Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
There isn't really a dedicated space for everyone to talk about lenses and whatnot... many camera-type threads end up in Design & Graphics or in the Picture Gallery which to me, doesn't seem quite right... it could go under the Special Interests section.

If digital video has a forum, then surely photography should be represented. I would have thought that there would be more people interested in photography than video only because of the costs involved.

Anyway, just a thought.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
We could rename the Design & Graphics forum to Digital Imagery, to complement Digital Video.

Or we could combine both forums and call it Digital Media, which encompasses both digital photography, video and all digital graphics.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
Lacero said:
We could rename the Design & Graphics forum to Digital Imagery, to complement Digital Video.

Hmmm... but many design/graphics-related issues aren't about imagery in the generally accepted sense of the word.

I would have thought that most people would understand Graphics (either print or web) and Photography to be separate disciplines, particularly when it comes to discussing equipment and technique.

Obviously, there is some overlap, particularly when it comes to Photoshop-related questions but Photoshop issues for photographers are often different from the ones for graphics people.

To me, it just seems odd to see threads relating to Aperture in a Graphics forum... as incongruous as seeing font-related threads in a Photography forum.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Hmmm... I was just mulling your idea while eating some hot wings just now, and I think we should add a Digital Photography section.

My only concern was the 2 forums now are not really all that busy, since they get on average 3 new threads a day. By combining them, at least all the disciplines will get more eyeballs and make it easier for newbies to visit, since too fragmented the forums, the more intimidating it makes for newbies to access the various forums.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
Hmmm... hot wings.

Busy-ness is surely not an issue. Relevance perhaps, is.

Kernow

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2005
Kingston-Upon-Thames
How about having sub-forums like the Digital Audio one in the Music Forum?

I think a Digital Photography forum is a good idea & surprised that there isn't one already given the number of members here who seem knowledgeable in this area. I only tinker, but it would be good to have somewhere definite to go to get advice

Josh

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2004
State College, PA
Blue Velvet said:
There isn't really a dedicated space for everyone to talk about lenses and whatnot... many camera-type threads end up in Design & Graphics or in the Picture Gallery which to me, doesn't seem quite right... it could go under the Special Interests section.

If digital video has a forum, then surely photography should be represented. I would have thought that there would be more people interested in photography than video only because of the costs involved.

Anyway, just a thought.

I definitely agree that if there is video, there should be photo (seems like photo would have been the first category to me :confused: ).

But why not use a specialized forum full of professionals, such as Photozo Digital Photography Forum?

I love MR, but I'd much rather talk photography with a site full of pro photographers rather than talking to a few photographers on a computer site. Just my opinion though :)

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
Josh said:
...I love MR, but I'd much rather talk photography with a site full of pro photographers rather than talking to a few photographers on a computer site.

I wouldn't have envisaged that it was purely a pro-level forum... it seems that so many people these days are getting back into photography because of the ease of use of digital cameras. A forum for all where beginners can pick up tips from the few pros that are here.

And moving the picture gallery into there is also a good idea, I reckon.

neut

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2001
here (for now)
Blue Velvet said:

I like the idea of a dedicated Photography forum. There are more than enough photo related threads on here to fill it up; tons of photographers on this site (pro/amateur).

I think the Member Pics should stay in Community, but most everything else would be better suited under Special Interests, Photography (Digital/Analog).

peace | neut

Applespider

macrumors G4
Blue Velvet said:
I wouldn't have envisaged that it was purely a pro-level forum...

I'd agree with this; what I've learned about taking photos came from photo sites but many seem quite intimidating to relative newbies who just want to know what some of the PP options can do for their pictures.

Moxiemike

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
neut said:
I like the idea of a dedicated Photography forum. There are more than enough photo related threads on here to fill it up; tons of photographers on this site (pro/amateur).

I think the Member Pics should stay in Community, but most everything else would be better suited under Special Interests, Photography (Digital/Analog).

peace | neut

i agree. and i'd nominate neut as the photo thread mod. :D

njmac

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
I would love a photography category. There are so many threads right now on digital cameras and photography, both pro and beginner, that it makes sense to organize that info into the digital photography forum.

I have been thinking that photography may be a fun (if expensive ;) ) hobby and would be a fun career one day. I could use all the info and advice I can get.

Moxiemike

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
njmac said:
I would love a photography category. There are so many threads right now on digital cameras and photography, both pro and beginner, that it makes sense to organize that info into the digital photography forum.

I have been thinking that photography may be a fun (if expensive ;) ) hobby and would be a fun career one day. I could use all the info and advice I can get.

njmac-- if you decide to get into photo, shoot me a PM, IM or email, and i'll do what i can to answer your questions and give you some good info.

The motto of the Successful Pro Photographer is "Share the Knowledge"

;)

m

njmac

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Moxiemike said:
njmac-- if you decide to get into photo, shoot me a PM, IM or email, and i'll do what i can to answer your questions and give you some good info.

The motto of the Successful Pro Photographer is "Share the Knowledge"

;)

m

Thank you, that is very generous of you and I will take you up on that offer. :cool:

Moxiemike

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
njmac said:
Thank you, that is very generous of you and I will take you up on that offer. :cool:

amen. and welcome to the fold. do you shoot anything now?post some pics. do it. maybe it'll spur the forum creation along.

if you post, i'll post, then neut will post. and efoto. and then it'll be a party

njmac

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
I don't want to be first :eek: :p I'm learning, but I will try to find something good enough to post....

rjphoto

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2005
My vote it yes.

I don't think that it needs to be Pro specific though.

A lot of students have been asking questions about what camera they should buy for their class. Pro's and hobbiest alike have been helping them.

If it is broken into Pro - Consumer - Student - Hobby sections there may be a lot of questions missed by someone who might have an answer because they don't frequent that section.

Just my 4Cents (inflation, ya know.)

efoto

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2004
Cloud 9 (-6)
Oh hellz yeah! :p

I'm all for it, twice over. A photography section would be awesome. The only issue I see is that if we open it to posting pictures and getting feedback (which would be awesome!) it may overlap the Picture Gallery a little bit, although very few people post images for feedback. It has been done, but it certainly isn't common.

If we had a section dedicated to discussing photography, the tools of the trade, the tactics and styles, getting feedback, etc, would be very useful.

Josh said:
But why not use a specialized forum full of professionals, such as Photozo Digital Photography Forum?

I like MR from the one-stop-shop is has turned into in some ways. A major portion of the site still remains dedicated to Macs and Apple products, but there are great community threads and other sections that deserve equal praise. I think adding a photography section makes perfect sense.

Go for it, please! :D

Moxiemike

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
rjphoto said:
I don't think that it needs to be Pro specific though.

A lot of students have been asking questions about what camera they should buy for their class. Pro's and hobbiest alike have been helping them.

If it is broken into Pro - Consumer - Student - Hobby sections there may be a lot of questions missed by someone who might have an answer because they don't frequent that section.

Just my 4Cents (inflation, ya know.)

no one said it had to be divided. i don't think it should. unless your dividing such that there's a forum for BUYING gear and one for technique and knowledge. I'd be all for that

but i do think the pros like igary, chip, myself, neut, etc should definitely take the bull by the horns and if there is a photo forum, do the best to promote true sharing of knowledge.

I have no agenda other than to share techniques (and if i've helped, buy a print or three, right efoto :p ). To me, the thing that helped me in the early stages of my career is having good, nice, supportive people to talk to and learn from.

I'm at the point now where i can provide that. So bring it on.

neut

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2001
here (for now)
Moxiemike said:
i agree. and i'd nominate neut as the photo thread mod. :D

Me moderate? Very well then, i except ... :p

Actually i'd nominate you, Gary or foto. :) I don't own a working camera right now. :rolleyes: Thanks for reminding me to take home the work camera! :D

This is definately a good idea Blue.

peace | neut

Moxiemike

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
neut said:
Me moderate? Very well then, i except ... :p

Actually i'd nominate you, Gary or foto. :) I don't own a working camera right now. :rolleyes: Thanks for reminding me to take home the work camera! :D

peace | neut

the only way i'd win a moderator election is if i lowered myself to GWB '00 standards.

i nominated you because you DON'T own a camera, and wouldn't be partial if you did. ;) Plus, you have as much knowledge and as good an eye as anyone on here..

peace | mox ;)

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
neut said:

I know. :D

But it takes people to ask for these things if they want it. I'm not much of a photographer these days (except for the classes I used to teach in B&W and darkroom skills).

But as a designer, it just struck me how many photography-related topics were in the Design & Graphics forum and I thought that surely they deserve a better home — one dedicated to that field of interest.

In other words, get your bloody boring Aperture Wow! and Nikon v. Canon rants out of our lovely design forum! :p :D

neut

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2001
here (for now)
Blue Velvet said:
In other words, get your bloody boring Nikon v. Canon rants out of our lovely design forum! :p :D

Hey, that's Mike's fault ... not mine. :p

:D

I don't spend enough time in the Design/Web/DV forums as i should (i think the Pic. Assoc. thread was taking too much of my time), so i haven't seen the intrusion, but i have seen you complain about it a time or two. ;)

I'm actually trained as a graphic designer, e-learning and flash dev. by trade, and a digital/analog artist (a/v/traditional) @ home. You'd think i'd be in there trading secrets and what-not, but i haven't been all that creative this past year. Digital photography is just so quick to turn-around that it's about all i've been into lately ... but now i don't have a working camera. :(

Oh well, i need to catch up on all the latest and greatest ... more MR for me i guess. :p

peace | neut (hey mike, i expect royalties if you add that to your sig.) :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.