PDA

View Full Version : PodDater: video dating via iPod

MacBytes
Nov 17, 2005, 12:18 AM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Videos
Link: PodDater: video dating via iPod (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20051117011808)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

Some_Big_Spoon
Nov 17, 2005, 12:45 AM
Maybe I'm old, maybe I have social skills, but I just don't get it.

SummerBreeze
Nov 17, 2005, 12:49 AM
Maybe I'm old, maybe I have social skills, but I just don't get it.

I'm not old, and I don't get it either. Of course, I have social skills as well, but still...

cb911
Nov 17, 2005, 12:57 AM
oh my goodness...

/me lowers head and walks away slowly...

Lacero
Nov 17, 2005, 01:02 AM
Actually I think this is a great idea!

joepunk
Nov 17, 2005, 01:03 AM
I really, really don't get it. Never understood the whole internet personal thing, especially when there are 16 and 17 year olds with their entire life history for anyone to see.

winmacguy
Nov 17, 2005, 03:25 AM
Actually I think this is a great idea!
An oportunity for a diferent form of 'video' dating:confused: There is always the traditional form of meeting people face to face :eek: :D

Lacero
Nov 17, 2005, 03:27 AM
This way is safer and you can get yourself out to more people faster. Plus the person on the receiving end of one of these personal video ads has the option to turn it off if one finds it uninteresting. Hard to do in a face to face meeting.

/Is that my cellphone ringing?
//* I don't think so.
///Let me take the call. I'll be right back.
//// [doesn't come back] :D

nagromme
Nov 17, 2005, 05:00 AM
Not to mention, some peoples' lives and schedules makes meeting people face to face easier than for others. Online matching/searching is far from a perfect plan, but cruising bars for random strangers is hardly an ideal scenario either.

dcv
Nov 17, 2005, 05:10 AM
Maybe I've missed something... but how does watching a video of someone on your iPod constitute 'dating' anyway? :confused: :rolleyes:

efoto
Nov 17, 2005, 10:24 AM
Maybe I've missed something... but how does watching a video of someone on your iPod constitute 'dating' anyway? :confused: :rolleyes:

I think it's to meet them, not to start dating them. Although, certain types of videos could lend themselves to dating I suppose :p

I'm not sure about the thing entirely, but I sure like 'Adrian' from 'Chicago' who is in 'commercial real-estate' :D

iGary
Nov 17, 2005, 10:25 AM
Jesus. H. Christ. :rolleyes:

winmacguy
Nov 17, 2005, 12:03 PM
Not to mention, some peoples' lives and schedules makes meeting people face to face easier than for others. Online matching/searching is far from a perfect plan, but cruising bars for random strangers is hardly an ideal scenario either.
True although I met my better half through a social events company for singles after I had been single for 32 years of my life. We have now been together for 3.5 years and will be married on Feb 4th 2006:)

efoto
Nov 17, 2005, 12:41 PM
True although I met my better half through a social events company for singles after I had been single for 32 years of my life. We have now been together for 3.5 years and will be married on Feb 4th 2006:)

Awesome, there's hope for me yet! :)

I always am curious to know if those dating resources work or if they are just the equivalent of a semi-returning scam to take money for depressed people. I know a few of them claim to run all these compatibility tests and such, but I'm still skeptical.

gbruner
Nov 17, 2005, 01:27 PM
I don't know, but doesn't making out with your iPod ruin the controls?

nagromme
Nov 17, 2005, 01:29 PM

I always am curious to know if those dating resources work or if they are just the equivalent of a semi-returning scam to take money for depressed people. I know a few of them claim to run all these compatibility tests and such, but I'm still skeptical.
Funny you should ask :D I find the subject interesting--for personal reasons AND as a sociological question. Lots of people I know have been trying these services or looking into them. On the surface, targeted mass-searching sounds great--a real advantage over any in-person venue. And there is some value to that, but reality of course falls short. My semi-scientific analysis:

Approach with extreme skepticism, and remember the business model: They make money from dangling the hope of meeting someone, but they STOP making money if you actually do. Be aware of high male-to-female ratios that don't benefit either party: women get bombarded with contacts that aren't serious, and men get lost in the stampede of other men. Fake profiles (phishing scams etc.) are common, and not always obvious. And membership tends to be low outside of big cities: lots of results may appear, but in fact they are almost all people who have left the site and will not return.

That's not to say it's useless, just approach it realistically: be on your guard and treat it as "what the heck, why not give it a try?" Avoid anything that will auto-renew charges on your credit card. At the same time, don't rely on the free trial services, because things are often set up so that free contacts are ignored while paid ones have a (small) shot at being effective. Browse for free and don't pay at all until you find a few people who are worth paying to contact--and who have been active on the site within a week (otherwise they are likely never to get your message anyway). And do post a picture: people are shallow, and tend to ignore all but the supermodels. However, better to have them ignore you from the start than to cut you off later when they see your picture. At the same time, don't trust others' pictures: they are likely several years old. And ignore compatibility tests--they're often hilarious, but seldom accurate.

Last but not least: people are a) anonymous and b) frustrated with the system. That brings out the worst in people. They will be rude, and they will be dishonest (about age, income, marital status, etc.). Even if they start out friendly, the moment they are no longer interested they will lose all courtesy. Don't take it personally. Make the experiment with an open mind, and--like any other way of meeting people--expect nothing, but there's always a chance. Just be safe--if you meet someone, do it in public and tell people where you are.

Don't reject the idea, but do approach it in the right way. Take time to figure out the systems, pick the best one(s), and learn to make the most of them. Expect only a trickle of meaningful responses--connecting with someone still takes a lot of time and luck, no matter what the method.

efoto
Nov 17, 2005, 02:21 PM
Just be safe--if you meet someone, do it in public and tell people where you are.

Well that certainly takes all the fun out of those 'discreet contacts' I was looking to make :rolleyes:

All good advice, if you were interested in joining a site like that. I was interested to know if it worked out for others (one already in this thread) but not so much for myself. I still struggle with paying a middle-man to get me dates/contacts, but that's just me. I'd rather just wait 'til I'm older and attract a hot young model with all of my bitter-old finances :D :p

nagromme
Nov 17, 2005, 04:08 PM
Now, see, that's a good strategy too! :D

winmacguy
Nov 17, 2005, 08:38 PM

Absolutely! I have discovered that it is more likely to happen when your not actually trying to meet someone. Between the ages of 25-32 I was trying too hard to meet 'miss right' then I gave up and BAM! I found her!:eek: :cool:

winmacguy
Nov 17, 2005, 08:44 PM

The company I went for was an events based company as opposed to a dating agency. The idea being that you go out on a trip to the beach, or evening boat cruise or wine trail or pub night etc with a group of like minded similar aged single guys and girls and just aim to have a good time without necessarily aiming to 'meet' and 'date' a perspective partner. If you meet that person on one of the events you can make arrangements to catch up with each other in your own time and take it from there otherwise you just keep going along to the various functions and events and enjoy yourself until you meet someone that you 'click' with.

efoto
Nov 17, 2005, 09:08 PM
Absolutely! I have discovered that it is more likely to happen when your not actually trying to meet someone. Between the ages of 25-32 I was trying too hard to meet 'miss right' then I gave up and BAM! I found her!:eek: :cool:

Of course, it never happens when you want it to. When I don't want a girl she will want me...but when I want a girl really bad, like now for holidays :(, she will never want me.

What a damned vicious cycle. I hate this....more...porter :rolleyes:

winmacguy
Nov 17, 2005, 10:42 PM
Of course, it never happens when you want it to. When I don't want a girl she will want me...but when I want a girl really bad, like now for holidays :(, she will never want me.

Ah yes been there, done that, It's known as the 'desperate' phase and girls can see it in a guy. When your 'not interested' in them you give of a 'aura' of confidence or dis-interest which girls seem to be 'intriged' by and therefore more interested in you... go figure:confused: ( I guess it breaks down to them wondering why your not appearing to be attracted to their feminine qualities...)

Finally when your 'not looking' you give of the contented, confident and 'semi-disinterested' look which is what attracts girls. I think they like a guy who has or appears to have a certain level of self confidence and possibly an ability to provide and stable relationship and/or income/house to support a potential family. Whether any of this actually works out to be true or not depends entirely on the situation. In my case most parts of that equation have worked out, took a loooooong time to get there and realise it though, VERY frustrating inbetween :rolleyes: (also known as growing up, maturing, and becoming more settled):p

efoto
Nov 18, 2005, 08:39 AM
Ah yes been there, done that, It's known as the 'desperate' phase and girls can see it in a guy. When your 'not interested' in them you give of a 'aura' of confidence or dis-interest which girls seem to be 'intriged' by and therefore more interested in you... go figure:confused: ( I guess it breaks down to them wondering why your not appearing to be attracted to their feminine qualities...)

Finally when your 'not looking' you give of the contented, confident and 'semi-disinterested' look which is what attracts girls. I think they like a guy who has or appears to have a certain level of self confidence and possibly an ability to provide and stable relationship and/or income/house to support a potential family. Whether any of this actually works out to be true or not depends entirely on the situation. In my case most parts of that equation have worked out, took a loooooong time to get there and realise it though, VERY frustrating inbetween :rolleyes: (also known as growing up, maturing, and becoming more settled):p

I realize those points, they don't make the holidays any easier though :p

I know that confidence, not arrogance however, is very attractive, as is stability and in a lot of cases wealth/success. Being attracted to those traits is not inherently bad, however if that is all you looked at I would have to believe that you would be cutting out many decent and potential people.

I want a girlfriend over the holidays, it feels nice and content, but I'm not looking for one and even if one strolled up I would probably postpone starting anything until post-New Year simply due to hectic-isity and lack of time in the coming months.

nagromme
Nov 18, 2005, 10:22 AM
I suspect that all our trying and analyzing is like a butterfly in a hurricane, with the real factors being 75% random and 25% out of all possible control :o

efoto
Nov 18, 2005, 10:38 AM
I suspect that all our trying and analyzing is like a butterfly in a hurricane, with the real factors being 75% random and 25% out of all possible control :o

The entire contents of this forum can be summed up with those words, especially all of the 'Next Tuesday' and 'No Intel Sticker' threads :p

Without our pointless analyzation what does that leave us with?

winmacguy
Nov 18, 2005, 01:48 PM
I want a girlfriend over the holidays,
That is your problem. When you WANT a girlfriend or female companion for a 'set time period' is when you will be unlikely to find one. Trust me you WILL find one when the time is right. Just knowing 'when' the time will be 'right' and how long it can take to get to that place is a question that only someone like Yoda (starwars) could answer :( alternatively if you could tell me how long is a piece of string then you would know when you will meet 'that girl'. Trust me I was single and looking for a girl-friend for 7 years :eek: :o before I FINALLY met my wife to be. Only god and mother nature know the answer as to why that is.

winmacguy
Nov 18, 2005, 01:50 PM
The entire contents of this forum can be summed up with those words, especially all of the 'Next Tuesday' and 'No Intel Sticker' threads :p

Without our pointless analyzation what does that leave us with?
At the moment we sound like a bunch of girls discussing guys over coffee:D :p

efoto
Nov 18, 2005, 01:57 PM
That is your problem. When you WANT a girlfriend or female companion for a 'set time period' is when you will be unlikely to find one. Trust me you WILL find one when the time is right. Just knowing 'when' the time will be 'right' and how long it can take to get to that place is a question that only someone like Yoda (starwars) could answer :( alternatively if you could tell me how long is a piece of string then you would know when you will meet 'that girl'. Trust me I was single and looking for a girl-friend for 7 years :eek: :o before I FINALLY met my wife to be. Only god and mother nature know the answer as to why that is.

I understand that. If you would have read/quoted the remainder of my previous post you would see that I said want but would not accept ;). It is a clash of feelings, but I realize which are valid and which are whims.

winmacguy
Nov 18, 2005, 08:04 PM
I understand that. If you would have read/quoted the remainder of my previous post you would see that I said want but would not accept ;). It is a clash of feelings, but I realize which are valid and which are whims.
If I took myself back 10 years to being single again and wishing I had a girlfriend or companion for the holidays or just to do stuff with I would say join the club! The only thing I could never understand about girls is why so many of them seemed to be attracted to guys who were complete dicks and who used to treat the girls like s**te, yet the girls still hang out with them, yet little old kind and caring (frustrated) me could never attract one of these girls who were often saying how their boyfriends tended to be a** holes (in some cases)....go figure??:confused: (dont worry I have discussed and contemplated this issue for many years over a lot of beer with many people - and I still dont know the answer)

efoto
Nov 19, 2005, 02:25 PM
If I took myself back 10 years to being single again and wishing I had a girlfriend or companion for the holidays or just to do stuff with I would say join the club! The only thing I could never understand about girls is why so many of them seemed to be attracted to guys who were complete dicks and who used to treat the girls like s**te, yet the girls still hang out with them, yet little old kind and caring (frustrated) me could never attract one of these girls who were often saying how their boyfriends tended to be a** holes (in some cases)....go figure??:confused: (dont worry I have discussed and contemplated this issue for many years over a lot of beer with many people - and I still dont know the answer)

Ha ha, yeah. I have talked about things like this time and time again over many different types of drinks :D

I don't think anyone knows the answer, it's part of being male that just states we cannot fully understand women. Oh well, the day will come and that's fine I suppose.