PDA

View Full Version : ibook super drive too noisy?

findpankaj
Nov 17, 2005, 10:09 AM
got my 14" ibook yesterday. Everything is great. I ran hardware test and callibrated the battery. One thing which is very noticeable is the sound the super drive makes. I ran a DVD yesterday the video was good but the drive is a bit noisy while playing and too noisy while and just after loading of DVD. ANybody else noticed the same? or this is my ibook only?

Will Cheyney
Nov 17, 2005, 01:41 PM
Noisy in what way? Scratching sounds, clicking sounds of just the "woosshh" of the disc spinning?
Also, try other disc. I've found in the past that some discs are louder when in the drive spinning. It's something to do with the way in which the data is read.
As long as the noise isn't above what you'd consider unacceptable then my guessing is that everything is just fine.

I love how all Mac users are fanatical about their machines! When I got my G5 I was so pedantic about little beeps, clicks or noise levels. In the end I swore I was making things up to be "wrong" with it.

mad jew
Nov 17, 2005, 03:19 PM
FWIW my iBook's Combo drive is quite loud. It clunks when I put a disk in and whirrs pretty loudly as it accesses the disk. It's not unbearable but it's noticeably louder than my other Mac drives. :(

manzanaloca
Nov 17, 2005, 03:46 PM
FWIW my iBook's Combo drive is quite loud. It clunks when I put a disk in and whirrs pretty loudly as it accesses the disk. It's not unbearable but it's noticeably louder than my other Mac drives. :(

I noticed the loud "clunk" too when inserting a DVD, scared the heck out of me. :p The ibook DVD-slot is just like the CD player in my car, and that one doesn't make any noise when you insert a CD.

But when I play a movie on my ibook I don't notice it being any louder than normal.

(P.S. - Where is the program to run the hardware test and the battery calibration?)

mad jew
Nov 17, 2005, 08:07 PM
(P.S. - Where is the program to run the hardware test and the battery calibration?)

There's a dedicated disk that comes with new Macs called Hardware Test CD (or something to that effect) which, when booted off, provides some tests for you to run. As for calibrating the battery, that's just a matter of running it completely flat before charging it completely up again. Try to do it monthly if possible. :)

Alasta
Nov 17, 2005, 08:34 PM
I have the latest 12" iBook, and I find the combo drive to be extremely loud. It's one of the few things about this machine that irritates me but, because it's a smooth whirring noise, I'm quite certain that there's nothing wrong with my hardware.

mkrishnan
Nov 17, 2005, 08:49 PM
I've had the loud though, with other laptop drives too... Including a Thinkpad, of all things. I think it's mostly bad when high-speed reading or writing is being done. My combo drive is not loud when playing a DVD, like it is when ripping a CD as quickly as it can.... Is this the same for everyone else in the thread, or do you get a lot of noise even when playing a DVD or a song directly off the CD?

mad jew
Nov 18, 2005, 12:07 AM
Mine's much quieter when it's playing DVDs compared to ripping music.