buy upon release, and replace when the next new rev is ready. I enjoy the first hand experience of "what's new" too much to go any longer.

Other than the occasional Apple product that's so good I simply don't want to upgrade it, or conversely if I know enough about the upcoming model to decide it's of no interest, I replace my Macs, and iOS devices at each refresh.

Fifteen20s
Aug 8, 2013, 07:02 PM
Plan on flipping my base 2013 13in w/ Samsung screen and SSD when the new rMBP comes out

Mochi Hana
Aug 8, 2013, 07:32 PM
Every 2-4 years is when I tend to upgrade my hardware.

SusanK
Aug 8, 2013, 07:40 PM
I keep my Apple products forever. New items are younger sibs:)

rockyroad55
Aug 8, 2013, 09:00 PM
I tend to keep mine for about 2 years. For my needs, a C2D will do just fine, but I have the horrible tendency to want something new every couple years.

Amplelink
Aug 8, 2013, 09:32 PM
I would say 3. I tend to get the itch after that. Just really depends what the advances are. I could get by with a C2D, to be completely honest.

AXs
Aug 8, 2013, 09:59 PM
i'm going to keep it forever, since I don't sell any of my used electronics.

But I plan on using it for only 3 years and my primary work laptop. Tech moves too fast these days.

itsOver9000
Aug 8, 2013, 10:28 PM
2012 13" purchased about 4 months ago. Planning on 3 years, until applecare has run out, and passing it down to a family member.

Mrbobb
Aug 9, 2013, 12:59 AM
I purchased mine (haswell base model) with the idea that even if the 12 hour battery life gets worn down over the years it will still have a good 6-8 hour battery life.

Li-On batteries don't wear "gradually." After 800-1000 charge cycles, their capacity will drop precipitously and unless u don't mind to be on AC all the time, you will have to replace it.

Am going to guess ur next question, how to keep charge cycles low.

Mr Kram
Aug 9, 2013, 01:08 AM
i'm guessing 4-5 years. i still have a 2009 macbook that my kids now use. the MBA is my travel machine which is only used for light tasks, so processing power will probably not be an issue.

M5RahuL
Aug 9, 2013, 01:19 AM
I tend to keep mine for about 2 years. I have the horrible tendency to want something new every couple years.

Likewise !! :apple: :D

flynz4
Aug 9, 2013, 01:38 AM
Depending on how you measure... Either 1 or 5 years.

I buy myself a new machine every year. There are 5 in our family... so someone with the oldest machine get's my 1 year old machine when I upgrade.

/Jim

bradl
Aug 9, 2013, 01:44 AM
Seeing that I still have my Apple IIe in very good condition, and still serves out a great game of Lemonade Stand, Oregon Trail, Zaxxon, and Choplifter, as well as refreshes my memory on Logo and Turtle Graphics, that track record puts me on par with 'until the wheels fall off'.

So I voted as such with my 2011 13" Air.

BL.

gavinstubbs09
Aug 9, 2013, 04:26 AM
Mine will last me through the next 2 years of high school. If I were to go back I think I'd go for a retina MacBook Pro. Next time!

Taskman
Aug 9, 2013, 05:11 AM
This is my first MacBook and I plan to keep it for around 3 year at least.
This is what I id with my last notebook that i had.

Maybe I will keep it even longer as I'm not usually a person who sells things but it happens mainly to friends.

Ifti
Aug 9, 2013, 05:17 AM
For as long as it will possibly last!

teffers
Aug 9, 2013, 07:02 AM
My last Mabook (plastic type from 2006) lasted 7 years until the logic board died so I guess I'll keep it as long as I can

w00tini
Aug 9, 2013, 07:15 AM
I'll keep it until they come out with a retina version.

Razzosinni
Aug 9, 2013, 07:16 AM
Mid - 2013

I think three years is enough. I really don't plan on keeping it longer than that. Even though it's definitely a powerful machine that will last, I like new hardware.

creepynut
Aug 9, 2013, 08:10 AM
Just picked up a 2013 13" w/8gb, coming from a 2009 13" MacBook Pro (160gb+2gb ram, later upgraded to 128gb SSD + 4gb ram).

Hoping for another 4 years with this one.

tann
Aug 9, 2013, 08:53 AM
Depending on how work goes, and how many other new shiny things are released I might either sell my 2013 and buy a 2014 (if they update screen and design) or I will wait 3-4 years.

m98custom1212
Aug 9, 2013, 01:39 PM
One year
Two years Max

I like new electronic toys

calvol
Aug 9, 2013, 01:49 PM
Still have my 2010 13" Air, was going to upgrade to 2013, but seeing too many unresolved issues with WiFi and blank screen, so may wait until 2014, when there probably be a new redesign.

M0V3M3N7
Aug 10, 2013, 08:54 AM
The next mac I get will be a new iMac or pro in a years time - then this baby will just revert to the travelling companion...but I'll hope to keep it for 4-5 years, dont see why not. Its light enough and powerful enough to not need changing in a hurry.

Whorehay
Aug 10, 2013, 02:54 PM
Still have my 2010 11" with gasp.. Core 2 Duo!! as my only computer for the past 3-ish years.

Still works great and the design is timeless. May upgrade mine this year though to an 11" i7 though.. it might be time :)

randomtask
Aug 10, 2013, 04:11 PM
Still have my 2010 11" with gasp.. Core 2 Duo!! as my only computer for the past 3-ish years.

Still works great and the design is timeless. May upgrade mine this year though to an 11" i7 though.. it might be time :)

I just upgraded my 2010 11" maxed to a 2013 11" maxed.

Couldn't give away/sell the 2010. Been through too much with me! Just an amazing machine.

I just plan to keep stacking 11" macbook air's every 3 years until they stop making them.

tsubikiddo
Aug 10, 2013, 05:13 PM
Late 2008 rev. B showing its age but definitely going strong
Surely it can't handle 1080p video playback, but plenty enough for daily internet, email and fb

Good one :apple:!

Innovative Mac
Aug 10, 2013, 05:15 PM
3 years

philipkroberts
Aug 10, 2013, 05:32 PM
I chose 1 for a simple reason, I'm new to mac and don't know if I will find it better than Windows as I have used the doze since 3.1! I have always had iPhones (Currently got the iPhone 4 (GSM)) and also have an iPad mini Wifi (Jailbroken IOS 6.1.3)

If all is good then I plan on keeping 2 years max, I often drop things etc so it's ll down to how well it handles after a few bumps ;)

Suraj R.
Aug 10, 2013, 10:39 PM
It all depends on what comes out. I love my new Air and it does everything I need it to, but if something that I seem to like better for whatever reason comes out in say October along the lines of MBPs (which I doubt would pull me in) then I could sell my i5/8/128 for less than $100 loss (pretty close to none). If something that attracts me comes next year in the form of an Air, then I may sell this for around $300 loss and get that.

But next year's model will probably be redesigned, with that follows the bugs of a Rev A product.

I wouldn't at all mind keeping my Air for another 3 years until I go to university and continue to use it as a portable machine along side another Mac (depending on what's available then). I use the Air as a desktop when I'm at my desk and a laptop when I feel like lying down, its really nice.

Whorehay
Aug 11, 2013, 01:11 AM
I just upgraded my 2010 11" maxed to a 2013 11" maxed.

Couldn't give away/sell the 2010. Been through too much with me! Just an amazing machine.

I just plan to keep stacking 11" macbook air's every 3 years until they stop making them.

Oh man, it'd be tough for me to sell it, but if I got another 11" I probably would at least try.

I was debating for the longest time if I should just keep the 2010 Air and just get an iMac or Mac mini of some sort, but this form factor as my only computer (+external monitor at home) is unbeatable.

beautifulcoder
Aug 11, 2013, 09:27 AM
6 years

I had a terrible track record with PCs and have tried anything from Compaq to Lenovo.

davideotape
Aug 11, 2013, 09:34 AM
the air hopefully 6-7 years. bought this thing to do pretty light computing (word processing, video mixing, email, spotify, etc) that i would hope it can handle for a very long time.

the macbook pro is another story and probably 3 years.

Urindanger
Aug 11, 2013, 11:39 AM
One year. I hope for a redesign next year :)

AXs
Aug 11, 2013, 01:18 PM
One year. I hope for a redesign next year :)

We will most definitely get a better screen next year. If brodwell is ready next year, we will likely see a small change. Like maybe an hdmi port, TB 2...

I dont see what else they can really do with the Air. It's already thin to the point where it can't be any thinner... even with the 14nm chips.

It's gotta be durable as well. That, and the fact that it's still gotta be thick enough for usb and TB.

Maybe the touchpad will be more advanced? And maybe the 13" will go 16:9 to support new display which will change the length and width of Air a little.

Can't change much else imo.

Drew017
Aug 11, 2013, 01:25 PM
Mine is the 2013 baseline 13 inch model... I plan on keeping it as long as I can ;)

nabwong
Aug 11, 2013, 01:31 PM
I never sell computers. The risk of information stolen is not worth the $$$ to me. But I typically use the computer for 4 years.

robvas
Aug 11, 2013, 02:05 PM
I never sell computers. The risk of information stolen is not worth the $$$ to me. But I typically use the computer for 4 years.

You can secure erase the HD with Disk Utility before you sell.

ValSalva
Aug 11, 2013, 02:32 PM
I have a 2010 11" MBA that's still going strong. I'll use it until it fails. It seemed like a toy when I first unboxed it. I could practically see through the screen if it was very bright behind it. I didn't think it was built to last. I was wrong.

jadAce
Aug 11, 2013, 05:05 PM
Hope the 2013 upgraded model I have lasts for a good 3+ years. It was relatively expensive (for a new Mac user like me), but I am sure Macs are reliable and can last longer than the average PCs.

617aircav
Aug 11, 2013, 08:34 PM
Hope the 2013 upgraded model I have lasts for a good 3+ years. It was relatively expensive (for a new Mac user like me), but I am sure Macs are reliable and can last longer than the average PCs.

False.

jadAce
Aug 11, 2013, 10:08 PM
False.

No offense. I was speaking from personal experience. Most of my PCs have lasted ~2-3 years, but I still see people carrying PowerBooks and 2008/2009 MacBooks running amazingly fast.

mac00l
Aug 12, 2013, 12:03 AM
No offense. I was speaking from personal experience. Most of my PCs have lasted ~2-3 years, but I still see people carrying PowerBooks and 2008/2009 MacBooks running amazingly fast.

Yep.

I got an 2011 MBP running as strong as day 1, and I expect it to keep up at least a couple more.

I just got a MBA, and I expect it to be running for at least 5 years.

Macneck
Aug 12, 2013, 12:25 AM
Many years if it meet my expectations, as has always happened with my pc laptops. If not, just a few month.

By the time it starts not being able to keep the pace, I may still use it as a secondary machine, install an old ubuntu or something

HappyInCalgary
Aug 12, 2013, 03:50 PM
I have a 2011 13" base Macbook Air. I plan to use this survey as a guide to how long I should keep my Mac. Based on results so far, I have one more year to go! :D
But seriously, as long as I can keep it would be my answer. And so far, it has rivaled all the PC's I have used previously.

jdechko
Aug 13, 2013, 10:33 AM
I plan on passing my 2013 11/i5/4/128 down to my kids in about 3-4 years.

jadAce
Aug 14, 2013, 01:26 AM
Is anyone planning on using theirs as their only/primary computer? How long do you think it would last then?

Poly
Aug 14, 2013, 03:04 AM
Got my mid2011 13" in december2011 and i will keep it until the wheels fall off or until the newest OS is no longer supported for my MBA. Whatever comes first.

And this is my main computer! I use it that long/frequently each day, that i have to load the battery every 24-48hours.

ARSkemp
Aug 14, 2013, 01:08 PM
Its been just over 2 years and I am still perfectly happy with the performance of my Macbook Air (2011 model).

Right now I do not see any reason to upgrade. Although battery life is much better, I am around an outlet enough to not worry too much. The one thing that would probably make me switch is if they can decrease the bezel around the screen without reducing the structural integrity. If they could fit a 13" screen in the 11" model (or maybe slightly larger than the 11" model) I would be all over it in a heartbeat. Retina would be nice but not a must have for me.

I probably expect to realistically upgrade in another 2 years. Maybe then I will see a dramatic difference in performance (this is the first laptop I have used with an SSD, and if it still looks exactly the same I don't plan on changing computers until there is a performance difference similar to the jump from platter based hard drives to solid state).

triple-tap
Aug 14, 2013, 01:55 PM
Just passed my 2006 white macbook down to me little brother. Bought it new from Apple in high school. The thing is still kicking strong (other than getting a new battery. Been to Europe in a messenger bag, beaten to death while in college, and more. SOOOOOO happy it lasted this long. After picking up a 2013 MBA 13", I have no need for it. My little brother can use it for high school.

If my new MBA lasts that long, I will be thrilled. Now that I am a "grown-up" professional, I will likely upgrade in 4-5 years though.

jadAce
Aug 14, 2013, 04:05 PM
Its been just over 2 years and I am still perfectly happy with the performance of my Macbook Air (2011 model).

Right now I do not see any reason to upgrade. Although battery life is much better, I am around an outlet enough to not worry too much. The one thing that would probably make me switch is if they can decrease the bezel around the screen without reducing the structural integrity. If they could fit a 13" screen in the 11" model (or maybe slightly larger than the 11" model) I would be all over it in a heartbeat. Retina would be nice but not a must have for me.

I probably expect to realistically upgrade in another 2 years. Maybe then I will see a dramatic difference in performance (this is the first laptop I have used with an SSD, and if it still looks exactly the same I don't plan on changing computers until there is a performance difference similar to the jump from platter based hard drives to solid state).

That sounds like a great idea - thinner bezels would be awesome. I wonder if it would decrease the weight of the MBA too, if the bezel weighs more than the screen.

How is the 11" screen working out for you in terms of long-term use?

FuNGi
Aug 15, 2013, 08:02 AM
I'm still using my 4GB/128GB/2010/13" and it works just fine. Does everything I need it to except store all my pics and music. Dang 128 GB. I'll replace it when it dies with a 2013 refurb with 512 GB storage and 8 GB ram. It even survived a beer spill on the logic board.

twintin
Aug 15, 2013, 08:26 AM
I'll keep mine until it breaks, exactly as my previous laptop, which was an Acer Windows machine (took 9 years for it to break).

sflomenb
Aug 15, 2013, 08:32 AM
I'm a freshmen entering college, and I'm keeping my MacBook Air at least until after I graduate. So four years minimum.

bwsteg
Aug 15, 2013, 08:35 AM
Just bought my first MBA 13" yesterday. Planning on keeping it for a couple of years, then upgrading...Currently looking to buy an imac but am holding out to see what happens in Oct/Nov.

M5RahuL
Aug 15, 2013, 11:17 AM
My Dell [ yes Dell !! :p ] XPS 1210m Laptop [ 12" screen ] lasted about ....well it's still going! lol... Bought it in 2006.

Normally, I upgrade every 2-4 years, but this time once the Retina [if] MBA comes out, I'm going for it, be it 1/2/3 years... I voted 2 years on the poll though. Intel's tick-tock cycle doesn't really dictate my decision.

ARSkemp
Aug 15, 2013, 11:40 AM
That sounds like a great idea - thinner bezels would be awesome. I wonder if it would decrease the weight of the MBA too, if the bezel weighs more than the screen.

How is the 11" screen working out for you in terms of long-term use?

I'm actually using the 13" model.

silvershamrock
Aug 15, 2013, 01:02 PM
Seeing that I still have my Apple IIe in very good condition, and still serves out a great game of Lemonade Stand, Oregon Trail, Zaxxon, and Choplifter, as well as refreshes my memory on Logo and Turtle Graphics, that track record puts me on par with 'until the wheels fall off'.

Well that beats my old LC 475 (which also still works...) :D

I don't plan to upgrade my 2012 MBA until the battery finally gives out. (I might give it one replacement battery; it depends on what the current model looks like by then.) I'll probably still keep this one around though.

27imac
Aug 15, 2013, 02:29 PM
I have a 27 inch iMac late 2009 model that's still running strong apple had a recall on the harddrive I went there and got it change but my harddrive was find they just say that it could crash anytime I love my computer use it for a lot of things best 2000 I ever spent lol