Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nachofv92

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 9, 2013
Hi. I was wondering this: Hypothetically speaking, what would happen when the final Mavericks version is released to the general public if someone had downloaded and installed Mavericks (seeded for developers only) without being a developer?
I mean, would he just have to pay? Or could he just keep on using it without any payment? Would the OS deactivate or something? Would it downgrade to previous version before the final release is coming out? :confused:

Thanks for your help.

Nov 28, 2010
located
I am not saying anything about the price, of course I'd pay it happily when it comes out. I'm just asking what would happen in this case.

If you have the GM version of OS X 10.9 Mavericks, it will be still functioning after the official and public release of OS X 10.9 Mavericks.
I cannot say anything about the DP versions of it though, but Apple hardly does implement measures to prevent using illegally obtained software.

nachofv92

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 9, 2013
I cannot say anything about the DP versions of it though, but Apple hardly does implement measures to prevent using illegally obtained software.

So you're saying that DP version will update to final version without having to pay for it ?

Ddyracer

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2009
So you're saying that DP version will update to final version without having to pay for it ?

Far from it. He's saying your build will still work when the public release of 10.9 is out. You will have to pay for Mavs when it comes out or pirate it. You can upgrade straight to Mavs from GM or whatever.

w0lf

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2013
USA

If it's like years past the last Developer build will be the GM, it will be the exact same thing that gets publicly released and you will be able to continue to use it as normal. You will also continue to receive all developer and point updates without doing anything special.

koolaid-drinker

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2012
Kingsport,Tn

Here's what will happen.

Only people who have a developer or appleseed account will be able to have their version updated to the final version/build.

It has to do with the appleseed program that is installed onto your machine.

Without that...you are stuck at the version you downloaded.

ATC

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2008
Canada
Hi. I was wondering this: Hypothetically speaking, what would happen when the final Mavericks version is released to the general public if someone had downloaded and installed Mavericks (seeded for developers only) without being a developer?
I mean, would he just have to pay? Or could he just keep on using it without any payment? Would the OS deactivate or something? Would it downgrade to previous version before the final release is coming out? :confused:

Thanks for your help.

As others have posted, it'll continue to work without any interruptions (unlike MSFT which treats all its customers as thieves until proven otherwise through WGA and the like, Apple generally gives its customers the benefit of the doubt).

Having said that, IMO the right thing to do is to get it yourself using your Apple ID. Not only is it very cheap (if history is any indication it'll be $19.99), but once you have it in your MAS Purchases portfolio, you'll always be able to download the latest iteration, on all your Macs, with all the point updates built-in in case you ever want to do a clean install and not have to update right after. (For example, I can go into the MAS right now and re-download the 10.8 installer and it'll be the 10.8.4 version so no update is required after install)

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
If the people are non-developers they got the beta from somewhere and obviously they could get the GM from the same source.

I'm not a developer and get the Preview Seeding invitations directly from Apple addressed to me. I also have an AppleSeed account. Have been getting them for the last 2 (Lion and SL) previous OS (although I did not participate before). I also got a Windows iCloud beta ( :confused:) and OS X iCloud beta invitations. Not sure (or don't remember) how I got on the list but.....

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
If it's like years past the last Developer build will be the GM, it will be the exact same thing that gets publicly released and you will be able to continue to use it as normal. You will also continue to receive all developer and point updates without doing anything special.

That is a big IF. Since I'm a registered developer I got the activation code and in my App Store it lists OS X 10.9 Developer Preview under my Purchases. I don't know if those who installed it without it showing up as Purchases are currently receiving automatic updates with each DP.

Either way - It is possible that when the GM is posted they will give a different activation code for the final release. So they could theoretically stop updates to the Developer Preview purchase and shutdown the update channel for it.

It is interesting because I'm hearing rumors that they may do exactly that. But I'm also been hearing rumors that while they may do that, that Maverick may end up being a FREE update but you will need an App Store account to download/register it.

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
That is a big IF. Since I'm a registered developer I got the activation code and in my App Store it lists OS X 10.9 Developer Preview under my Purchases. I don't know if those who installed it without it showing up as Purchases are currently receiving automatic updates with each DP.

If you installed DP1 without it showing up as a purchase the automatic updates are still received.

I certainly always expected to pay for the final product - I assumed that DPs would either expire at some point, or not receive updates once the final release goes out. The price of OS X updates is more than reasonable.

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2012
The last DP may just update to GM and then it will update to future public updates.

That's what happened with mountain lion even though apple say you can't update a DP to the final version. What they should say instead is that you shouldn't update a DP to GM. There may be bugs in a DP which carry over to a system updated to GM and never get fixed in subsequent updates. A clean install of GM is better (or update from a previous public version to GM of the next one).

If you one day obtain the GM through illegitimate means, a disadvantage is that it won't show up in your purchases in mas.

I have found the purchases tab useful in the past, and so I intend to obtain all this stuff only by legitimate means, so pay for the developer account - and even if I have to buy mavericks in mas, I'll do that too (although that would be unlikely because apple probably will give developers a free redemption code for the GM)

rayhigh

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2012
Here's what will happen.

Only people who have a developer or appleseed account will be able to have their version updated to the final version/build.

It has to do with the appleseed program that is installed onto your machine.

Without that...you are stuck at the version you downloaded.

Wrong.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.