PDA

View Full Version : Disney no longer including iTunes digital copies?

jaw04005
Aug 9, 2013, 04:46 PM
Apparently, Disney has discontinued iTunes digital copies on at least some of there recent titles.

I purchased Robin Hood, Oliver and Company and Sword and the Stone and all three titles now include Amazon VOD and Vudu digital copies in HD.

Anyone else had this issue?

lunaoso
Aug 9, 2013, 05:35 PM
I don't know why. iTunes is a more recognizable name anyway. Why can't movie companies stick to what has worked for years instead of switching to IMO, lesser quality services?

brentsg
Aug 9, 2013, 07:35 PM
I'd prefer a Vudu digital copy to iTunes SD any day.

QuarterSwede
Aug 9, 2013, 07:39 PM
Personally I think Universal got it right. I bought The Lorax BluRay Combo set and it came with a Digital copy (redemption code) that lets you choose a streaming service (Vudu, UV, or Flixster) and a download service (iTunes or Amazon). Plenty of choices to keep the majority happy.

alent1234
Aug 14, 2013, 02:34 PM
Apparently, Disney has discontinued iTunes digital copies on at least some of there recent titles.

I purchased Robin Hood, Oliver and Company and Sword and the Stone and all three titles now include Amazon VOD and Vudu digital copies in HD.

Anyone else had this issue?

they are probably going ultraviolet

brentsg
Aug 14, 2013, 05:13 PM
they are probably going ultraviolet

Nope, they seem to be doing their own thing.

twoehr
Aug 14, 2013, 06:42 PM
This is a bummer, I've been buying all my Disney disks with the digital copy because it was iTunes. I guess I'll save $5 and just rip the DVD instead. Another change due to the passing of Steve Jobs.

Jessica Lares
Aug 14, 2013, 07:06 PM
This is a bummer, I've been buying all my Disney disks with the digital copy because it was iTunes. I guess I'll save $5 and just rip the DVD instead. Another change due to the passing of Steve Jobs.

Don't look at it that way! It really could be a decision Disney made on their own. It could be very well that they saw that people were just selling off their codes and they didn't like the fact that they were losing so much money off of it. Nobody wants to be tied up to streaming services and places where you can't use the media offline.

twoehr
Aug 15, 2013, 10:08 PM
Don't look at it that way! It really could be a decision Disney made on their own. It could be very well that they saw that people were just selling off their codes and they didn't like the fact that they were losing so much money off of it. Nobody wants to be tied up to streaming services and places where you can't use the media offline.

I don't follow how this new system will change people from selling their codes, but I do agree only supporting iTunes and Windows Media Player was too restrictive. The good news is that the new program has iTunes as an option, but it doesn't look like the "B" movies will get that. Oz had iTunes, hopefully Little Mermaid will too. I'm returning my Sword of the Stone and Robin Hood, not worth $25 each for a bad Blu-ray transfer and non-iTunes digital copy. I'd rather pay $15 for the SD version on iTunes.

alent1234
Aug 16, 2013, 06:49 PM
How do you tell which movies have the iTunes copy and which ones don't?
Is it the 3d blu rays that have the iTunes copy?

iMacBooked
Aug 16, 2013, 06:51 PM
I noticed that too! Means no more Disney iTunes digitals then? What a shame.

twoehr
Aug 16, 2013, 11:00 PM
How do you tell which movies have the iTunes copy and which ones don't?
Is it the 3d blu rays that have the iTunes copy?

You cannot tell from the packaging. If you go to digitalcopyplus.com and look in the FAQs you can find the expiration schedule for the digital copies. iTunes only lists Oz, while Amazon has all of the current crop.

Update: The page has changed somewhat, right now this link (http://www.digitalcopyplus.com/providers) will take you directly to the support matrix

Julien
Aug 17, 2013, 10:51 AM
This seems strange given Apple and Disney's relationship.

alent1234
Aug 17, 2013, 05:05 PM
maybe amazon gave them a better deal since the studios have to pay for each digital copy
i'm buying an amazon compatible blu ray player next week, but was hoping to have all my movies in itunes

kdavis
Aug 18, 2013, 09:15 AM
This change sucks, mostly because of how Disney has handled the transition. After five years or so of iTunes digital copies being the norm for them, they changed course with no notice to customers on the packaging, press or anywhere else. I pre-ordered all five thinking, "great, digital copies!" only to find that none have them in a format I can use. They had it right with OZ - a disc-free system which offered a broad range of compatibility. Since there's no real reason why they CAN'T offer iTunes along with the other services, the exclusion seems petty and anti-customer.

Truth be told, though, these five recent releases that do not have the iTunes digital copies are all titles that, in all likelihood,would not have had digital copies at all, just a few months ago. However, they have now added "digital copy" into the value equation and, when that portion of the product is useless to me now, that makes the expense harder to justify. This change has pushed me from being a blind Disney pre-orderer to, now, a "wait and see" customer with their titles. Owning everything on DVD to begin with, I can't really justify the expense of "upgrades" if I'm not going to get my full value use of the product.

alphaod
Aug 18, 2013, 11:05 AM
Another change due to the passing of Steve Jobs.

How is this even relevant? :confused:

Ballis
Aug 18, 2013, 04:50 PM
Steve was Disneys biggest stockholder

alent1234
Aug 18, 2013, 08:35 PM
did some googling last night because of this thread, and some studios have stopped including an itunes copy as well. most have gone to ultraviolet and iTunes as a secondary.

best bet is to have a smart bluray player that supports these services

PinkyMacGodess
Sep 15, 2013, 01:02 PM
Harry Potter Deadly Hollows Part 1 is available on iTunes, Part 2 is Flixster/Ultraviolet only.

What sense does that make? Stupid ******* douche bag executives... You can't watch the damn movies on an Apple device then, can you? Anyone figured out a way to break the Ultraviolet download files?

Ultraviolet was a stupid idea to begin with. They used to be compatible with iTunes... Screw it, I might as well start buying through iTunes directly...

What ways are available to rip BluRay discs on the mac? Handbrake doesn't do it. Does it keep the source format? These stupid butt hole surfing executives are making people break their laws just to watch their stupid movies...

I started downloading the 'digital copy' of the movies we already have, and found that Angels & Demons came with the movie on a 'Digital Copy' disc, and the stupid code has an expiration date! Oh, PLUS the iTunes version has a universal iTunes.app that won't run now... Stupid stupid stupid... :mad:

priitv8
Sep 15, 2013, 02:20 PM
What ways are available to rip BluRay discs on the mac? Handbrake doesn't do it.MakeMKV (http://www.makemkv.com) is the way to go.

PinkyMacGodess
Sep 15, 2013, 04:13 PM
MakeMKV (http://www.makemkv.com) is the way to go.

I thought it was a two or three step process for Blu-rays?

Julien
Sep 15, 2013, 05:54 PM
I thought it was a two or three step process for Blu-rays?
I step to rip to MKV. However you must convert the MKV (using HB) to MP4.

PinkyMacGodess
Sep 15, 2013, 08:04 PM
I step to rip to MKV. However you must convert the MKV (using HB) to MP4.

OK. Thanks... Does the video resolution stay the same? MakeMKV seems complicated. I tried it but I will have to see what I get...

Michael CM1
Sep 16, 2013, 02:36 AM
How is this even relevant? :confused:

It's not, but Steve Jobs died and then in the following time period between then and now something changed. Thus, it's because Tim Cook is not Steve Jobs.

Also, because freedom. And America.

Julien
Sep 16, 2013, 05:05 AM
OK. Thanks... Does the video resolution stay the same? MakeMKV seems complicated. I tried it but I will have to see what I get...

I think you are confusing resolution with picture quality. If you mean resolution then you can simply select the output resolution in HB to be the same as the source. Most likely your source is 1080x1920 and you can use this in HB and it will remain the same.

If you are asking about PQ then any transcoding and/or data reduction will technically reduce PQ quality. Will you be able to see any using average settings and an average size TV? Not likely unless you know what to look for.

The only way to compleatly retain all PQ is to watch the BD and not use ATV.

ftaok
Sep 16, 2013, 07:31 AM
That list on the DigitalCopyPlus website now has a bunch of other movies showing that it will include the iTunes DC.

Based on the other thread, the DC for Oz is HD. Hopefully, the DC for Iron Man 3, and the newer Pixar movies will be in HD as well.

The ones that don't include iTunes DC look to be made for home video kids movies ... of which only the TinkerBell movie looks to be of any quality (my opinion).

Until the NEW big budget Disney movies show up without iTunes DC, I take this as a good thing.

PinkyMacGodess
Sep 16, 2013, 07:36 AM
Does MakeMKV error a lot for people using it? I just, on my first disc, had an error that part of the file didn't pass the hash and was corrupted. I'm trying it again to see what happens. I assume that the resulting file is trash in that case.

Thanks to all for assistance...

Second run, logging enabled, and getting this over and over again:

Loaded content hash table, will verify integrity of M2TS files.
Hash check failed for file /BDMV/STREAM/00119.m2ts at offset 8251392, file is corrupt.

:-(

'Dirty' disc... Seems to be working, so far...

jimmirehman
Sep 16, 2013, 08:17 AM
just another thing in our lives that will be fragmented all to hell!!!

Ripping is of course the best solution, but Movies in the iCloud can't be beat. im sorry. Apple should just say screw it and offer a $5 per movie digital copy swap. Input your unused UV and Vudu Codes and for $5 per movie you get the itunes version.

Fragmentation really ruins the whole digital hub experience. everyone and their mother has a movie service now. Its pathetic. I have AppleTVs , iPhones, iPad and Macs. I dont want UV, i dont care about Amazon, i hate Vudu. just everyone go with itunes.

Or better yet. Make it DRM free or each code is redeemable with 2 services.

----------

And if Disney doesn't offer the Phase 2 & 3 Marvel movies in iTunes digital copy format with their Bluray counterparts, we are gonna have a problem.

PinkyMacGodess
Sep 16, 2013, 08:57 AM
And if Disney doesn't offer the Phase 2 & 3 Marvel movies in iTunes digital copy format with their Bluray counterparts, we are gonna have a problem.

They won't, or it's highly unlikely they will now. I can't believe that Warner would split the Harry Potter Deadly Hallows movies like they did. Part 1 digital download is on iTunes, Part 2 isn't. Where's the sense, where's the compassion for the parents that have to try to explain to their kids why some fat and overpaid executive somewhere is blocking their watching Part 2 on their iPad... I mean, sure, you can supposedly still watch it, but is it over the head of many parents?

When technology gets too difficult to use, people look for other alternatives. People start working to break the limits. Especially limits that seem to be imposed so capriciously... They CAN make their movies available on iTunes. They have done it before...

mkjj
Sep 16, 2013, 09:12 AM
I can't believe that Warner would split the Harry Potter Deadly Hallows movies like they did. Part 1 digital download is on iTunes, Part 2 isn't.

HPDH part 1 & 2 shows up in my iTunes? all 8 movies are there :confused:

PinkyMacGodess
Sep 16, 2013, 11:44 AM
HPDH part 1 & 2 shows up in my iTunes? all 8 movies are there :confused:

Perhaps you have the 8 disc set? Mine, Blu-ray, has an Ultraviolet only code. The drop-in looks completely different. Part 1 offers 'iTunes or Windows Media' digital download, and Part 2 only offers an 'Ultraviolet Digital Copy' with streaming through that service, or 'download' through Flixster. It says on it in boldface: 'not compatible with all devices'... BestBuy had the all Blu-ray Harry Potter set available on sale. I didn't think to check that for iTunes compatibility, but repurchasing the movies that I already have because I want the iTunes version is crazy on many levels and plays into their hands... Glad it worked for you. Oh, I have the 3D version. Perhaps it's different with the straight non-3D version. And I haven't even watched the 3D version. It's a waste...

StinDaWg
Sep 16, 2013, 08:15 PM
Fragmentation really ruins the whole digital hub experience. everyone and their mother has a movie service now. Its pathetic. I have AppleTVs , iPhones, iPad and Macs. I dont want UV, i dont care about Amazon, i hate Vudu. just everyone go with itunes.
It's called competition. Not everyone uses apple devices (vast majority don't actually), so your suggestion is ridiculous. If apple held a monopoly in the digital market they could charge whatever they wanted, so prices would be even higher than they are now.

No thanks.

mkjj
Sep 17, 2013, 09:33 AM
Perhaps you have the 8 disc set? Mine, Blu-ray, has an Ultraviolet only code. The drop-in looks completely different. Part 1 offers 'iTunes or Windows Media' digital download, and Part 2 only offers an 'Ultraviolet Digital Copy' with streaming through that service, or 'download' through Flixster. It says on it in boldface: 'not compatible with all devices'... BestBuy had the all Blu-ray Harry Potter set available on sale. I didn't think to check that for iTunes compatibility, but repurchasing the movies that I already have because I want the iTunes version is crazy on many levels and plays into their hands... Glad it worked for you. Oh, I have the 3D version. Perhaps it's different with the straight non-3D version. And I haven't even watched the 3D version. It's a waste...

Sorry I thought you meant on the iTunes Store to buy :o

PinkyMacGodess
Sep 17, 2013, 09:50 AM
Sorry I thought you meant on the iTunes Store to buy :o

Well then I would hope that it was the iTunes version... ;)

On a tangent: Can iTunes purchased movie files be burned to DVD? I've always been curious. You can with music, although I've never done it. Thanks..

jimmirehman
Sep 17, 2013, 05:37 PM
It's called competition. Not everyone uses apple devices (vast majority don't actually), so your suggestion is ridiculous. If apple held a monopoly in the digital market they could charge whatever they wanted, so prices would be even higher than they are now.

No thanks.

actually the vast majority do. Its the largest digital media store. I'm not saying ignore the others. what i am saying is, don't just stop offering itunes codes. If there are 4 services that offer digital media, let the code included work with my choice of the 4 services.

PinkyMacGodess
Sep 18, 2013, 10:57 AM
MakeMVK seems to be working well. It's a two step process, three including HandBrake, but the screen format seems to stay in the whole process. I'm impressed. The files are large, but they are widescreen files. This is cool...

crzdcolombian
Sep 18, 2013, 11:02 AM
Disney only include the digital copy if you buy the insanely priced 3d(who owns a 3d tv haha) version that is $35 bucks on day 1 and like 40 bucks after that !!!

All the Marvel movies are crap and they want $40 bucks for AVENGERS !!! YOU SERIOUS !!!

I ordered Little Mermaid for my GF and its 26 bucks on Amazon with itunes digital copy blu ray. I will let you know in 2 weeks if it's HD. I doubt it tho.

PinkyMacGodess
Sep 18, 2013, 11:08 AM
Disney only include the digital copy if you buy the insanely priced 3d(who owns a 3d tv haha) version that is $35 bucks on day 1 and like 40 bucks after that !!!

All the Marvel movies are crap and they want $40 bucks for AVENGERS !!! YOU SERIOUS !!!

I ordered Little Mermaid for my GF and its 26 bucks on Amazon with itunes digital copy blu ray. I will let you know in 2 weeks if it's HD. I doubt it tho.

So far, none of the iTunes digital downloads have been HD, at least none that I've encountered... Just rip your own...

Yeah, the real insult would be to be busted for ripping one of those turkeys. I was pissed that the included on a disc Angels & Demons digital 'download' wouldn't work, but now after ripping the Blu-ray, I realize that the movie sucks and they actually did me a favor by putting a freshness date on the code.

The whole movie is a freaking joke... The 'god particle' lasts the smallest fractions of a second. Keeping it 'alive' in a bottle like a bee is just ridiculous. I remembered that after watching the fresh rip of it. BAH! Stupid freaking garbage... Obviously they need someone with a brain at the movie studio who could have said, when they were approached to buy the rights to make a movie of the book, 'What? That POS? And be laughed at by everyone who has ever taken a physics class? Heck no! Don't call us, we won't call you!'

crzdcolombian
Sep 18, 2013, 11:18 AM
So far, none of the iTunes digital downloads have been HD, at least none that I've encountered... Just rip your own...

problem with ripping your own is it takes a ton of time and I don't get it over the cloud. I just buy the movie and then download it in another place. Like I did with Spiderman and Batman. Ultraviolet sucks and it makes me made that 6-7 years into the market Warner Brothers decides hey we want to make our own. Sucks you have all 7 or 8 harry potter movies but the last one is Ultraviolet. My girlfriend was PISSED.

Ultraviolet and not giving you DC in HD isn't helping pirating. I do understand where the companies are coming from because have you ever ebay'd digital copy. I bought Lion King on itunes on ebay for $6 bucks !!!

Look up avengers on ebay. People are selling the 3d blu ray for 5-10, the dvd for 5-10, the digital copy for 5-10 and the blu ray for $15.

I don't understand why they give you both a dvd and a blu ray. Instead of just a Blu ray but guess it's to keep the price high. I much rather get a DC then a DVD

PinkyMacGodess
Sep 18, 2013, 11:38 AM
problem with ripping your own is it takes a ton of time and I don't get it over the cloud. I just buy the movie and then download it in another place. Like I did with Spiderman and Batman. Ultraviolet sucks and it makes me made that 6-7 years into the market Warner Brothers decides hey we want to make our own. Sucks you have all 7 or 8 harry potter movies but the last one is Ultraviolet. My girlfriend was PISSED.

Ultraviolet and not giving you DC in HD isn't helping pirating. I do understand where the companies are coming from because have you ever ebay'd digital copy. I bought Lion King on itunes on ebay for $6 bucks !!!

Look up avengers on ebay. People are selling the 3d blu ray for 5-10, the dvd for 5-10, the digital copy for 5-10 and the blu ray for $15.

I don't understand why they give you both a dvd and a blu ray. Instead of just a Blu ray but guess it's to keep the price high. I much rather get a DC then a DVD

The pricing is rather bizarre too. Take 'The Big Bang Theory'. BestTry had the first four seasons on sale a while ago. The DVD only set was, as I remember, $5.00 less than the Blu-ray sets. OK, deal. Odd thing was that the first two seasons were the DVD/Blu-ray set and the third and fourth were Blu-ray only. Same price. Odd... They basically 'fire sale'd' the DVD's. Now with season six, the DVD/Blu-ray set is the same price as the other seasons in the mix of Blu-ray only, and DVD/Blu-ray. Granted, I've not done an exhaustive price comparison, but the whole thing is just twisted... Was three and four available in the hybrid set?

I actually like the hybrid sets because when I travel I'll sometime take a DVD or two with me to play on the way, or while I'm there. I also send the DVD's to my Mom from time to time so she can watch an interesting movie she wants to see.

OH: I do actually own a 3D TV. YES, it's so freeing to come out of the closet! ;-) The reason is because the display is faster than other TV's in that price range (they were practically pushing them out the door at that time with such good pricing and bundle packages) and the 3D part actually works rather well. Well, if you keep your head level... Well, and don't have a hat on, or bangs.. Well, and sit as close a 90 degree angle to the TV as you can... It's actually not bad... Really... Although we don't watch 3D movies much... Despicable Me is a riot in 3D!

crzdcolombian
Sep 18, 2013, 11:43 AM
Not knocking 3d just saying other than Avatar I don't notice it as it came out as a 3d movie. Everyone else adds 3d after the movie was filmed.

That is another thing that bothers me about Itunes. Everything is always the same price and why is digital more expensive then buying something that comes with a physical copy+digital copy. Amazon mp3s (then itunes match them) is much much cheaper. Most cds are like $2-6 bucks. Movies I don't get why digital copies in HD are so much more expensive than SD. I get a dvd cost much less than a Blu Ray to produce but sending me a 1gb file or a 2-3 gb file shouldn't be a difference. You aren't giving me anything that I can't get for free offline and is much faster download. I downloaded the new Star Trek movie (HD :)) that came with the Blu ray and it took almost an hour to download. If I had gotten it on a bit torrent site it's much faster and free.

ftaok
Sep 18, 2013, 12:13 PM
So far, none of the iTunes digital downloads have been HD, at least none that I've encountered...

Are you referring to Disney films in particular or all movies? There are lots of movies that come with HD Digital Copies from iTunes. I think only Fox and Disney are the lone holdouts, but Disney has released one movie with an HD-DC ... Oz-the great and powerful.

Disney is doing something new. It's called Digital Copy Plus and it's a combination of iTunes, Vudu and Amazon. Not all of their future BluRays are coming with an iTunes code. However, they've listed that Monsters U and Iron Man 3 will come with an iTunes DC. I'm betting they will be HD resolution.

PinkyMacGodess
Sep 19, 2013, 08:18 AM
Are you referring to Disney films in particular or all movies? There are lots of movies that come with HD Digital Copies from iTunes. I think only Fox and Disney are the lone holdouts, but Disney has released one movie with an HD-DC ... Oz-the great and powerful.

Disney is doing something new. It's called Digital Copy Plus and it's a combination of iTunes, Vudu and Amazon. Not all of their future BluRays are coming with an iTunes code. However, they've listed that Monsters U and Iron Man 3 will come with an iTunes DC. I'm betting they will be HD resolution.

I was just going by my personal experience. None that I've encountered have been HD. So far no Disney, and one Sony disc specifically stated 'Download is in Standard Definition only'. I just ripped the Blu-ray... There are ways around their BS...

But at some time, it's all BS. Corporations will rule the planet, and we will all be puppets in chains... Talk about dystopian... There are two classes of people: The corporate overlords, and those they rule. The delicious part will be when overlords are tossed off the floating island of money... Oh, what a brutal fall... (Sorry, it's raining and dreary here. Effecting the mood.:(:o)

ftaok
Sep 19, 2013, 08:49 AM
I was just going by my personal experience. None that I've encountered have been HD. So far no Disney, and one Sony disc specifically stated 'Download is in Standard Definition only'. I just ripped the Blu-ray... There are ways around their BS...

Your experience with Disney is consistent with everyone else. Like I said above, they're going to a new "system" which, so far, includes an HD digital copy. The only one release yet, is Oz. Next Tuesday is the real test when they come out with Iron Man 3.

PinkyMacGodess
Sep 19, 2013, 08:58 AM
Your experience with Disney is consistent with everyone else. Like I said above, they're going to a new "system" which, so far, includes an HD digital copy. The only one release yet, is Oz. Next Tuesday is the real test when they come out with Iron Man 3.

Switching studios for a moment, you mentioned Despicable Me 2, and Monsters U (which is Disney), I haven't heard any release dates... It would be nice if they came out with iTunes DC's... Neither one I was able to see in the theaters here. Got too busy, plus it's hard to justify dropping $40.00 to see a movie...

BTW Monsters U has an interesting back story:

Plans for a second Monsters, Inc. film existed since 2005. Following disagreements between Disney CEO Michael Eisner and Pixar CEO Steve Jobs, Disney— which owned the rights to make sequels to all of Pixar's films up to Cars—announced that a sequel to Monsters, Inc. would be made by Circle 7 Animation, which was also working on an early draft of Toy Story 3. Titled Monsters, Inc. 2: Lost in Scaradise, the film would have focused on Mike and Sulley visiting the human world to give Boo a birthday present, only to find that she had moved. After getting trapped in the human world, Mike and Sulley split up after disagreeing on what to do. Screenwriters Rob Muir and Bob Hilgenberg were hired to write a script for the film, and storyboarded an early draft of it. However, Disney's change of management in late 2005—in which Eisner was replaced by Robert Iger—led to renewed negotiations with Pixar, and in early 2006 Disney announced it had purchased the studio. The Disney-owned sequel rights were then transferred to Pixar, leading to the cancellation of Muir and Hilgenberg's version of the film and the subsequent closure of Circle 7.

Thank you Steve!

Monsters U: October 29th.
Despicable Me 2: Sometime in November... They released Goggles (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/despicable-me-2-3d-goggles-best-buy-exclusive-blu-ray-3d/9392104.p?id=2717488&skuId=9392104&AID=10597222&PID=3594900&URL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bestbuy.com%2Fsite%2Folspage.jsp%3FskuId%3D9392104%26type%3Dproduct%26id%3D2717 488&ref=39&loc=01&CJPID=3594900) to watch it in 3D.

ftaok
Sep 19, 2013, 09:52 AM
Switching studios for a moment, you mentioned Despicable Me 2, and Monsters U (which is Disney), I haven't heard any release dates... It would be nice if they came out with iTunes DC's... Neither one I was able to see in the theaters here. Got too busy, plus it's hard to justify dropping $40.00 to see a movie...

BTW Monsters U has an interesting back story:

Thank you Steve!

Monsters U: October 29th.
Despicable Me 2: Sometime in November... They released Goggles (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/despicable-me-2-3d-goggles-best-buy-exclusive-blu-ray-3d/9392104.p?id=2717488&skuId=9392104&AID=10597222&PID=3594900&URL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bestbuy.com%2Fsite%2Folspage.jsp%3FskuId%3D9392104%26type%3Dproduct%26id%3D2717 488&ref=39&loc=01&CJPID=3594900) to watch it in 3D.

I don't think I mentioned Despicable Me 2, but seeing as how the recent BD release of Despicable Me had an HD iTunes code, I'd suspect that DM2 will as well. Pretty much all of Universal's recent releases of newer movies include the HD iTunes download.

As for Monsters U, I'm looking forward to it. My money is on it being an HD download.

Take a look at this the Digital Copy Plus release FAQ.

http://www.digitalcopyplus.com/providers

NOTE - the link above might not work properly. If you go into Info&Help, find the 3rd question under Participating Providers and click on HERE. It'll give you a chart of the DCPlus releases coming up.

PinkyMacGodess
Sep 19, 2013, 11:14 AM
Take a look at this the Digital Copy Plus release FAQ.

http://www.digitalcopyplus.com/providers

NOTE - the link above might not work properly. If you go into Info&Help, find the 3rd question under Participating Providers and click on HERE. It'll give you a chart of the DCPlus releases coming up.

Thanks! The link didn't work, but the instructions did. Nice to know. It only lists Disney and Marvel releases, but seeing iTunes popup so much is a good sign. It's kind of a PITA ripping discs all the time.

Movie corporations: I'd settle for standard def digital copies on iTunes, rather than retched Ultraviolet or Flixster... Although high def downloads would be appreciated.. ;)

alent1234
Sep 19, 2013, 06:21 PM
Not knocking 3d just saying other than Avatar I don't notice it as it came out as a 3d movie. Everyone else adds 3d after the movie was filmed.

That is another thing that bothers me about Itunes. Everything is always the same price and why is digital more expensive then buying something that comes with a physical copy+digital copy. Amazon mp3s (then itunes match them) is much much cheaper. Most cds are like $2-6 bucks. Movies I don't get why digital copies in HD are so much more expensive than SD. I get a dvd cost much less than a Blu Ray to produce but sending me a 1gb file or a 2-3 gb file shouldn't be a difference. You aren't giving me anything that I can't get for free offline and is much faster download. I downloaded the new Star Trek movie (HD :)) that came with the Blu ray and it took almost an hour to download. If I had gotten it on a bit torrent site it's much faster and free.

digital is in the impulse buy category which is why its more expensive and the movies come out earlier than blu ray
its to make more money for the studios

ftaok
Sep 24, 2013, 08:26 AM
OK,

I just checked the "spreadsheet" and Iron Man 3 has been updated. It indicates that the Digital Copy in the regular and 3D combo packs redeem in iTunes in HiDef.

This is good news and bodes well for the upcoming Pixar and Pixar-lite releases on Monsters University and Planes.

Yeah Boy!

-------------------

Wife picked up the 3D combo pack yesterday for me. It came with a DigitalCopyPlus code, which had to be input into a website, which spit out another code that allowed me to D/L into iTunes. The code on the insert did not work directly in iTunes, so it's a two step effort (really 1.5 steps since the website opened iTunes directly). Not as slick a process as the codes that came with World War Z or Star Trek Into Darkness.

And yes, the iTunes download is in HD. Seems like Digital Copy Plus is a good thing, as long as they keep including iTunes as a part of it.

Next Up - Monsters University just before Halloween.

crzdcolombian
Oct 1, 2013, 11:18 PM
I just got little Mermaid for my GF and it is an HD iTunes digital copy tho they basically let you download it on any digital media you want. They have amazon, google play, iTunes and ultraviolet. Hope other studios follow suit. I HATE ULTRA VIOLET

ftaok
Oct 2, 2013, 07:43 AM
I just got little Mermaid for my GF and it is an HD iTunes digital copy tho they basically let you download it on any digital media you want. They have amazon, google play, iTunes and ultraviolet. Hope other studios follow suit. I HATE ULTRA VIOLET

Not that I'm gonna pick up the Little Mermaid (already have the DVD) ... just wanted another data point.

Did your combo pack come with a sheet with a code? Were you able to input that code directly into iTunes, or did you have to redeem the code on a website, then download in iTunes?

I ask, because with Iron Man 3, you get the one code and it only allows you to download from 1 of the 4 services. The code is useless after you redeem. I pick iTunes by default, but it's nice to also have a Vudu copy as well.

My Star Trek and World War Z allowed me to input the code directly in iTunes. But I was also able to use the code in Vudu. That's the best of both worlds.

ASIDE - just to be nitpicky, Disney DVDs don't have Ultraviolet as an option. They are including Vudu (under the Digital Copy Plus banner). The confusion is that most folks equate Ultraviolet as the same as Vudu, but it's not. An analogy (for geeks) would be like comparing a video container vs. a codec. Sort of like h264 is the codec, but MKV is the container. Vudu is the container and UV (or DCP) is the codec.

brentsg
Oct 2, 2013, 08:01 AM
Little Mermaid is just like Iron Man 3, being Disney and all.

crzdcolombian
Oct 2, 2013, 09:55 AM
Little Mermaid is just like Iron Man 3, being Disney and all.

No little mermaid is just a normal digital copy you don't need a extra dvd to make it work.

Tho you need to go to a special site to download it. I didn't try to put it directly on itunes so I am not sure.

Iron Man 3 which si probably the longest toy commercial I have ever seen but not as bad as Batman & Robin is a digital copy + dvd.

ftaok
Oct 2, 2013, 11:38 AM
No little mermaid is just a normal digital copy you don't need a extra dvd to make it work.

Tho you need to go to a special site to download it. I didn't try to put it directly on itunes so I am not sure.

Iron Man 3 which si probably the longest toy commercial I have ever seen but not as bad as Batman & Robin is a digital copy + dvd.

Actually, it sounds like Iron Man 3 is the same setup as Little Mermaid. Mine had 3 disc (3D Bluray, Bluray, and DVD). The digital copy is redeemed using the insert.

Sounds like all Disney related products are the same. I only ask because Iron Man 3 is distributed by Paramount, not Disney ... even though Disney owns Marvel. Who know how/why these things are, but whatever.

I just wanted another data point as my next purchase will be Monsters University and I wanted to figure out if it would have an HD iTunes download.

brentsg
Oct 2, 2013, 12:10 PM

Iron Man 3 and The Little Mermaid are exactly the same in terms of the digital copy. Both require you to input a code on a Disney site. That generates a code for the service of your choice. There are no disks involved.

I have redeemed both.