PDA

View Full Version : MBA 2013 i7 8GB - Gaming ability?

M0V3M3N7
Aug 10, 2013, 09:25 AM
Hi all, I looked for an existing thread on this but failed to find one - do point me in the right direction if there is!

Just recieved my new 13" 2013 MBA - i7, 8gb, 256gb. Was wondering whether anyone out there had tried any of the more graphically demanding games in the app store on theirs yet - something like COD Black Opps etc. Does it run fast enough? Is it payable?

Obviously I didn't buy the MBA for gaming, but I'm tempted to see how it will perform - however unwilling to waste $40 or whatever downloading a game thats unplayable.

Thanks in advance!

macaddict77
Aug 10, 2013, 10:06 AM
well basically, i think, the only possible bottleneck that could throttle your performance would be the graphics card (if at all). your other stats (i7 & 8gb ram) should suffice for gaming. although the i7 in macbook airs is dual core not quad core (which shouldn't make a difference for gaming because most or all games are not coded for multi processors), but still a weaker processor and lower clock rate compared to other i7s in imac and macbook pro...

according to the MacAppStore, COD: BO does not support the HD3000 or HD4000 graphics cards, but does not specify whether the HD5000 (in your macbook air) is supported. furthermore according to mactracker, the HD5000 shares up to 1 GB LPDDR3 SDRAM from your main memory, which on one hand sounds like a lot, but on the other it's shared memory, not dedicated. the minimum amount required for COD: BO is 512mb...

anyways what i'm trying to say is that i think your macbook will be able to run and play (i'm making an educated guess) demanding games like COD: BO. but since i don't own one myself it's hard to really make a definitive statement about this...

to be sure try this: make an account at gameagent.com and then you can run macmatch, which will tell you if your mac is compatible with a game!

hope this helps!

one last thing: there is a dedicated forum section for gaming: http://forums.macrumors.com/forumdisplay.php?f=101

Suraj R.
Aug 10, 2013, 12:12 PM
Hi all, I looked for an existing thread on this but failed to find one - do point me in the right direction if there is!

Just recieved my new 13" 2013 MBA - i7, 8gb, 256gb. Was wondering whether anyone out there had tried any of the more graphically demanding games in the app store on theirs yet - something like COD Black Opps etc. Does it run fast enough? Is it payable?

Obviously I didn't buy the MBA for gaming, but I'm tempted to see how it will perform - however unwilling to waste $40 or whatever downloading a game thats unplayable.

Thanks in advance!

I run COD 4 at full 1440*900 on the inbuilt display and 1920*1080 on an external monitor fine with my i5/8 setup. I get around 35 - 60 FPS for the most part but in some instances it shoots up to around 90 or drops to around 24 (only for a few seconds). Definitely playable.

I also play Borderlands and Bioshock and they all work fine. You should be good with BO.

M0V3M3N7
Aug 10, 2013, 01:56 PM
Thanks guys, I'm gonna go for it - starting with borderlands 2!

I know everyone knows how awesome the battery is on these systems - but god they're great! Unplugged all day, only just getting low now!

ZBoater
Aug 10, 2013, 04:06 PM
You are not going to be unplugged all day if you are playing games. The most I've gotten playing Civ5 unplugged is 3 hours.

M0V3M3N7
Aug 10, 2013, 05:33 PM
yep - obviously wouldn't be planning on playing games unplugged.

Incidentally, on mostly medium settings borderlands 2 plays great, no noticeable lag, graphics look good, gameplay is pretty great.

So next question - how hot should the mac run before its too hot? I use SMC Fan control to try and keep it cool - but playing the game it was getting to 96/97 celcius, at least thats what SMC was reporting. This probably is not great for the processor is it? :(

I usually try to keep it around 50!

macaddict77
Aug 12, 2013, 03:26 AM
check out this useful thread:
MacBook Air 2013 Gaming Performance (Intel HD 5000)

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1594690

M0V3M3N7
Aug 12, 2013, 07:49 AM
check out this useful thread:
MacBook Air 2013 Gaming Performance (Intel HD 5000)

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1594690

Thanks!