PDA

View Full Version : MacBook Air and Final Cut X

Kurri
Aug 9, 2013, 03:20 PM
Does anyone use it on their air? If so, what is your opinion on performance? I have a macbook air i7 8gb was thinking about using it on my air. Would love to hear your experience.

fedecape
Aug 9, 2013, 03:31 PM
I use it everyday (I'm not a pro). IMO, it runs pretty good. No lags, no crashes.

It renders amazingly fast when the destination is the internal SSD, to the USB 3 soso.

The only thing is the battery life. Expect about 2 hours of battery life when your are working with it.

Kurri
Aug 9, 2013, 05:22 PM
yeah i would go USB 3.0 due to storage issues on the air. 2 hours battery is pretty bad but understandable. thanks for the info

I use it everyday (I'm not a pro). IMO, it runs pretty good. No lags, no crashes.

It renders amazingly fast when the destination is the internal SSD, to the USB 3 soso.

The only thing is the battery life. Expect about 2 hours of battery life when your are working with it.

TechnologyAddic
Aug 10, 2013, 02:17 PM

Only 2 hours how much would you get when working with the pro retina?

fedecape
Aug 12, 2013, 12:24 AM
Only 2 hours how much would you get when working with the pro retina?

can't help with that :(

Boyd01
Aug 12, 2013, 08:31 AM
I am still using FCP 6 and it works great on my 2013 11" MBA with i7 8gb/512gb. Also worked fine on my 2011 13" MBA with i5 4gb/256gb. Rendering is faster on the new machine, and the fans kick into high about 5 minutes into a long render.

I would love to upgrade to FCP X, but FCP 6 is currently meeting my (rather modest) needs. If I get involved with any big projects, I will probably upgrade - but that might also make me think about getting a bigger/faster machine too.

But I love being able to work with video on this little machine, and it's about 3x faster than my old 2008 15" MBP. I am shooting full HD with Sony XDCAM EX.