PDA

View Full Version : 'Rise Alarm Clock' for iOS Named Apple's Free App of the Week

MacRumors
Aug 9, 2013, 08:53 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/08/09/rise-alarm-clock-for-ios-named-apples-free-app-of-the-week/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/08/rise_alarm_clock_icon.jpgRise, an alarm clock app optimized for both the iPhone and iPad, has been named Apple's App of the Week and can now be downloaded for free. The app distinguishes itself from the stock Clock app found on iOS in that it allows for the user to set alarms with dragging gestures and also features the ability to set alarms with individual audio from a device's library or an iTunes playlist.

The app also features interchangeable themes for its user interface and integration with the "Do Not Disturb" feature in iOS. Previously, the app made Apple's "Featured Apps" list, and was the best seller in the Utilities category in the App Store.

Rise is a delightfully simple and unique alarm clock, for your iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch. With its refreshing and clever way to set time, Rise is one of the simplest alarm clocks you'll ever use. Rise (http://appshopper.com/utilities/rise-alarm-clock) is a universal app regularly priced at $1.99 that can be downloaded from the App Store for free until next Thursday. [Direct Link (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id577221529?mt=8)]

Article Link: 'Rise Alarm Clock' for iOS Named Apple's Free App of the Week (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/08/09/rise-alarm-clock-for-ios-named-apples-free-app-of-the-week/)

keysofanxiety
Aug 9, 2013, 08:55 AM
I've got a 'Rise Alarm Clock' of my own. Like this app, it's free -- unfortunately you can't set the times it'll go off. :( ;)

GoCubsGo
Aug 9, 2013, 08:59 AM
I've got a 'Rise Alarm Clock' of my own. Like this app, it's free -- unfortunately you can't set the times it'll go off. :( ;)

Well that took me two reads to get that. ;)

I downloaded it. It's nice but I never saw the need for a different alarm app. I may use it just for kicks though.

SJism23
Aug 9, 2013, 09:06 AM
I really like the app. I bought it a few months ago and it's really easy to use. The sounds are much better than the ones in the Clock app.

JackieInCo
Aug 9, 2013, 09:08 AM
Well that took me two reads to get that. ;)

I downloaded it. It's nice but I never saw the need for a different alarm app. I may use it just for kicks though.

And nothing beats simply telling SIRI to set my alarm for 8AM.

Gymgenius
Aug 9, 2013, 09:20 AM
You can set the stock alarm to any song in your music library.

BJMRamage
Aug 9, 2013, 09:22 AM
I got Solar a few weeks back...looking at it and Clear and found Rise.

I almost purchased it but held off...and now I got it free (last night) I set the Alarm and you should be able to simply shake it or swipe it to turn off but I had to unlock it and then do that.

still a nice crescendo Alarm!

prowlmedia
Aug 9, 2013, 09:32 AM
The problem with these alarms is you need them to be focused and on... which is stupid - hopefully this is something that Apple are sorting out in ios7

avanpelt
Aug 9, 2013, 09:34 AM
Rise looks great, but the reviews are sprinkled with several people saying the alarm doesn't go off consistently. I also watched a review on the app on TWiT's iPad Today show just yesterday and during the live review, the app became unresponsive while the reviewer was trying to interact with it.

I think I'll pass on this app. The stock alarm clock works just fine.

Sardonick007
Aug 9, 2013, 09:49 AM
Because FREE, that's why.

GoCubsGo
Aug 9, 2013, 09:54 AM
The problem with these alarms is you need them to be focused and on... which is stupid - hopefully this is something that Apple are sorting out in ios7

What do you mean?

E.Lizardo
Aug 9, 2013, 10:00 AM

I've got that one too.It's made of wood.

JackieInCo
Aug 9, 2013, 10:02 AM
What do you mean?

The app has to be open and running. It can't be minimized since the phone/iPad doesn't have true multitasking. If you minimize that app and open something else, it won't work.

keysofanxiety
Aug 9, 2013, 10:11 AM
I've got that one too.It's made of wood.

I'm sorry to hear that. My Grandfather developed a similar problem after getting wounded in 'Nam.

jonnysods
Aug 9, 2013, 10:28 AM
Looks really slick, I wish they had it for android too

SockRolid
Aug 9, 2013, 10:32 AM
The app distinguishes itself from the stock Clock app found on iOS in that it allows for the user to set alarms with dragging gestures and also features the ability to set alarms with individual audio from a device’s library or an iTunes playlist.

Not sure if I'm parsing the above sentence correctly, but the stock Apple Clock has a "Pick a Song" feature for alarms.

Kilamite
Aug 9, 2013, 10:33 AM
The app has to be open and running. It can't be minimized since the phone/iPad doesn't have true multitasking. If you minimize that app and open something else, it won't work.

It does for me. What you on about?

PatrickCocoa
Aug 9, 2013, 10:48 AM

It does for me. What you on about?

JackieInCo is a half Nexus / half Apple person. Check out his/her posting history - doesn't appear to be an astroturfer, but keeps mentioning a "Nexus 7", whatever that is. Anyway, it's possible the "doesn't have true multitasking" is a meme that's popular over in Nexus-land, and so that may explain his/her incorrect view of iOS multitasking in general, and of Rise's capabilities in particular.

JackieInCo
Aug 9, 2013, 10:53 AM
JackieInCo is a half Nexus / half Apple person. Check out his/her posting history - doesn't appear to be an astroturfer, but keeps mentioning a "Nexus 7", whatever that is. Anyway, it's possible the "doesn't have true multitasking" is a meme that's popular over in Nexus-land, and so that may explain his/her incorrect view of iOS multitasking in general, and of Rise's capabilities in particular.

Try it. If I set the app on my iPad and then close it, the app will not work when it is time for the alarm to go off. The app has to be open and running. The only apps that can run in the background are Apples built in apps.

----------

Read the reviews here and you will see what I am talking about

http://www.imore.com/rise-alarm-clock-iphone-and-ipad-review

If you forget to open the app before bed and leave it open, it won't wake you up.

GoCubsGo
Aug 9, 2013, 10:55 AM

You know what? You're right.

I set the alarm and did exactly what I do every night; turned on DND and turned it on vibrate.

The alarm went off but it was silent. I had 3 notifications on screen saying I needed to rise and shine, no tones. That does me no good.

Next, turned off DND and left it on vibrate. Alarm went off, no sound & not vibrate, notifications okay, and again, useless.

Finally, left DND off, left the sound on. Nothing. Just an on-screen notification.

This app is useless as long as it requires the phone to be unlocked (on) and not set to DND.

I deleted it.

Northgrove
Aug 9, 2013, 10:56 AM
One link to "Rise" which goes to AppShopper, then a "direct link" which goes to iTunes...

Here is the app's website if you're curious: http://www.simplebots.co/

JackieInCo
Aug 9, 2013, 10:57 AM
You know what? You're right.

I set the alarm and did exactly what I do every night; turned on DND and turned it on vibrate.

The alarm went off but it was silent. I had 3 notifications on screen saying I needed to rise and shine, no tones. That does me no good.

Next, turned off DND and left it on vibrate. Alarm went off, no sound & not vibrate, notifications okay, and again, useless.

Finally, left DND off, left the sound on. Nothing. Just an on-screen notification.

This app is useless as long as it requires the phone to be unlocked (on) and not set to DND.

I deleted it.
Thank you for backing me up by trying it. There will be many many people upset who relied on this app to wake them up and it will fail because they forget to open it and leave it running over night.

Brian Buttplug
Aug 9, 2013, 10:58 AM
And nothing beats simply telling SIRI to set my alarm for 8AM.

Hah! Nothing beats getting my wifes elbow in the ribs at 6AM while she yell:

Get up, you lazy bum! :D

-Brian

JackieInCo
Aug 9, 2013, 11:07 AM

I've used iPhones since the original in 2007. This has always been a problem with iPhones/iPads because of Apples restrictions and what they like to call "multitasking" but really isn't. When apps are minimized such as what happens when you open another app, the previous app no longer runs and music streaming apps don not count in this. So this means that if you have an alarm set using Rise, and go on doing other things with your iPhone/iPad and the go to sleep without opening the Rise app and leaving it running, it won't wake you up in the morning. Also, Do Not Disturb will prevent it from sounding off as well. You will have to turn off Do Not Disturb and put up with all the phones sounds during the night.

That's Apples restrictions for you.

A Nexus 7 is a tablet running Android OS.

Supa_Fly
Aug 9, 2013, 11:35 AM

LMAO! Well done.

On a serious note ... I think this sort of app is something that ads the uniqueness to the platform and should be built into iOS! I wish Apple would take not of such applications, buy out the company's ... handsomely and incorporate them into the OS.

PS: does iO7 allow you to collapse mail sub-folders/folders yet? At the moment I'm not sure if any current/modern smartphone OS does.

ArtOfWarfare
Aug 9, 2013, 01:02 PM
Thank you for backing me up by trying it. There will be many many people upset who relied on this app to wake them up and it will fail because they forget to open it and leave it running over night.

This bug is unique to the app, then. I use Alarm Clock Pro and, though it has some visual bugs (elements sometimes overlap each other), it never has an issue with making noise. It'll even sound off in the background.

As a developer, the multitasking APIs in iOS 7 leave me wondering what more you could possibly want, other than having two apps usable and on screen at the same time. iOS 6, and I think 5, too, had adequate APIs for simply making sounds without the app being visible.

JackieInCo
Aug 9, 2013, 01:05 PM
This bug is unique to the app, then. I use Alarm Clock Pro and, though it has some visual bugs (elements sometimes overlap each other), it never has an issue with making noise. It'll even sound off in the background.

It's not a bug in the app. During the demo that was on the iPad Today show (Leo Laporte) Sarah got the warning that the app must be open and running for the alarms to work.

Kilamite
Aug 9, 2013, 01:12 PM
It's not a bug in the app. During the demo that was on the iPad Today show (Leo Laporte) Sarah got the warning that the app must be open and running for the alarms to work.

Well I've set the alarm, then opened up another application and locked my phone. The alarm still went off, with snooze option from lock screen.

What model of iPhone do you use?

JackieInCo
Aug 9, 2013, 01:14 PM
Well I've set the alarm, then opened up another application and locked my phone. The alarm still went off, with snooze option from lock screen.

I don't have the app because it's worthless to me. There are reviews all over the internet over the past two days talking about this very thing. I posted a link above that has comments from people who have experienced this.

Set an alarm for two hours from now. Close the app and exit from it by removing it from the task bar. Open another app and let it sit for those two hours and turn on do not disturb as well. See what happens.

JackieInCo
Aug 9, 2013, 01:26 PM
Ok, downloaded this onto my iPad. Set the alarm for 12:25 which was just a minute ago, exited out of the app and removed the app from the task bar or recently used apps whatever you want to call it.
Do Not Disturb was not even on.

No alarm went off. This is a limitation in the way the OS doesn't allow true multitasking just as I said a few posts up.

GoCubsGo
Aug 9, 2013, 01:28 PM

That did not happen at all to me. iPhone 4S running iOS 7 beta 5.

This app, while opened, was scheduled to go off 5 minutes later. I locked my screen, nothing. I got notifications on screen but no noise. Turned off and on DND, turned off and on vibrate, etc. Nothing.

JackieInCo
Aug 9, 2013, 01:30 PM
That did not happen at all to me. iPhone 4S running iOS 7 beta 5.

This app, while opened, was scheduled to go off 5 minutes later. I locked my screen, nothing. I got notifications on screen but no noise. Turned off and on DND, turned off and on vibrate, etc. Nothing.

That's right. It's the way the OS does not allow apps to continue running after they are closed. The app has to be open and running for the alarm to work.

Rajani Isa
Aug 9, 2013, 01:36 PM
Doesn't closing it from the task bar kill pretty much any multi-tasking abilities (other than push)? So that's a very poor way to go "See! It doesn't work!"

JackieInCo
Aug 9, 2013, 01:40 PM
Doesn't closing it from the task bar kill pretty much any multi-tasking abilities (other than push)? So that's a very poor way to go "See! It doesn't work!"

No, it proves that the app is useless unless you have it running overnight.

The app would quit running on its own if it is closed anyways so having it in the task bar is pointless as well. Remember how they said that those apps quit working after awhile anyways?

ArtOfWarfare
Aug 9, 2013, 01:44 PM
No, it proves that the app is useless unless you have it running overnight.

The app would quit running on its own if it is closed anyways so having it in the task bar is pointless as well. Remember how they said that those apps quit working after awhile anyways?

As a developer, I'm telling you that's a bug in the app, not iOS. iOS allows many lightweight tasks to take place in the background, amongst them, making noise at a scheduled time. If it's failing to make the noise, it's because iOS sees it trying to run code that's disallowed in the background and is killing the task.

JackieInCo
Aug 9, 2013, 01:47 PM
Ok tried it again, this time setting the alarm and pressing the home button to minimize the app. Left it running in the task bar and pressed the sleep button and at 12:45, no alarm sounded.

Kilamite
Aug 9, 2013, 01:47 PM

I didn't realise that's what they meant by 'closing' the app - I thought they meant that closing the app by just pressing home, not actually quitting it completely.

I don't see what they are complaining about - bunch of folk being anal about having to have every app quit completely.

Cartoonkid
Aug 9, 2013, 01:50 PM
For starters, you can only add ONE song from your music library to the alarm list. If you try to add another, it replaces the one you already had.

Strike one.

Next, alarm and snooze intervals can only be set in 5 minute increments...i.e. 10:05, 10:10, etc., or snooze for 5 minutes, 10 minutes, etc. While this would not cause me to be late for anything, why so limited? My other alarm apps let me set things to the minute.

Strike two.

Set the alarm, confirmed my song was the chosen alarm sound, and it even played the song, despite me having the sound turned off on the phone. Turned on "vibrate with alarm" option. Exited the app and locked the screen. The alarm went "off" when it was supposed to, but all I got were pop ups on the lock screen in 30ish second intervals, and one quick vibration with each, as if an email had come in. No music played and no extended vibrations. Other alarm apps will still fire the alarm even if the app isn't kept open, and even if sound is turned off on my phone (though they may not play my song, just one of the stock alarm noises).

Strike three...deleted app.

JackieInCo
Aug 9, 2013, 01:54 PM
I didn't realise that's what they meant by 'closing' the app - I thought they meant that closing the app by just pressing home, not actually quitting it completely.

I don't see what they are complaining about - bunch of folk being anal about having to have every app quit completely.

I exited out of the app and left it running in the task bar and it still didn't work. There are going to be lots of people late for work on Monday morning who think this will work. They are thinking they can set it now and use their device all weekend and go to sleep Sunday night and wake up Monday without having the app running. This is why it's a fail? What's hard to understand about it?

Rajani Isa
Aug 9, 2013, 02:13 PM
Iphone 5 with 6.1.2 and while jail-broken, currently don't have any tweaks on it.

Opened Rise, set the alarm, home-buttoned out, opened several apps, and hit sleep and set my phone down.

it went off on time, and after hitting snooze, and the snooze worked too.

EDIT: I did see a note about it needing to be left running, but apparently that only applies if you run Do not Disturb.

Kilamite
Aug 9, 2013, 02:30 PM
I exited out of the app and left it running in the task bar and it still didn't work. There are going to be lots of people late for work on Monday morning who think this will work. They are thinking they can set it now and use their device all weekend and go to sleep Sunday night and wake up Monday without having the app running. This is why it's a fail? What's hard to understand about it?

It's clearly only affecting some people because it is working fine for me if I close the app but leave it running in the task bar.

I'm on an iPhone 5.

Henk Poley
Aug 9, 2013, 02:38 PM
Try the Sleepcycle or Sleepbot apps. They slightly tweak the wakeup time based on your sleep cycle pattern. You'll wakeup easier.

GoCubsGo
Aug 9, 2013, 03:19 PM
In short, DND should never prevent an alarm from triggering. I am fine with the lowly little stock alarm.

Virtual Steve
Aug 9, 2013, 05:14 PM
PS: does iO7 allow you to collapse mail sub-folders/folders yet? At the moment I'm not sure if any current/modern smartphone OS does.

Nope, betas 1-5 of iOS 7 have not had this feature.

DerrickEver
Aug 9, 2013, 05:27 PM
People may not realize that one has to swipe to the left to turn the the alarm on, once they set the time. Then when they press the Home button to exit the app, a badge appears on the icon to confirm that an alarm is set.

That's what worked for me.

alent1234
Aug 9, 2013, 06:13 PM
app $ucks
you can't set it to only turn the alarm on some days of the week

iLilana
Aug 9, 2013, 07:32 PM
Isn't the calendar alert simple enough to use?

Snowy_River
Aug 9, 2013, 09:18 PM
Ok, downloaded this onto my iPad. Set the alarm for 12:25 which was just a minute ago, exited out of the app and removed the app from the task bar or recently used apps whatever you want to call it.
Do Not Disturb was not even on.

No alarm went off. This is a limitation in the way the OS doesn't allow true multitasking just as I said a few posts up.

I'm quite puzzled by all of this. Yes, this app has some short comings (alarms not playing sounds when DND is active), but it seems fairly functional, and it is an interesting interface. Also, I've tried every combination of trying to get the alarm to not sound, and I've been quite unsuccessful (except with regards to the fact that it won't play sounds when DND is active). Just now, I set an alarm, pressed home, brought up the task bar, killed Rise from the task bar, then waited. After four minutes of waiting, lo and behold, the alarm went off. So, it seems that there may be something wonky with your device, JackieInCo. Or, perhaps...

People may not realize that one has to swipe to the left to turn the the alarm on, once they set the time. Then when they press the Home button to exit the app, a badge appears on the icon to confirm that an alarm is set.

That's what worked for me.

I hadn't thought of that. Maybe they're not using the app properly.

AlexBerkman
Aug 10, 2013, 04:13 AM
Try it. If I set the app on my iPad and then close it, the app will not work when it is time for the alarm to go off. The app has to be open and running. The only apps that can run in the background are Apples built in apps.

After setting the alarm, open multitask then open the program/app you want to use. It started ringing while I was writing this...its not rocket sience is it? you have to tell the unit to multitask...just do not use the home button that turn the alarm off.

prowlmedia
Aug 10, 2013, 04:37 AM
What do you mean?

if the phone is asleep, when the alarm app goes off it doesn't automatically launch the app and take you to the screen you need to be on. You just get a notification.

Same with things like skype. It should have the option to pause what you are doing it jumps straight into skype if someone calls.

irnchriz
Aug 10, 2013, 04:55 AM
I don't have the app because it's worthless to me. There are reviews all over the internet over the past two days talking about this very thing. I posted a link above that has comments from people who have experienced this.

Set an alarm for two hours from now. Close the app and exit from it by removing it from the task bar. Open another app and let it sit for those two hours and turn on do not disturb as well. See what happens.

Why would you remove it from the task bar. That's just stupid. How do you expect any app other than core apps to do anything if you shut them down completely. You are going out of your way to **** it up by closing it? It's iOS not android, you don't need to micromanage every app to keep your battery from running out.

Set the alarm, press home, carry on using apps. Press the power button to turn the screen off, at specified alarm time the alarm sounds and the notification displays on screen, swipe to snooze. Not difficult at all to use now is it????

Virginaustralia
Aug 10, 2013, 05:02 AM
I love this app now! i am gonna use it heaps:D:D

GoCubsGo
Aug 10, 2013, 08:10 AM
if the phone is asleep, when the alarm app goes off it doesn't automatically launch the app and take you to the screen you need to be on. You just get a notification.

Same with things like skype. It should have the option to pause what you are doing it jumps straight into skype if someone calls.

I understand that. But read my two posts again. I get absolutely no sound. Not at all. You tell me, do you wake up to an alarm that only pops up a text notification on your lock screen? I don't. I'm usually asleep. With my eyes shut. I'm very sure this app doesn't function at all like an alarm on an iPhone 4S running iOS 7. An alarm makes sounds when the phone is locked. This doesn't.

JackieInCo
Aug 10, 2013, 08:27 AM
After setting the alarm, open multitask then open the program/app you want to use. It started ringing while I was writing this...its not rocket sience is it? you have to tell the unit to multitask...just do not use the home button that turn the alarm off.

Obviously but that makes the apps worthless to many people.

prowlmedia
Aug 10, 2013, 10:55 AM
I understand that. But read my two posts again. I get absolutely no sound. Not at all. You tell me, do you wake up to an alarm that only pops up a text notification on your lock screen? I don't. I'm usually asleep. With my eyes shut. I'm very sure this app doesn't function at all like an alarm on an iPhone 4S running iOS 7. An alarm makes sounds when the phone is locked. This doesn't.

Yes I am agreeing with you. iOS7 is fully multitasking. So it will allow apps to take over and open on alarm and ring etc.

Besides although this is a nice interface, I've no idea why anyone needs to buy anything more than the built in one.

When iOS7 comes out I am hoping one of the Radio apps like tune in will put in proper launch and play alarms.

GoCubsGo
Aug 10, 2013, 01:25 PM
Yes I am agreeing with you. iOS7 is fully multitasking. So it will allow apps to take over and open on alarm and ring etc.

Besides although this is a nice interface, I've no idea why anyone needs to buy anything more than the built in one.

When iOS7 comes out I am hoping one of the Radio apps like tune in will put in proper launch and play alarms.
Ah I must have totally missed that point.

I still wonder, if iOS 7 allows true multitasking, how come this alarm doesn't sound at all when the screen is locked?

prowlmedia
Aug 10, 2013, 02:34 PM
Ah I must have totally missed that point.

I still wonder, if iOS 7 allows true multitasking, how come this alarm doesn't sound at all when the screen is locked?

Dunno - you got the do not disturb set...

JackieInCo
Aug 10, 2013, 02:43 PM
Dunno - you got the do not disturb set...

On mine, I never had Do Not Disturb turned on and it still didn't work.

asthamapheo
Aug 10, 2013, 03:17 PM
instead of free app of the week there should have been the free app of the day, it'd have been much more awesome and would have attracted much more traffic to the store.

dpace32
Aug 10, 2013, 06:22 PM
instead of free app of the week there should have been the free app of the day, it'd have been much more awesome and would have attracted much more traffic to the store.

Ton of other GOOD apps recently went free this weekend too:

Fit It! (https://bit.ly/162Jx3i)
Flick Golf Extreme! (https://bit.ly/15oOX2o)
Camera Studio + (https://bit.ly/162JTae)

Lot more listed on this Slickdeals post: http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/100412/apple-itunes-iphone-and-ipad-apps-games-flick-golf-1-doodle-truck-2-free-ghost-ninja-zombie-beatdown-1-kingdom-rush-frontiers-1-rise-alarm-clock

thatoneguy82
Aug 10, 2013, 09:05 PM
Like many people have already said, this app requires your phone to be unlocked, screen on and have the app open (not minimized). Also, it requires DND to be off. I thought I would like this app, but it requires too much for it to work. I'm using iOS7 if that makes any difference.

Carlanga
Aug 10, 2013, 09:19 PM
I'm going to download it since it's free, but the alarm app that I love ATM is Wake n' Shake! The best for the deep sleeper like me. :cool:

Casiotone
Aug 10, 2013, 10:59 PM
Nevermind.

BarryL
Aug 11, 2013, 11:21 AM
I like this app. Very clean.

phowson
Aug 11, 2013, 11:35 AM
1. Pretty good alarm clock with the caveats about needing to be front and center in order to wake you up.
2. You cannot use the sleep feature (turning on music to go to sleep to that turns off after X minutes) unless you also set an alarm to wake you up. This sucks if you have a day off and want to sleep in but still want to have music while you fall asleep (yes, I know that I could use a different app for that but this is about Rise, not another app)
3. There is no way to set the maximum volume within the app. You can use the progressive alarm but if you don't get to it right away, it is very quickly at max volume. This sucks if you get up before the alarm actually goes off and forget to turn it off before you get in the shower.
4. The camera feature uses the back camera which is kind of odd since most people would have this on a night stand and would be looking at a wall. OTOH, using the front camera might scare people if they actually saw themselves first thing in the morning.

All in all, it's a nice idea, a nice interface, but it's not all that thrilling.

asthamapheo
Aug 11, 2013, 01:00 PM
Ton of other GOOD apps recently went free this weekend too:

Fit It! (https://bit.ly/162Jx3i)
Flick Golf Extreme! (https://bit.ly/15oOX2o)
Camera Studio + (https://bit.ly/162JTae)

Lot more listed on this Slickdeals post: http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/100412/apple-itunes-iphone-and-ipad-apps-games-flick-golf-1-doodle-truck-2-free-ghost-ninja-zombie-beatdown-1-kingdom-rush-frontiers-1-rise-alarm-clock

Snowy_River
Aug 11, 2013, 02:18 PM
Like many people have already said, this app requires your phone to be unlocked, screen on and have the app open (not minimized). Also, it requires DND to be off. I thought I would like this app, but it requires too much for it to work. I'm using iOS7 if that makes any difference.

There is definitely something odd going on with this app, because this is not my experience at all.

Yes, DND has to be off. This is, perhaps, the biggest mistake with this app.

Otherwise, I've done everything I could think of to try to get it to NOT sound the alarm, including putting it in the back ground, running memory eating apps to push Rise out of background memory, killing directly from the system tray, etc., and yet it still keeps sounding the alarm.

So, I find it quite curious that others report such different behaviors. Clearly, there are bugs in the app that are adversely affecting some users.

theanimaster
Aug 11, 2013, 02:50 PM
I use an app called "Sleep Cycle" which monitors your movements while you sleep and wakes you up in a window of time, when you're at the lightest sleep, rather than a specific time.

It also keeps track of your sleep patterns and records stages of your sleep. I think it's a great alarm clock, but I still default to the iOS alarm for 'emergency' wake-ups.

DaEmOnN
Aug 11, 2013, 04:18 PM
There is a very simple reason why everyone is having different experiences with this app. I am developing an app that also has alarm functionality, and it has the same problems that this app has.

The built-in alarm app has some privileges that no app in AppStore can match. Therefore no apps in app store can:

- Play a sound while the phone is muted
- Change the current volume while in background
- Play any sound larger than 30s while in background
- Play any sound in infinite loop while in background
- Display a "Snooze" button in the alert box (like the default app does)
- many more..

You can do pretty much everything once the user opens the app, but the typical user expects that the alarm will go off without leaving the app open. Setting an alarm in those apps is the same as scheduling a local push notification that fires at a certain time, playing a 30s sound.

Unless Apple allows other apps to use the private functions of the built-in alarm, all custom alarm apps are doomed to be shiny, cool-looking replacements that don't work. iOS7 will bring background execution functionality, but I don't believe it will make those kinds of apps functional, as apps probably still won't be allowed to wake up on their own and take over your home screen.

Perhaps Apple can limit the functionality to alarm apps only (like an app can only continue streaming media if it's a radio or VoIP app, and gets rejected otherwise).

judedeshan
Oct 22, 2013, 06:57 AM

This so happened to me too, I'm using iPhone 5s but resently it stoped happening