PDA

View Full Version : Airplay gets laggy.. any solutions?

MaxPower49
Aug 8, 2013, 08:49 PM
I have a 13" 2012 MBP (core i5, 2.5ghz, 8gb ram). When I try to airplay (screen mirror full screen streaming videos), it plays mostly fine, but it will get a little bit laggy every few minutes. I dont even know if it technically "drop" frames, but it will freeze for 1-2 seconds, and then play really fast for the next second to catch up. Audio works fine.

Any idea how I can fix this? Is it a problem with the Mac's processing power or possibly my router or network settings? I MBP is wireless, ATV is wired.

Thanks.

priitv8
Aug 9, 2013, 01:03 PM
Is there any particular reason you stream via AirPlay Mirroring, instead of just AirPlaying it?

MaxPower49
Aug 10, 2013, 08:12 AM
Can you AirPlay any streaming video? i.e. from Amazon or Vdio or NFL?

Gav2k
Aug 10, 2013, 08:34 AM
Wireless is your issue here. You need a good stable connection to achieve what your after.

waw74
Aug 11, 2013, 10:49 AM
wireless can work, but you need a fast stable connection. definitely N, probably 5GHz, and with the base station in the same room.

alt-click the wifi icon in your menu bar, what does the "transmit rate" say? ideally you want to be at or above 100. (the aTV has a 100Mb port), but higher is better, unless the file is local on your machine, it's using part of that value.

FreakinEurekan
Aug 11, 2013, 11:02 AM
Can you AirPlay any streaming video? i.e. from Amazon or Vdio or NFL?

Nope, at least not Amazon (don't use Vdio or NFL). Mirroring or 3rd party (AirParrot) are the only options.

I presume the lag you're seeing is only on the ATV end, i.e. it is still playing fine on the MBP? If so then the wifi is likely to blame. If it's freezing up on the MBP then it's nothing to do with AirPlay, it's Internet bandwidth.

waw74
Aug 11, 2013, 02:46 PM
it's nothing to do with AirPlay, it's Internet bandwidth.

no, it's network bandwidth (LAN).

the speed of your network has nothing to do with you internet bandwitdh. (the speed you're paying your ISP for)

Mrbobb
Aug 11, 2013, 07:54 PM
Next WIFI router purchase: Be sure it comes with QOS.

NewbieCanada
Aug 11, 2013, 08:01 PM
This is improved under Mavericks (which doesn't help you now)

Instead of mirroring, you set the ATV as a second monitor and run your videos on it. I've found some compression artifacts, but no lag.

iHaddock
Aug 12, 2013, 12:08 AM
Try changing the channel - I had an issue streaming to an Airport express from itunes, with stuttering...

I selected diffrent channels via Airport utility (on the airport extreme) and everything was fixed.

HTH

FreakinEurekan
Aug 12, 2013, 08:10 AM
no, it's network bandwidth (LAN).

the speed of your network has nothing to do with you internet bandwitdh. (the speed you're paying your ISP for)

Did you read the entire paragraph? If the lag is visible on the MBP, then it IS the Internet bandwidth causing the issue (he's streaming video from the Internet).