Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

T-Mobile will be discontinuing the "No Money Down" promotion that it launched in late July, reports AllThingsD. The promotion, which ends on Saturday, allowed new T-Mobile subscribers to purchase an iPhone with no downpayment, paying for the full cost of the phone with monthly payments of approximately $25.

While the iPhone 4 and other smartphones will still be available with no money down, the iPhone 4S and the iPhone 5 will revert to T-Mobile's original pricing terms. For the iPhone 5, customers will need to pay $145.99 upfront and make 24 monthly payments of $21.

t-mobile_usa_logo.jpg
T-Mobile did not give a reason why the two iPhone models were removed from the promotion, but a representative gave AllThingsD the following statement: "As is the nature of promotions, pricing moves are temporary."

Despite the return of the downpayment, T-Mobile's pricing remains the most affordable for an iPhone 5 from the major carriers.

T-Mobile, which introduced its "Un-Carrier" policies aiming to separate device costs from service costs in March, has garnered 1.1 million new customers during the last few months. T-Mobile CEO John Legere said earlier this week that the company is planning on expanding its Apple product offerings beyond the iPhone.

Article Link: T-Mobile to End 'No Money Down' Promotion for iPhone 4S and iPhone 5

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Word is that Apple didn't like the perception that was given by $0 for the iPhone and pressured Tmobile to raise the down payment back to $150.

blue22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2010
pretty clever...

From a marketing perspective this a good move by T-Mobile to drive buzz in their products, especially if you're one of the few lucky people to capitalize off their current promotion, which in turn generates exclusivity which further drives the buzz for others to try to act quicker to take advantage of the offer before it expires, thus ultimately helping to boost more potential sales.

Kar98

macrumors 65816
Feb 20, 2007
Meh, we're both still on a 3GS and we'll just wait for the 5C to come around.

mj1108

macrumors 6502a
Apr 7, 2007
California
Word is that Apple didn't like the perception that was given by $0 for the iPhone and pressured Tmobile to raise the down payment back to $150.

Hasn't Apple always had a fear of being perceived as "cheap"? They might think that $0 down on an iPhone would take away the 'luxury aspect" of the brand.

I can definitely see Apple being the one behind this.

egoistaxx9

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2013
no, i dont think this rumor is true, why would they end this offer just after one month. t-mob is headed in the right direction, i'm also planning to switch to t-mob. let's see when the note 3 hits their carrier.

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
Ah!

I was gonna say, "WTF?! Can't T-Mobile figure out what they want to do before they spend the money announcing plans and promotions they just change back again?" But that's true ... I remember Apple getting after other carriers for the same thing in the past. They don't ever want currently offered models of the iPhones to appear to be given away for free - lest they get perceived as low value devices.

Personally, I think that's stupid at this point, because the public knows good and well what the iPhone is and what it's worth.... but marketing will be marketing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.